Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

V-MAXX 290mm Big Brake Kit for 15" Wheels

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I installed a brake kit today made by V-MAXX Autosport. I bought this kit because I needed better brakes for track days but they also needed fit under my Team Dynamics 15x8 Pro Race 1.2s. Here are a few of the features;
  • 4-piston forged aluminium calipers
  • High performance brake pads (Ferodo DS2500)
  • Grooved 2-piece high carbon steel brake discs / ultra light floating aluminum hubs (290mm)
I ordered the optional stainless brake lines but as it turns out I was able to use the StopTech lines I already had installed. I also purchased a set of Ferodo DS1.11 front brake pads for track days.

Last edited:
Are the pads a standard size? I was looking at that kit, but got scared off when I couldn't determine the pad size.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #4
Are the pads a standard size? I was looking at that kit, but got scared off when I couldn't determine the pad size.

Yes but I'm only ordering Ferodo brand pads. The brake pad code is FRP218. You add the corresponding letter to the code for the pad you want to get.

For example, if you want the DS1.11 compound you would order FRP218W. See picture below.

Here is a helpful chart for choosing your compound.

I have been ordering Ferodo pads from Speed Freaks USA with no issues.

https://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21260744-ferodo-ds1-11-frp218w.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but I'm only ordering Ferodo brand pads. The brake pad code is FRP218. You add the corresponding letter to the code for the pad you want to get.
That's perfect, thanks! I was trying to figure out what size that would be for a set of Carbotech or G-LOC pads (they just stick "CT" or "GP" on the front and that's their size designation).

I'll be watching to see how you like these on track. Especially now that I know I can get pads and replacement parts.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #6
I'll be watching to see how you like these on track. Especially now that I know I can get pads and replacement parts.
I'll let you know how these perform on track after June 9th. I'll be running the DS1.11 pads with this kit for track days. Right now I'm running the DS2500 pads that it comes with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you eventually going to get a more 'track worthy' tire on the car (I KNOW that those Contis are pretty good for what they are, a 340 tread wear donut, but they are a decent wearing, 340 tread wear summer STREET tire [wink])??

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #8
Are you eventually going to get a more 'track worthy' tire on the car (I KNOW that those Contis are pretty good for what they are, a 340 tread wear donut, but they are a decent wearing, 340 tread wear summer STREET tire [wink])??
Absolutely! I have another set of TDs for track use with a fresh set of Hankook R-S4s mounted and ready to go.

Interesting! I think this is the only kit with floating rotors that will fit in 15ā€ wheels, no? Do you know if they fit within the stock wheel offset? Where did you get them from and how much did it cost? Looking forward to the track review!

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #10
Interesting! I think this is the only kit with floating rotors that will fit in 15ā€ wheels, no? Do you know if they fit within the stock wheel offset? Where did you get them from and how much did it cost? Looking forward to the track review!
This is the only kit that I know of that will fit under the 15x8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s out of the box with no wheel spacers required.

I don't have stock wheels to test fit but there is a template you can print out on the V-MAXX Autosport website when you look up the kit. You can use that with your wheels to make sure the calipers will clear. That's what I did so I wouldn't be taking a chance on them possibly not fitting under my wheels. I would highly recommend using it!

https://www.v-maxx.com/en/products/big-brake-kits/712855

You can purchase directly from V-MAXX or from Jamsport (UK website). I purchased mine from Jamsport. It will cost you around $1400 shipped.

Last edited:
Nice! My chief complaint with the track performance of the stock brakes is lack of feedback so I have a feeling that something of this size might be perfect for me.

EDIT: I just read through the installation manual on their website and it says to remove the dust seals for the pistons before track use, so I guess the seals arenā€™t high-temp rated?

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #12
Nice! My chief complaint with the track performance of the stock brakes is lack of feedback so I have a feeling that something of this size might be perfect for me.
Yeah, these or any other BBK out there should help immensely on track.

If I didn't already have 2 sets of the TD Pro Race wheels in 15x8 I'd have probably gone with a BBK with larger rotors but this was the best option for my wheel setup. My biggest problem with the stock brakes was the lack of heat dissipation running a 15" wheel. So I'm also going to run brake ducting from the front bumper to the brakes now that I have a set of the brake cooling duct plates from CMBuildz.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #13
EDIT: I just read through the installation manual on their website and it says to remove the dust seals for the pistons before track use, so I guess the seals arenā€™t high-temp rated?
Yeah, probably not high temp.

It seems to be fairly common practice to remove dust seals for track use on multi-piston brake calipers from the research I've done online. They tend to deteriorate due to the high temps, even high temp ones may not last long. Some say it's perfectly fine to run without them as long as you are vigilant and inspect and maintain the caliper.

I think it really depends on driving style and how hard you are on the brakes. More braking = more heat, so on and so forth. I'm leaving mine installed since my car is my daily driver with the occasional track day. I'll inspect the brakes afterwards to determine whether or not they are holding up and go from there. I plan to change pads for track days anyway so they'll be fairly easy to check when the pads come out.

These look really promising, but I'm only seeing their website as a source of replacement rotors. Where were you planning on getting them and how much will they run you? Because ā‚¬400 is pretty steep for me when I'm replacing the front rotors 1-2 times a year, not to mention how long they will take to get to Texas.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #15
These look really promising, but I'm only seeing their website as a source of replacement rotors. Where were you planning on getting them and how much will they run you? Because ā‚¬400 is pretty steep for me when I'm replacing the front rotors 1-2 times a year, not to mention how long they will take to get to Texas.

They aren't cheap, that's for sure. I plan to buy from V-MAXX or one of their vendors. I'm fairly certain my rotors will last me a while because I'm only doing 2-3 track days per year. I knew the cost going in so I'm ok with that. If a more affordable solution turns up then great but thus far this is what is available.

By comparison, replacements for the Wilwoods are roughly $300 for a set plus shipping. There are plenty of other BBK options out there just not so much for 15" wheels unfortunately.

I'll be sure to update the thread on actual cost when the time comes for replacement.

Last edited:
Is it possible to replace the pads from the top of the caliper by removing that one socket head cap screw? From the manual it looks like they intend on the use removing the caliper to replace the pads?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #17
Is it possible to replace the pads from the top of the caliper by removing that one socket head cap screw? From the manual it looks like they intend on the use removing the caliper to replace the pads?
I have to look into that and get back to you, I'm not sure.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #19
Do you know how much lighter these are than stock?
I can weigh them next chance I get and compare them to stock weight. I'm guessing they're in the neighborhood of 10-12 lbs. lighter than stock.