Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Water Leak - fixed

Being in the PNW, I fairly quickly noticed that I had a water leak on my new to me 2014 FiST, 100k miles, no moonroof. Its an extra fun car I use (will use) for Autocross.

I looked around here and saw that lots of people had similar issues. I pulled the hatch area apart, and could see water trails rolling into the spare tire area from the corners.

I originally thought it was the vent panels letting water into the car from the tire spray, but after getting the car dried out and sitting overnight in the rain, there was still water in the spare tire area.

So I pulled the tail lights out and found several places where it could leak. Around the brake wire hole and the big hole with a piece of cloth tape over it! After 6 years the tape was mostly falling off.

I cleaned everything, RTV'ed the wire hole, and made a new block off plate out of lexan, and RTVed that all up. I was happy with my solution and figured the problem was solved.

Until the next rain, 1/2-1 cup of water in about 2 hours. Taking the tail lights off again, I saw that the screw holes for holding the taillight housings were the culprit. I could put my hand directly under these holes inside the car, and feel it dripping. I never would believe that that tiny of a hole would let that much water in, but I had an old Suburban with a similar issue. When the windshield was replaced, they removed the cowl trim, and didn't seal up the trim screw that held it in. After that the fan box would fill with water and soak the passenger floor. I tore that rig apart trying to find the source of the leak, refusing to believe that tiny little screw would let in that much water. But as soon as I put a little RTV on the trim screws before re-installing, problem solved.

Back to the Fiesta. I re-installed the tail lights, putting RTV on the screw holes, then I RTV'ed around the top of the tail light to keep water from getting behind the lights in general. I will look for a cleaner solution, maybe foil tape, as a future cleaner fix.

Attachments

Any update? Did you get the leaking stopped? I am also getting a pool under the spare. Going to try trouble shooting ovr the next few days.

xxiaze

Yes!!! I was sooo confused when I stripped my rear and found water in the tire tub repeatedly after rain. I actually haven’t quite looked into this yet, I’m curious if this was resolved per your instruction. Nice find if so, and I really appreciate this.

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #4
Yes!!! I was sooo confused when I stripped my rear and found water in the tire tub repeatedly after rain. I actually haven’t quite looked into this yet, I’m curious if this was resolved per your instruction. Nice find if so, and I really appreciate this.
Hey Sorry for the slow response, we haven't been working in the office, where I do the majority of my forum reading.

We have had a TON of rain lately, I double checked and everything is dry as a bone. So I am continuing to mark this down as FIXED.

To be clear, my leak was with the car sitting in the rain, not leaking when driving. A quick test you can do, remove the tail lights (let hang to the side), then with the hatch open, run a hose onto the top of the hatch area, so the water will naturally flow around the sides through the tail light area. You will fairly quickly see the path of the water and see where it could possibly be getting into the car.

I just wanted to post a big thank you for this info and photos. I have aftermarket taillights but never considered that the swimming pool in the cargo area of my FiST could have been caused by them. After reading this thread, I removed the tails. I could clearly see where water had washed away the pollen behind the lights leaving nice trails leading to the rubber grommets that allow the wiring to pass inside the car. These plugs/grommets/whatever you call them seem to be slightly undersized. I bought some Permatex rubber sealant and went around them. I also used the sealant to "glue down" the little squares of tape near the opening. I let the car sit over night then parked it out on the street in the morning. It has been raining all day and not a drop of water on the inside of the car. Thanks again.

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #6
I just wanted to post a big thank you for this info and photos. I have aftermarket taillights but never considered that the swimming pool in the cargo area of my FiST could have been caused by them. After reading this thread, I removed the tails. I could clearly see where water had washed away the pollen behind the lights leaving nice trails leading to the rubber grommets that allow the wiring to pass inside the car. These plugs/grommets/whatever you call them seem to be slightly undersized. I bought some Permatex rubber sealant and went around them. I also used the sealant to "glue down" the little squares of tape near the opening. I let the car sit over night then parked it out on the street in the morning. It has been raining all day and not a drop of water on the inside of the car. Thanks again.
Great! Good to hear that this is helping someone else also.
Don't under-estimate the screw holes being able to let in water, its obviously not as big of a hole as the grommet/tape hole, but it can let in a significant amount of water. A dab of Permatex before re-installing the tail light to act as thread sealer should do the trick.

OP
Rexracer
Thread Starter #7
UPDATE - I thought my problem was solved, but in a heavy rain this spring I started to see water in the spare tire area again. Very frustrating.
I happen to pull the rear bumper cover off, and found 2 more holes PER SIDE (4 total) that were sealed with the same fabric tape, and was coming loose. I sealed those up in a similar way (Lexan patch piece, sealed in with sealant). I just happen to have some 3m window seal/glue, wow good stuff, expensive, but water makes it cure, and its so thick, nothing is getting in there now.

Attachments

I tackled this about 2 years ago, and nothing from teh taillights down fixed it... I applied sealer at the body seams where they meet the top of the roof and weather strip and the leaks went away for a while... now they're back. I'm fairly certain these cars have crappy seam sealer done, and if you hoon the car a lot, autox or track day... it makes those open up quite a bit.

CaZ UniQ

Hey Peeps,

I have a similar issue, however my water leak is coming from under both front footwells

Car was standing in the rain, and found it dropping from above the footwell.

Any ideas?

2017 ST200