Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What do you do with "extra" tires?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I recently got non-repairable punctures on two tires on the same side of my car. Luckily I had a string plug kit and was able to plug and fill and get home, but I needed 2 new tires. The tires are indy 500's with maybe 12k mies on them, probably 6-8k left to go. I don't like mismatching tires, so I swapped all 4 to new indy 500's this morning, but I *hate* to see perfectly good tires to go waste. I let the shop keep them and one of the guys was going to toss them on his car (pretty open about it) which I prefer to knowing they get shredded, but still - am I weird for not wanting to run 2 new and 2 old tires? Am I overthinking this? I think if I took them home it would just be more car stuff cluttering the garage, but man... throwing away 6-8k of tire... :p

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
2 new and 2 old tires, I don't think so. I'd buy all 4 new almost always unless I just got them changed and then got a hole. Then I'd replace just one but my limits probably having them longer than 3 months. After that if I get a hole all of them have to go.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

With that much life, I probably would just get 2 new ones and rotate as needed. After all 4 got close to the end of life I’d replace all 4.
Yeah this is the correct answer. Unless the car is AWD and extra sensative to tire diameter it doesn't matter. Shoot even Nascar will take on 2 tires in a pit stop. Are you saying your driving is more rigorous then a Nascar? ;-)

PunkST

2000 Post Club
2 at a time. Take the ones with punctures and do burnouts till they go. Lol.

Currently I have 1 set neatly stacked in my garage. Then I have a stack of the original 17's with perhaps 200 miles on them in my basement. One day soon I'll trade the 16's on the car for the 15 inch winter wheels with Blizzaks. BTW, hoping to get 4 years service out of the Blizzaks so they don't go on the car until winters are truly essential.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I think it really comes down to preference and money. Nothing wrong with 4 new tires, also nothing wrong with just replacing 2 if that's really all that's necessary.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I recently got non-repairable punctures on two tires on the same side of my car. Luckily I had a string plug kit and was able to plug and fill and get home, but I needed 2 new tires. The tires are indy 500's with maybe 12k mies on them, probably 6-8k left to go. I don't like mismatching tires, so I swapped all 4 to new indy 500's this morning, but I *hate* to see perfectly good tires to go waste. I let the shop keep them and one of the guys was going to toss them on his car (pretty open about it) which I prefer to knowing they get shredded, but still - am I weird for not wanting to run 2 new and 2 old tires? Am I overthinking this? I think if I took them home it would just be more car stuff cluttering the garage, but man... throwing away 6-8k of tire... :p
No road hazard coverage? I just go with a pair and keep on going. In Michigan, the odds are good that I will destroy another one soon. The roads are so f#*#&d here that I doubt that I am ever going to actually "wear out" a set of tires.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Honestly, I've never thought about replacing a tire after using one of those string patch kits, I treat them as permanent repairs. I guess I should look into that more.
the puncture was on the shoulder of the tire so I couldn't really "trust" it - on the flat, for sure.

I think I'll just stick to what I do and swap all 4, the cost of 4 tires isn't really significant I just hate tossing out usable stuff. If it happens again and nobody at the shop wants them I may just grab them and see if a forum member wants 'em for pick up.

And I usually do road hazard coverage on my other cars, but this was my first time at firestone and after waiting 4 hours to have tires installed I figured it would be more worth my time to just go somewhere else and pay more to have them order the indy 500's. I'd rather buy new tires than spend 4 hours of my day waiting. Also with road hazard coverage, they only replace the tire with a problem, and with my annoyance at having mismatched tires it would eat at me :p

@Clint Beastwood clearly had eff-you money, so his solution is different than the general masses. 🤣
I agree with you in that a lot of us have to be economical -- I recently got forced into a curb in a parking lot and damaged a side wall on a front tire, and now have two different generations of the same tire front and back as I couldn't afford to replace all four. On the other hand, this post was way out of order.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Brian's post was purely joking; not meant to be offensive at all. To me it came off "sounding" like more of an envious compliment.

But yeah, I'd put the new set of two on the front.
PERFECT EXCUSE to be extra-abusive to the set on the front just so that they'd eventually even out with the rear LoL.

Besides, who's to say the next set of four won't get nail or screw that's "too close" to the sidewall?

I've NEVER had a tread punctured in an area that a tire shop considered "repairable".
(so I just plugged'em all myself - now I don't even bother asking them to plug'em)
https://www.feoa.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-today.71738/page-60#post-1095126
https://www.feoa.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-today.71738/page-60#post-1095158

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I agree with you in that a lot of us have to be economical -- I recently got forced into a curb in a parking lot and damaged a side wall on a front tire, and now have two different generations of the same tire front and back as I couldn't afford to replace all four. On the other hand, this post was way out of order.
I think tone is tough on the internet, it’s why I use an obnoxious amount of smilies in my posts, otherwise they read as kinda coarse at times :)

I wouldn’t mind having two generations of tires if one wasn’t so close to end of life. I could probably even ‘em out if I put some McDonald’s trays under the tears and drove around with the ebrake on. That’s about the closest to driving the fist on ice that I’ll get! Seriously if you’ve never tried trays under the rear wheels it’s a hoot.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Brian's post was purely joking; not meant to be offensive at all. To me it came off "sounding" like more of an envious compliment.

But yeah, I'd put the new set of two on the front.
PERFECT EXCUSE to be extra-abusive to the set on the front just so that they'd eventually even out with the rear LoL.

Besides, who's to say the next set of four won't get nail or screw that's "too close" to the sidewall?

I've NEVER had a tread punctured in an area that a tire shop considered "repairable".
(so I just plugged'em all myself - now I don't even bother asking them to plug'em)
https://www.feoa.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-today.71738/page-60#post-1095126
https://www.feoa.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-wagon-today.71738/page-60#post-1095158
I honestly don’t get many punctures, but I swear my wife tries to run stuff over. 2 new tires every 6 months average for her. She’s run over screwdrivers, a corkscrew, and one time I pulled a pocket-knife blade out of her tire. I swear she aims for shiny things in the road :| tire warranty and AAA definitely worth the money there.