Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weathertech vs Husky Liners for our 2016 ST's

I have heard some say that the previous versions of the weathertech floor liners were suited for the regular fiesta (automatic) and so the clutch will push against it leaving a mark on the mats and at times stick. Has anyone bought either the HUSKY or WeatherTech Floor liners and if so, what has been your experience? Trying to get some pros and cons to choose which one to purchase! Also, if you've purchased the cargo mat mention your thoughts on that too.

Thanks

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I have the weather techs and have no issues with the clutch touching the mats.

I have the Husky liners and I can confirm the clutch will hit the liner. Now this didn't cause any sort of issue as far as functionality, but it squeaked when I would depress the clutch all the way. I left it that way for about 2 or 3 weeks then I cut about a 2"x2" square in the husky liner (easily done with a box razor) where the clutch would hit it to remove the squeak. Worked like a charm. No regrets on the mats whatsoever.

I bought the Huskies because I don't think the weathertech's even go up to the pedals which was a problem for me.

How about neither?

Search U-Ace 3d Maxpider Floor Mats.

Have had these for a while now. They are cheaper, look much better, almost OEM, and are just as effective as WeatherTechs. They are big with the Focus ST crowd, surprised I haven't heard much about them here.

I can get pictures of mine if you so wish.

I have the Husky Liner too and have not noticed any interference with the clutch...none.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Husky here as well. I had the OEM ST mats and they are great for summer but with winter and salt I wanted more protection. The Husky liners are the only ones that extend all the way behind the pedals protecting everything. I do not have any interference and was able to adhere the nopiston deadpedal to the matt. If not for the snow/salt I would have stayed with the OEM ones.

I have the Weathertech ones from the dealer. They do interfere with the clutch pedal when you first get them. After a while, the clutch pedal created an indent in the mat and they no longer interfere.

Siestarider

My recommendation is with Thirty Two, my 3D Maxspiders have near three years of hard use, are lighter than any other option, and hold water and dirt just as well. Fitted and grip carpet like vercro, so I do not have to remove them for tracking. I have worn a spot in the patterned surface where clutch pedal hits, just put a small piece of black duct tape over it and good to go.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #10
Great info, thanks everyone. I ended up going with the weathertechs for the cabin as well as the cargo mat as I like to keep brand and logo consistency, it's a designer/compulsive thing! I'll update on any clutch interference if I do come across it as well as what I think of the cargo mat. Thanks again for your replies.

Great info, thanks everyone. I ended up going with the weathertechs for the cabin as well as the cargo mat as I like to keep brand and logo consistency, it's a designer/compulsive thing! I'll update on any clutch interference if I do come across it as well as what I think of the cargo mat. Thanks again for your replies.
Yes please do! Considering the cargo mat next.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #13
Yes please do! Considering the cargo mat next.
UPDATE:

Alright, received the weathertechs and used them for one day. They are amazing and I am happy with them for sure, they look nice and do their job. Issue: in my case the clutch does scrape the mat towards the top, it can be seen in the image. Here is the thing though, it seems that the only reason the clutch is scraping is because the mat is still new and has not entirely settled down yet. The mat is a little warped since it's so new and when I push it down with my hand (like 2 or 3 mm only!) and then push the clutch in with my hand while continuing to hold the mat down, it seems to then press all the way and stop without scraping the mat. So technically speaking, if I were to somehow make the driver side weathertech mat stay down properly using some kind of velcro or adhesive in the carpet underneath, then it would essentially not scrape. Since doing some custom velcroing for me is a bit of a headache as I am extremely limited with my time, I will probably just let it scrape until it's broken in having both settled and scraped its path in, I decided the mats are made to be tough and I will let them do their job.

As for the cargo mat, similar issue with the settling into place but in this case it is only a temporary aesthetic nuisance. Since the mat has not settled yet, it does stick out on the front side edge a little bit. Since I am a designer, I notice these things in quite a compulsive manner and perhaps I ought-to get over it but what can I say, when I do something, I like to do it right! In the images below I am showing the mat as-is on its own beside another image of me holding down the mat where you can see it is indeed a perfect fit* (after its broken in... so eventually).* The mat does have a 1-1/2" continuous border that goes around the entire mat in case something spills or makes a mess. It is quite thin and light, not weighing the car down while simultaneously thick enough to provide the appropriate protection. Overall, the mat is awesome, although a bit pricey at $90, I know it will be absolutely worth it in the long run. I suppose I can adhesive-down the edges in order for them to be perfectly flush with the edge plastic trims of the car but I will not do that and instead let the mat slowly settle into place on its own.

BASICALLY the issues are in reality absolutely minor, the weathertechs are a clearly a great investment and will undoubtedly protect our fiSTs from wear and tear in some of the most used locations in the cabin!

SUMMED UP, beside the meticulous nuisances that I cannot help but fixate on, the mats are as good as it gets, the quality and credo of the company is one I can be happy to stand beside and Most importantly, it will protect my fiST from nasty spills, dirt, gum, and whatever other crap might get into the carpet of the car. One important note here is to make sure you remove the stock existing (removable) carpet mats, especially in the front row. You can leave the rear if you choose to without much interference to the fit but the front carpet mats must absolutely be removed for the weathertechs to fit properly. Hope this all helps. if you read all the way up to here you clearly want these things badly enough, just give-in already!! ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #14
Also, I ordered the BOOSTED ST badged dead pedal with rubber grips and will be adhesive-applying it to the weathertech mat. I will update with that as well, perhaps with some process pics..

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Also, I ordered the BOOSTED ST badged dead pedal with rubber grips and will be adhesive-applying it to the weathertech mat. I will update with that as well, perhaps with some process pics..

I suggest using a bit of acetone or nail polish remover on the mat area where you want the adhesive to stick. Helped me greatly as the oily film from the manufacturing of the mat prevented adhesion.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #16
I suggest using a bit of acetone or nail polish remover on the mat area where you want the adhesive to stick. Helped me greatly as the oily film from the manufacturing of the mat prevented adhesion.
Thanks for the tip.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #17
Would you be able to post a pic of your dead pedal over the weathertech? Mine doesnt seem to fit as the dead pedal bottom left corner tapers out and the weathertech doesnt seem to do the same so that corner of the pedal hits the mat, leaving the right side edge coming off the mat? Does yours also do this?

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #18
Alright, I figured it all out. For the driver side weathertech, I used one simple small strip of the male Velcro onto the underside of the mat, all the way on the top edge. The Velcro holds easily to the cars carpet and keeps the weathertech down and sturdy so the clutch does not rub against it.

As for the ST boosted dead pedal, I cleaned the surface with some acetone and applied industrial strength Velcro, it's not really Velcro but the plastic equivalent, it's much stronger. Since I ordered the pedal with rubber inserts, there was a bit of a gab so I doubled up on the Velcro to fill the gap, sort of like a washer, and applied the pedal directly onto the weathertech. It does stick out to the right a little but is unnoticeable and does not cause any issues with functionality or feel. I also added some Velcro pieces to the cargo mat and the edges are now perfectly flush and consistent. All worked out and looks great now. I've provided some images of the process and final look. Hope this helps..

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Would you be able to post a pic of your dead pedal over the weathertech? Mine doesnt seem to fit as the dead pedal bottom left corner tapers out and the weathertech doesnt seem to do the same so that corner of the pedal hits the mat, leaving the right side edge coming off the mat? Does yours also do this?
Sorry for the delay here is my picture. I have the Husky liner and the no-piston dead pedal which may be a little narrower.

IMG-20160613-00799.jpg

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
A little necro action, here. I got the Husky liners. They really cover the floor nicely. Nothing touches anything, and they don't move around at all. I use the plastic for a dead pedal.

1589045051438.png
1589045074970.png

Last edited: