Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wants to die when starting it up in the cold or on a full tank after i stop at the lights or just when it sits and idles

Fwingul

I first had issues with filling it up full with fuel and then i stop at the lights like 20secs after and it trys to die revs down to like 400-500 rpm then fights to get back up.
I sometimes get it when i start the car in the morning nit everytime but half the time it will try to die then stays alive and also when it idles for a while also it has jumped into that dieing state then come back and then back to the dieing state until i drive it or shut it off. I have changed the coolant reservoir a while back not sure if that has anything associated with it and i have put a new fuel pump in but i still keep getting the samething.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I first had issues with filling it up full with fuel and then i stop at the lights like 20secs after and it trys to die revs down to like 400-500 rpm then fights to get back up.
I sometimes get it when i start the car in the morning nit everytime but half the time it will try to die then stays alive and also when it idles for a while also it has jumped into that dieing state then come back and then back to the dieing state until i drive it or shut it off. I have changed the coolant reservoir a while back not sure if that has anything associated with it and i have put a new fuel pump in but i still keep getting the samething.
What year is it? Are there any codes? Mileage?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Just a free solution to try, my car was doing this after fillups and I read leaving the nozzle in longer after its done filling up helps this. When it shuts off, I just do a good ten count before removing it, and I have not had the stalling/idling issue yet (was happening after every fillup, now its been 6-7 fillups and no issues).

Just a free solution to try, my car was doing this after fillups and I read leaving the nozzle in longer after its done filling up helps this. When it shuts off, I just do a good ten count before removing it, and I have not had the stalling/idling issue yet (was happening after every fillup, now its been 6-7 fillups and no issues).
This.
Also a good time to tell the car how wonderful it is, and how glad I am to have it.

Im going to remind myself to try this next time. Ive countered this issue by filling up before I head home so the car sits through the night.
Its weird, because my car only does this on 91 tune/stock. sitting at a light right after fill-up.
But when i switch to E30, its completely fine.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Im going to remind myself to try this next time. Ive countered this issue by filling up before I head home so the car sits through the night.
Its weird, because my car only does this on 91 tune/stock. sitting at a light right after fill-up.
But when i switch to E30, its completely fine.
If I remember correctly there's a little logo near the gas filler neck that says 5s, as in wait 5 seconds before taking the nozzle out, that might help you remember. This is what the owner's manual says-

4. After you are done pumping fuel, slowly
remove the fuel filler nozzleā€”allow
about five to ten seconds after
pumping fuel before removing the fuel
filler nozzle.

Last edited:

Sam4

Its obvious that I am no mechanic, it's a fact - no multimeter. However, I spent 10 years owning and operating a parts store, and another 10 as a Regional rep for aftermarket parts. What I can do is use past experience to posit a current solution. My butt dyno tells me this is a vacuum related issue, and all the dance steps with the nozzle will have little effect.

Sam4

20220115_100142.jpg
This beats a pic of 1552 / fancy schmancy rims any day....LOL! As per previous, I bought the valve from Rock, but it will/would be a project to retrofit. This spiderweb has to come from Ford - about $150 shipped.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its obvious that I am no mechanic, it's a fact - no multimeter. However, I spent 10 years owning and operating a parts store, and another 10 as a Regional rep for aftermarket parts. What I can do is use past experience to posit a current solution. My butt dyno tells me this is a vacuum related issue, and all the dance steps with the nozzle will have little effect.
I have this elaborate process when I fill up:
1. Put the nozzle in and wait 5seconds before turning on the pump
2. Wait 30 seconds after the pump clicks off before removing the nozzle.
3. Go drive on the highway or somewhere on 6th gear for a couple minutes.
While the waiting game with the pump doesn't cure the problem, I feel like it makes the car less likely to stall.
PS I have replaced the purge valve and it didn't fix it.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
View attachment 46098
This beats a pic of 1552 / fancy schmancy rims any day....LOL! As per previous, I bought the valve from Rock, but it will/would be a project to retrofit. This spiderweb has to come from Ford - about $150 shipped.
Link?
Yes, I'm lazy:ROFLMAO:

Edit: I stopped being lazy temporarily and found this
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs
Is this the right part to fix the purge valve issue?

Last edited: