Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded radiator.. not mountune or mishimoto

Hey guys
Does anyone use an upgraded radiator like an air tec or pro alloy
Not interested in mountune or mishimoto as mountune no longer sell them here and Mish seems to have a very low quality as seen on these forums

Also does anyone have any testing results for the above radiators or your avg temps vs oem

Thank you

I got a mishimoto clone off eBay. Cheaper price and good quality. I've been using it for a year and it's been running great, the only problem was that I had to fabricate my own mounting brackets.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Zero issues with Mishimoto and I track the Southeast. Had it for years.

First of all try to use Mishimoto thermostat - opening at 71 instead of Ford opening at 97 deg.C.
https://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-fiesta-st-2014-thermostat.html
Second turn could be to use
https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/extra-cool-2/
Which is useful and makes the water temperature lower.
Having at disposal cooler water for the water/oil heat exchanger (located under the oil filter) - usually you go 75 deg.C instead of 100 deg.C warm water - helps also to keep the engine oil temperature lower.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
First of all try to use Mishimoto thermostat - opening at 71 instead of Ford opening at 97 deg.C.
https://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-fiesta-st-2014-thermostat.html
Second turn could be to use
https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/extra-cool-2/
Which is useful and makes the water temperature lower.
Having at disposal cooler water for the water/oil heat exchanger (located under the oil filter) - usually you go 75 deg.C instead of 100 deg.C warm water - helps also to keep the engine oil temperature lower.
There is only one distributor/retailer for Millers products here in the states.

So an alternative would be this product, from a trusted company, which does not do any funny gumming up/sliming reactions like the popular Red Line red Water Wetter tends to do in some Dexcool-like coolant chemistries;

https://www.lubegard.com/products/koolit-treatment/

Just recently bought a Koyorad from Ron, Ron had it available for sale pretty much after this tread, and while Mishimoto and Mountune radiators are the go to on this forum, my experience from other platforms had me rejoice when Koyorad joined the party. So anyways, finished the install over the weekend and the radiator removal and install itself isn't that bad, and if I were to do another one, I think I would be able to handle it within an hour forsure. But I installed Mishimoto hoses and the thermostat. OMG, that was a PITA. After doing it, I'm sure I would be able to do all three within 2 hours, but that learning curve! Just FYI, while the Mishimoto hoses weren't very user friendly in installation, well, just the upper hose, to do the thermostat, definitely don't require the removal of the entire front section to get it done in a timely manner. In my opinion, remove the passenger headlight and alternator and you're golden. And fins on the Koyo are sensitive so I utilized the Koyo bag when I reinstalled the fan.
The results are fuggen amazing to say the least. I drive pretty spirited, and prior to my cooling mods, I would regularly see 190 degrees for my coolant temp and anywhere from 190 degrees to 220 degrees for oil temp (the latter when I'm WOT) and now I see anywhere from 155 degrees to 17x degrees and 170 degrees to 180 degrees in oil temp. I'll look again tommorow for accuracy.
End of the day, Koyo in conjunction with the Mishimoto thermostat and hoses, is legit and definitely fits my style of driving.

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
There is only one distributor/retailer for Millers products here in the states.

So an alternative would be this product, from a trusted company, which does not do any funny gumming up/sliming reactions like the popular Red Line red Water Wetter tends to do in some Dexcool-like coolant chemistries;

https://www.lubegard.com/products/koolit-treatment/
From what I remember, water wetter is designed to be used with water only. Dexcool has powdered walnut shells to address block porosity problems with lost foam casting so yes it gums up. Look at the inside of the rad caps after dex has been run for years. You'll see it.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Just recently bought a Koyorad from Ron, Ron had it available for sale pretty much after this tread, and while Mishimoto and Mountune radiators are the go to on this forum, my experience from other platforms had me rejoice when Koyorad joined the party. So anyways, finished the install over the weekend and the radiator removal and install itself isn't that bad, and if I were to do another one, I think I would be able to handle it within an hour forsure. But I installed Mishimoto hoses and the thermostat. OMG, that was a PITA. After doing it, I'm sure I would be able to do all three within 2 hours, but that learning curve! Just FYI, while the Mishimoto hoses weren't very user friendly in installation, well, just the upper hose, to do the thermostat, definitely don't require the removal of the entire front section to get it done in a timely manner. In my opinion, remove the passenger headlight and alternator and you're golden. And fins on the Koyo are sensitive so I utilized the Koyo bag when I reinstalled the fan.
The results are fuggen amazing to say the least. I drive pretty spirited, and prior to my cooling mods, I would regularly see 190 degrees for my coolant temp and anywhere from 190 degrees to 220 degrees for oil temp (the latter when I'm WOT) and now I see anywhere from 155 degrees to 17x degrees and 170 degrees to 180 degrees in oil temp. I'll look again tommorow for accuracy.
End of the day, Koyo in conjunction with the Mishimoto thermostat and hoses, is legit and definitely fits my style of driving.
Does just a radiator upgrade work well without doing the thermostat?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, for anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and not open tracking the car multiple times a month in season, the lower temp thermostat is not necessary.

Even if I were ever to do it, because; open tracking, I would only use the Motorcraft 180* deal, and NOT the severe Death Valley desert temps on a road course type use Mishi 160* one. [wink]

In fact, in the colder climes (IF you use the car at all in the winter, of course), it can be quite detrimental, especially in tandem with an already very efficient aftermarket radiator!

But this is GREAT news that we have yet another option for an efficient aftermarket radiator. [twothumb]

Did it seem like you could have installed it the same way the Mountune is done IF you were not swapping out the thermostat, or the bottom radiator hose at the same time?

Erick_V

Does just a radiator upgrade work well without doing the thermostat?
Yes. I’m in Texas so I can get away with running an 80/20 mix w/ water wetter year round unlike the northern folk. I still have my OEM thermostat (MY2016). Even at my track day I only got to like 235 and that was after the session sitting in grid waiting to park. Mind you that was after running laps for 15-20 minutes. I have the cooler thermostat in the bag but waited to install because I saw how much of a PITA it was. I have never worried about cooling issues since my rad install.

FYI I’m Running a Mountune Rad

Yeah, for anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and not open tracking the car multiple times a month in season, the lower temp thermostat is not necessary.

Even if I were ever to do it, because; open tracking, I would only use the Motorcraft 180* deal, and NOT the severe Death Valley desert temps on a road course type use Mishi 160* one. [wink]

In fact, in the colder climes (IF you use the car at all in the winter, of course), it can be quite detrimental, especially in tandem with an already very efficient aftermarket radiator!

But this is GREAT news that we have yet another option for an efficient aftermarket radiator. [twothumb]

Did it seem like you could have installed it the same way the Mountune is done IF you were not swapping out the thermostat, or the bottom radiator hose at the same time?
I believe so. The radiator removal and install was not problematic, just have to be sensitive to the radiator fins is all. Go through the bottom or top, whatever is easiest, do it. 🤷. I don't believe installation of the other three parts actually changed anything I did or didn't do for the actual radiator removal and installation.
Oh yeah, I also loosened the A/C condenser to remove and install the thermostat BTW my FiST brethren.
The only complaint I would have to say, is that the Koyorad doesn't come with instructions.
BTW, Koyorad is 1 1/2" thick vs OEM is 1" thick.