Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weird transmission sounds, finally caught on film

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Headed to the beach this morning, the trans noises I've had since new were noticeably louder than usual. I was able to grab them on video, though they're kinda hard to hear with the other noise the camera mic was trying to filter.

The sounds are louder IRL than in the video, but being a small-element mic it has a hard time differentiating sounds.
To hear the offending sounds will probably require headphones and significant volume. I made sure to edit out any "loud" or standout sounds, so there are no impending jump-scares.
Sound 1: clacking after shifts. It's never been this loud, and only seems to be getting louder.
Sound 2: rythmic grinding when rolling to a stop. Happens in gear or out of gear, clutch in or clutch out. Sound is dependent on wheel speed, not speed of the engine (rpm). If I leave the car in gear until I am almost stopped so there's "tension" in the driveline, the sound is either very quiet or inaudible.

Clacking sound when shifting:
:14 seconds (easy to hear).
:18 seconds (harder to hear).
:22 seconds (really hard to hear).

Rythmic grinding when rolling to a stop (need headphones/volume to hear)
:32 seconds to :35 seconds.

Remedial steps taken to date:
- I have taken the car in for a grinding sound when rolling to a stop (like in the video), both front axles replaced. 24 hours later, axle seals replaced again after leaking a quart of trans fluid on my driveway overnight.
- I have taken the car in for what feels like "sloppy" engagement and excessive noise - no trouble found.
- I have replaced the RMM thinking the noise might be related. The noise is louder with the RMM, but its there either way.
- I replaced the pads as they were getting low anyways, and it was suggested the sound might be worn pads.
- I ave taken the car back in for continued grinding when rolling to a stop. I was told it's "normal", bit it sounds like metal on metal somewhere and its a not-good sound.

Additional details:
- Getting pretty shitty mileage (~20mpg around town, CA 91 summer poop gas though).
- Started getting a clunking on the drivers' side rear when going over bumps (I think it's those rubber thingies at the top of the shock, have not taken in for this yet).
- Can feel both sounds through the clutch pedal.
- Both sounds get louder when the car is hot.
- 20k miles on the car. Oil changed 400 miles ago.
- New brakepads, maybe 4k miles?

Se7eN

Have you attempted to change the trans fluid? or atleast drain it and refill to make sure you have the right amount?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Have you attempted to change the trans fluid? or atleast drain it and refill to make sure you have the right amount?
Good question - I have not, since my past experience (other brand) is that touching anything to do with a potential problem led the dealership to blame me. The invoice for my axle replacement listed refilling, as did the one for the “installed the wrong axle seals” invoice that occurred 24 hours later when my trans barfed a quart of oil on my driveway through the new “wrong” seals. The oil that came out of the axle seals would be trans fluid, right? They did an “inspection” and said all fluids were either full or topped off, so I haven’t touched the fluid myself to make sure it stayed “their problem”.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Listened to the vid on headphones.
As for the clacking, I do hear what your talking about, but don't think it's out of the ordinary. I have a clack type noise, been there since I bought it at 2,500 mi. mostly coming off 1st into 2nd and a little off 2nd into 3rd. Seems normal to me. I have had other manual trans cars that sounded similar.

The grind when slowing down I couldn't hear anything.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Listened to the vid on headphones.
As for the clacking, I do hear what your talking about, but don't think it's out of the ordinary. I have a clack type noise, been there since I bought it at 2,500 mi. mostly coming off 1st into 2nd and a little off 2nd into 3rd. Seems normal to me. I have had other manual trans cars that sounded similar.

The grind when slowing down I couldn't hear anything.
Thanks - I wasn’t sure about the clacking, knowing more about the DMF now, but it’s been getting steadily louder and more pronounced.

The noise on decel is really hard to hear on video unfortunately. To me it sounds like a failing CV joint, but that’s part of the axles they replaced, isn’t it? After new axles noise got a lot quieter but it’s coming back now. It’s like a rythmic grinding, looking at the diameter of the axle and the diameter of the wheel, and measuring, it seems like one grinding sound for every full wheel rotation.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Since there’s a TSB for axles that was expanded to include 2017’s, I wonder if maybe I got the older junky axles and that’s why the sound is creeping back.

Se7eN

Good question - I have not, since my past experience (other brand) is that touching anything to do with a potential problem led the dealership to blame me. The invoice for my axle replacement listed refilling, as did the one for the “installed the wrong axle seals” invoice that occurred 24 hours later when my trans barfed a quart of oil on my driveway through the new “wrong” seals. The oil that came out of the axle seals would be trans fluid, right? They did an “inspection” and said all fluids were either full or topped off, so I haven’t touched the fluid myself to make sure it stayed “their problem”.
yes it would be trans fluid

I hate hearing about this. I have had the “cluck” since purchase, starting around 500 miles on my 2017. The dealer replaced the axles under warranty, but it did not fix the problem. The dealer had the car for two days before they decided to replace the axles. It’s the only clue they had from online data about how to eliminate the clunk. It seems the clunk is louder when the car is warmed up or running hot. After installing a bigger radiator and lower thermostat the clunk seems quieter and less noticeable. Turning up the radio up or rolling the windows down helps. ;) I also run Motul DCTF and love it. I tried the Motul 300 stuff and it did not work and made shifting difficult. I don’t recommend Motul 300 as a fix for this issue. My next step is to completely rebuild the transmission looking for the root cause and install a LSD and 4.3:1 final drive while I’m in there. I hope someone can find this gremlin someday.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think just about everyone gets the Clack at least once in their ownership of the FiST. I Think it comes just from being with such a little fast whore of the Hot hatch world.[drummer]

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I don’t mind the clack as much, it’s the metal on metal sound rolling to a stop that really concerns me.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I have some clack. It could just be the gears in the diff clicking. My milage has sucked all year this year. Imo dual mass flywheels are dumb. Im gonna replace with a single mass when it comes time for a clutch.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I think just about everyone gets the Clack at least once in their ownership of the FiST. I Think it comes just from being with such a little fast whore of the Hot hatch world.[drummer]
I hate hearing about this. I have had the “cluck” since purchase, starting around 500 miles on my 2017. The dealer replaced the axles under warranty, but it did not fix the problem. The dealer had the car for two days before they decided to replace the axles. It’s the only clue they had from online data about how to eliminate the clunk.
I have some clack. It could just be the gears in the diff clicking. My mileage has sucked all year this year. Imo dual mass flywheels are dumb. I'm gonna replace with a single mass when it comes time for a clutch.
Seems like most people have the noise; and the people that say they don't, probably do, but don't notice it. Whether it's the DMF or the axles or just ordinary gear to gear noises, I think it's normal for the FiST and nothing to worry about.
I am one of those types that hear every teeny tiny noise and worry; first, just a little, then over time I obsess over it.o_O
Wasted energy, IMO.
Best to enjoy the car, and not let these negative thoughts eat at you. That's what I have been doing, and it's freeing.

That grinding actually sounds like the same clacking as in the beginning to me, I blame DMF. Mine is manifesting as rattle if you rev slightly on idle after the car has been driven for a while, it definitely got more rattly after last few years (and I also have the clacks when engaging). Can't wait to see how it looks like when they crack it open to change clutch / install LSD

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
That grinding actually sounds like the same clacking as in the beginning to me, I blame DMF. Mine is manifesting as rattle if you rev slightly on idle after the car has been driven for a while, it definitely got more rattly after last few years (and I also have the clacks when engaging). Can't wait to see how it looks like when they crack it open to change clutch / install LSD
Oof with just 20k on the clock. I want it to get worse while still under warranty :|

Mine started being audible around 20k miles too, currently at 50k. The car driving dynamics are not affected so far, just annoying to listen to...

Honestly, I would be ok with regular weight single mass flywheel, but the ones I see available are all lightweight ones...

I switched the trans fluid over to ravenol 75w-80 at 20k after I was getting lots of drivetrain noise and heavy whining. It took all of that away. My fluid was shot at 20k. Do it. It's easy and it may prevent further damage

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I switched the trans fluid over to ravenol 75w-80 at 20k after I was getting lots of drivetrain noise and heavy whining. It took all of that away. My fluid was shot at 20k. Do it. It's easy and it may prevent further damage
How many miles do you have now and how long ago did you swap it out? Thanks

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
How many miles do you have now and how long ago did you swap it out? Thanks

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock
Mine personally has been making the noise since ~6k miles, got new axles + new fluid at like 15k which quieted (but did not cure) the noise, the next day it got new axle seals and new fluid again, now I'm at 20.4k miles and the noise is pretty loud, but the ford fluid is only 5k miles old.

I'd swap the fluid, but I am somewhat concerned that I'll wind up masking a problem that will rear it's head after the warranty is up.