Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Virginia State Inspection Failed

I failed the Va state inspection today because my Mishimoto downpipe didn't have this requirement. I installed it yesterday and was completely ignorant of this requirement.

Does anyone know of any after-market maker of downpipes that would have this?

19VAC30-70-310 Air pollution control system or device - This only a partial of the guideline.
Any new or used after market catalytic converter installed on a vehicle after December 31, 1987, shall meet and be installed in accordance with specifications established by the Environmental Protection Agency. A catalytic converter so installed shall be identified with a visible, permanent, nondestructible label or stamp which will identify the manufacturer, vehicle application and month and year of manufacture. The label shall be in accordance with the following format:
a. New converters - N/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ
b. Used converters - U/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ
N - New converter designation
U - Used converter designation
XX - Manufacturer code issued by EPA
YYYY - Numerical designation of vehicle application
ZZZZ - Month and year of manufacture (i.e. - 0188 for January, 1988)

slopoke

I don't think that any of the currently available ones have EPA certified cats. The only thing you can do is, put the stock one on just for the inspection, or take a non catted aftermarket downpipe and get a EPA certified cat incorporated into it. Gsport has EPA certified high flow cats, but in total, it's going to be an expensive project. Good luck.

https://gsportbygesi.com/

OP
albeeen
Thread Starter #3
Thank you! Also reached out to a member that suggested a place that's more relaxed on inspections.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Ohio in the counties that have E-Check, take a quick look for a cat, then plug in OBDll, test gas cap if you have one, then your done and it's free. I used to do VA state inspections in the early 90's, all I did was look under the car to see if the cat was installed, no testing required. If their still doing sight only inspection just install a catted down pipe and your good to go.

Magnetic

I don't think that any of the currently available ones have EPA certified cats. The only thing you can do is, put the stock one on just for the inspection, or take a non catted aftermarket downpipe and get a EPA certified cat incorporated into it. Gsport has EPA certified high flow cats, but in total, it's going to be an expensive project. Good luck.

https://gsportbygesi.com/
That's actually worth the money for those folks in California type states. Saves on having to remove/reinstall the catless DP. I would totally go that route if needed. Pricey but legit and worth it.

slopoke

That's actually worth the money for those folks in California type states. Saves on having to remove/reinstall the catless DP. I would totally go that route if needed. Pricey but legit and worth it.

Those EPA certified cats won't help us in CA. It has to have a California CARB EO number. Off of the top of my head, I don't know of any universal cats with an EO number.

Magnetic

Those EPA certified cats won't help us in CA. It has to have a California CARB EO number. Off of the top of my head, I don't know of any universal cats with an EO number.
Damn, typical California. That's why I left and moved to AZ.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Cobb Currently has in testing here for an EO number a Gesi( high flow cat) catted downpipe . That Downpipe is already EPA 49 state legal and they are selling it to everyone but Cali residents right now. They are also in the works with a Carbon Fiber intake crossover pipe setup that is under EO testing.

slopoke

Cobb Currently has in testing here for an EO number a Gesi( high flow cat) catted downpipe . That Downpipe is already EPA 49 state legal and they are selling it to everyone but Cali residents right now. They are also in the works with a Carbon Fiber intake crossover pipe setup that is under EO testing.

I wonder what the MSRP of that unit will be. The MSRP of the Gen 1 UHO cat from Gsport is close to $400. Coupled with the cost of getting an EO number, the cost would probably be more than either a Mountune or CPE catted downpipe, which is above $600.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wonder what the MSRP of that unit will be. The MSRP of the Gen 1 UHO cat from Gsport is close to $400. Coupled with the cost of getting an EO number, the cost would probably be more than either a Mountune or CPE catted downpipe, which is above $600.
Its going for $600 and I will pay that if it comes with a EO number as between it and the intake having EO numbers I will be pretty safe under the hood. guy will look at the cat I will show him the EO and same with the intake and he will go okay and plug it in and read the ecu with either a Cobb EO certified flash or the factory and I will be smogged.

Sam4

I'd like to see if the OEM downpipe from Ford has the correct label. They have f^cked us so often with shitty parts (think of the heater flap gear). My front pipe has lost the bracket studs so has excess movement, accentuating all of the other various creaks and groans. OK, so they were rusted when I replaced the rear motor mount (2nd time), and I knew they were going to snap off.....

OP
albeeen
Thread Starter #13
I'd like to see if the OEM downpipe from Ford has the correct label. They have f^cked us so often with shitty parts (think of the heater flap gear). My front pipe has lost the bracket studs so has excess movement, accentuating all of the other various creaks and groans. OK, so they were rusted when I replaced the rear motor mount (2nd time), and I knew they were going to snap off.....
Thank guys for your replies! I still have the oem downpipe and saw no labels on it. Downpipe heat shield also no label. If I put that back on and get it reinspected would they pass it? I think since it was a shiny brand new downpipe that's what triggered the inspector to take a closer look at it. It was a Firestone auto care that I took it to. The tech I spoke to (not the inspector) is an enthusiast in the Subie world so we connected. He gave me his schedule for this weekend and said I could bring it in then and he would reinspect it. <wink wink>

OP
albeeen
Thread Starter #15
That's great! I guess I'll get the Cobb and sell the Mishimoto here soon. I want to 'set it and forget it'. When I was shopping for a downpipe, I liked the ones that had the supporting bracket like oem. My thinking is less stress on the 3 bolts on the turbo to downpipe connection. Mishi and cp-e had that feature with Mishi being less expensive so I chose that one.