Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wet grip of OEM summer-only tires?

I figured it was a good chance that my OEM tires would never see a drop of rain here in California before they wore out. However, I drove home through some slight drizzle that left the road very slightly damp. My commute is through a two-lane twisty canyon road. As usual, I got stuck behind a slow truck, and passed in the oncoming traffic lane when I had an opening. Of course, this meant doing so with some authority - i went from about 45 in fifth gear, downshifting to fourth and punching it as I moved out. The road was only damp in spots, no standing water at all, but I felt the "torque vectoring" kick in, with one of the front wheels losing traction. I've done this in the dry with no wheel slip.

Question - how do the OEM Bridgestone summer tires grip in the wet? Probably won't see much of it, but don't want any surprises.

By the way, Californians, you're welcome. I just detailed my car, and it rained next day. Maybe if I keep it up I can end the drought.

The road is always slickest when it first starts to rain. Oils and what not are brought to the surface. This car has enough torque to do what you said in the wet though.

Oh...and if its really wet expect lots of wheel hop. Haven't tried to push it in a corner while wet out.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys. The wife's Taurus on Michelins doesn't have this problem... :)

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #6
...with the same horsepower. It feels like driving a car through syrup compared to the ST.

Yes, the tires can break loose under power when it's wet outside. But we've done a wet canyon-carving trip, and as long as you're smooth with your inputs, the tires have great lateral and braking grip. You can carry a pretty silly amount of speed in the wet if you want to, just be smart about it.

Yes, the tires can break loose under power when it's wet outside. But we've done a wet canyon-carving trip, and as long as you're smooth with your inputs, the tires have great lateral and braking grip. You can carry a pretty silly amount of speed in the wet if you want to, just be smart about it.
Right, just as in the snow, a fwd car with this torque will spin/understeer with sudden throttle and braking application in the rain. Just been steady with your feet and hands and the car should follow.