Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

*WARNING WARNING To all FiST owners

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Every single one of you needs to check the hatch/liftgate for Paint peeling in between the cracks where the handle meets the liftgate. This is starting to become more of a problem as of late as I'm noticing...myself included with the issue. My FiSt is a 15' with 37k on it with the problem. Pictures will be coming in a couple hours to show you what to look for. EVERYONE INSPECT YOUR LIFTGATE/HATCH TODAY even if your under 3yr/36months.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine looks okay. Curious to see what you have.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
I think this has been a known issue for some time. There's other threads about it.
Sending the alert out for everyone....I've talked about it in the past...still fighting the dealer to let those who are under 3yr.36 to keep a Hawkeye out on their paint!

There has been another thread regarding this very same issue, and the paint quality in general.

The OP of that older thread did have the paint chips of his/her FiST repaired under warranty, BUT the paint chips ended up coming back again in the same problem area.

My take is to have the paint work done towards the end of the warranty period.

*Shrug*

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
There has been another thread regarding this very same issue, and the paint quality in general.

The OP of that older thread did have the paint chips of his/her FiST repaired under warranty, BUT the paint chips ended up coming back again in the same problem area.

My take is to have the paint work done towards the end of the warranty period.

*Shrug*
The key is to utilize 3m bra shield in the crack!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Looks like abrasion damage.

I happened to notice that wiring up the sub install yesterday except, it was merely "over-spray" from the silicon lubricant that I used on the rubber seals this past Winter. It was on the plastic tail light as well. The wind was busy spreading it around and concentrating it in that area. I could rub it away with my finger. Curious but it was only on that passenger side.

More so on windy days, the lift gate / hatch likely experiences some amazing stresses at high ways speeds; created by the turbulent negative pressures trying to prevent a vacuum from foruming just behind the vehicle.

If you do have damage there, it may be a result of those forces sucking at the gate in such a way as to cause contact there. If that's the case, I'd wonder it's coincidence that this is the same side the cutout for the exhaust is on.

One way to confirm whether contact is being made, is to rub one color clay along the edge of the lift gate, and maybe another color clay along the opposite surface of the lift gate area. If you can go for a windy highway drive and see "clay transfer" (similar to the phrase "paint transfer") then we'll have to consider ways of compensating for the issue.

DangerMouse

Had my hatch painted under warranty. They also reinforced the rear trim so hopefully it doesn't vibrate and cause the same thing to happen again. I asked the guy what they did and unfortunately he didn't know and the guy that did the work was busy. It doesn't move at all now where before I could get it wiggle just a smidge.

I haven't checked on it in awhile, but I will now tomorrow if I can remember. Luckily I noticed mine pretty early so they didn't fight me on it, not that they should when it's under warranty and well documented.

2015 - Under my hood at the seam weld all around the paint bubbling and soft. Can only assume it is rusted already at the weld underneath. Getting to be about time to mosey from this little dancer. 25K miles and sheā€™s showing her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This is what is beneath the front headlamp.
(I cleaned-up the area before taking the photo.)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMgaQU-vZDdLWI65-pGg
Water and road salt get beneath the headlamp, and sit.
So there is already a fair amount of rust underneath and next to that white plastic headlamp clamp-down piece.
(when that plastic piece breaks, more can be ordered here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZM5BPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I greased it down with a heavy bearing grease, to help reduce corrosion.
That's not the worst part though. See the wire harness behind it? Imagine having salt-water sitting in each of those holes.
Bearing grease would probably break down the seals and plastics. Silicon is safe to use but won't really stick around.
The only thing I did there was shield the front/top part of it using a rubber glove. Covering it in a way that will trap humidity, water, will do more harm than good.
Slathering a ton of dielectric grease should help.

I noticed this the other day when I detailed mine. Almost 1,000 miles and it's there. I really don't want to take it in to the dealer though after they tried hoodwinking me on the extended warranty. Can you take your car to any Ford dealer?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
I noticed this the other day when I detailed mine. Almost 1,000 miles and it's there. I really don't want to take it in to the dealer though after they tried hoodwinking me on the extended warranty. Can you take your car to any Ford dealer?
Yes...you can go to any FORD servicing dealer. Get it done before it's too late and you have to fight them like me.

Clay bar'd and waxed the car this past weekend and noticed some chips on the driver side. 2016 with a little over 18k miles. Just going to add it to the list of stuff needing to be taken care of. A-pillar rattle, rear hatch intermittently unlatches, rattle behind the gauge cluster, and then every once in awhile the front chatters making a tight parking lot turn.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #18
This is what is beneath the front headlamp.
(I cleaned-up the area before taking the photo.)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMgaQU-vZDdLWI65-pGg
Water and road salt get beneath the headlamp, and sit.
So there is already a fair amount of rust underneath and next to that white plastic headlamp clamp-down piece.
(when that plastic piece breaks, more can be ordered here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZM5BPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I greased it down with a heavy bearing grease, to help reduce corrosion.
That's not the worst part though. See the wire harness behind it? Imagine having salt-water sitting in each of those holes.
Bearing grease would probably break down the seals and plastics. Silicon is safe to use but won't really stick around.
The only thing I did there was shield the front/top part of it using a rubber glove. Covering it in a way that will trap humidity, water, will do more harm than good.
Slathering a ton of dielectric grease should help.
You could utilize WD-40 OR Fluid Film...Both are good rust inhibitors. check them out...its crazy how many uses there are for WD-40! [rockon]