Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Want new clutch since old one seems to slip, which one for my setup?

So, posted awhile back and also found threads of folks mentioning the same thing I feel: after driving for awhile (usually 2+ hrs), when I get in stop-n-go traffic, clutch appears to be slipping...it's either fully engaged or not at all...very herky jerky. So, I think I need a new clutch. At about 89k miles now. Mods in signature. Trying to stay close to stock but want it to last. If it needs to be a little stiffer, so be it (mustang guy in a previous life...I thought I was going to kick through the floor the first time I drove a FiST). Any suggestions? Don't need anything crazy, not going auto-xing or anything. Just need it to get out of its own way and get me to work. Ones that I've seen folks post about with favorable opinions/comments are:
-stock
-ST200

..and that's it. haha. seems like Ford/AP did a good job with their "joint venture". I'm leaning towards ST200 just to take any extra spirited drives I may throw at it.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When you feel the clutch slip, does it cause the car to feel like it looses power for a second? Sorta like stuttering? My FiST has very similar miles to yours and it does this stuttering thing after I've been driving for a while. I'm new to manuals, so I don't know what a dying clutch feels like.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
When you feel the clutch slip, does it cause the car to feel like it looses power for a second? Sorta like stuttering? My FiST has very similar miles to yours and it does this stuttering thing after I've been driving for a while. I'm new to manuals, so I don't know what a dying clutch feels like.
You typically notice a slipping clutch when under load. The engine revs but you don't get the acceleration to go with the revs.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You typically notice a slipping clutch when under load. The engine revs but you don't get the acceleration to go with the revs.
This. If you’re anal like me, you keep logs forever. Easy way to tell if clutch is slipping is to floor it in 3rd gear and take a new log. Compare RPM to MPH in the new log versus old log. One single log may not be enough data point, however.

OP
358R
Thread Starter #6
So, to this point, i know what slippage feels like in that sense. I guess it's more coming off a stop that I notice it the most. So, maybe something else?

OP
358R
Thread Starter #7
Eh, i'm not sure it quite feels like it's losing power. But more like I've forgotten how to use a clutch and I let out too fast or rode the clutch too long all the way out...if that makes any sense.

Eh, i'm not sure it quite feels like it's losing power. But more like I've forgotten how to use a clutch and I let out too fast or rode the clutch too long all the way out...if that makes any sense.
I think I have experienced similar in the past, I wrote it off as a non-issue. To me it felt as if the clutch material gets "grabbier" the warmer it gets, I dont feel slipping and it is as you are letting the clutch out beginning to move from a stop, to me it feels as if you are feeling each "power stroke" of the engine in acceleration, but only when slipping while accelerating. I have only felt this when the car was thoroughly warm (1hr driving or more). In my mind it was the coefficient of friction of the clutch disk getting grabbier as it warmed up, making feathering/slipping the clutch more challenging as it wants to grab and accelerate.

The first time I experienced this was in a 320hp MK6 VW GTI with a lightweight flywheel and a very grabby clutch. from cold it was easy to drive, but ~10 min later when things had gotten up to operating temp it was the most difficult clutch I had ever used, and required lots of RPMs to slip past to prevent the engine from stalling as the clutch just wanted to fully engage all the time. Granted this was a combo problem of lightweight flywheel and fancy clutch that made it really terrible to drive on the street.

In my fiesta it feels like a much more tame and easy to work past version of the same problem.

just my 2 cents, I don't plan on changing anything in my car...

Hope you can get to the bottom of it!

OP
358R
Thread Starter #10
I think I have experienced similar in the past, I wrote it off as a non-issue. To me it felt as if the clutch material gets "grabbier" the warmer it gets, I dont feel slipping and it is as you are letting the clutch out beginning to move from a stop, to me it feels as if you are feeling each "power stroke" of the engine in acceleration, but only when slipping while accelerating. I have only felt this when the car was thoroughly warm (1hr driving or more). In my mind it was the coefficient of friction of the clutch disk getting grabbier as it warmed up, making feathering/slipping the clutch more challenging as it wants to grab and accelerate.

The first time I experienced this was in a 320hp MK6 VW GTI with a lightweight flywheel and a very grabby clutch. from cold it was easy to drive, but ~10 min later when things had gotten up to operating temp it was the most difficult clutch I had ever used, and required lots of RPMs to slip past to prevent the engine from stalling as the clutch just wanted to fully engage all the time. Granted this was a combo problem of lightweight flywheel and fancy clutch that made it really terrible to drive on the street.

In my fiesta it feels like a much more tame and easy to work past version of the same problem.

just my 2 cents, I don't plan on changing anything in my car...

Hope you can get to the bottom of it!
What you said. This is a very good description. Good thing there's one of us in here (you) who has a good grasp of the english language and can articulate. haha.

Jozoo

Currently experiencing this in my car. This winter in SoCal seems much colder than last year if memory serves right. After a good half hour of constant shifting at 2.5/3k rpm, first gear seems rough. It's though I'm not letting off the clutch properly and instead feel what Sonicmn described. Accelerating from idle feels off but everything else seems fine. Ive noticed that clutching into 1st feels smoother if I get in around 2.7k rpm

Edit: wanted to add that it's stock and at 50k mi; only other issue I have atm is a strange noise when I acc/decelerate in 1st and 2nd gear.