Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weighted shift knob.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I had the stock shifter knob, the shifter did not feel to bad, I've seen worse. I bought a red leather knob off Esty, the new one is unweighted. I love it, shifting feels so much lighter, I found myself over shifting with the weighted one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know that most in the whole import/sport compact scene just LOVE the over-heavy, highly weighted shift knobs.

But I feel that they cause much undo stress on the whole shift cable/shifter pivot points/mechanism, etc., especially bouncing around while driving on bombed-out roads, both paved and unpaved.

Maybe this is not a factor with our IB6es/cable shifters, and there is no problem at all. [dunno]

But then I came from a directly into the inline/RWD gearbox shift rail type shifter in the T56 in my Z28, and that setup would definitely have been harmed (rail play, shifter fork damage, etc.) by these 3 lb. shift knobs that some use, and love so much on horrid road condition caused vibrations/movement.

Last edited:
I know that most in the whole import/sport compact scene just LOVE the over-heavy, highly weighted shift knobs.

But I feel that they cause much undo stress on the whole shift cable/shifter pivot points/mechanism, etc., especially bouncing around while driving on bombed-out roads, both paved and unpaved.

Maybe this is not a factor with our IB6es/cable shifters, and there is no problem at all. [dunno]

But then I came from a directly into the inline/RWD gearbox shift rail type shifter in the T56 in my Z28, and that setup would definitely have been harmed (rail play, shifter fork damage, etc.) by these 3 lb. shifters that some use, and love so much on horrid road condition caused vibrations/movement.
You're absolutely right. Even on cable driven transmission it can lead to problem.

Last edited: