Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What modern (last ~5 years) car do you think most captures the spirit of the NA Miata?

The NA Miata holds a special place in pretty much every car enthusiast's heart. It wasn't fast, but light, simple, cheap, and fun. A pure driver's car. In my opinion, modern safety and emissions regulations prevent a true modern NA Miata from existing, but there are still a lot of modern cars that I think do their best to capture that essence. And I'm curious what all of you think. Which car that was built in the last ~5 years most captures the spirit of the NA Miata? the contenders that come to mind for me are the FiST (duh), ND Miata, 124 abarth, 500 abarth, BRZ/FRS/86.

Discuss away!

Spork1569

I think the closest would probably be the BRZ/86 in that it's the only real wheel drive sports car on the list, and the flickability and handling are on par with the Miata.

Having driven a friends FRS back in the day before getting the FiST, I can say the lack of torque definitely makes it feel like something is missing from the car, it's handling is almost unmatched but it feels like it could've definitely done with some forced induction from the factory to give it a little pep.

Cars like the FiST and Abarth capture the fun of the NA Miata better. They're all small cars you can hoon around in and have a blast in despite not being all that fast. Plus the FiST handles on par with many RWD cars in the corners you sometimes almost forget it's FWD.

Last edited:
ND Miata- to be completely honest, I've never driven the ND, just the NA and NC (mazdaspeed) and I feel like if the ND is as good as everyone says it is (relative to the NC) then that is the one. BRZ would be close but honestly it's a lack luster car stock- gutless, handles fine- probably in my top 8 cars, stock. FiST to me is more like recapturing the golden days of the original hot hatch movement -golf/civic- that tiny car tossable car fwd- with some pep. I'd imagine the Abarth is the same.

Business6

The ND for sure and obviously the BRZ. Not much else to even consider because there are so few naturally aspirated cars left these days which truly changes how the car feels.

The first impression I had of the FiST when I drove it was that it had similar dynamics to my Miatas just with a far more potent engine. I refer to it as a "fwd turbo miata" to other car folks when discussing it

OP
Sanity
Thread Starter #5
I'll admit I haven't been able to spend quality time in a miata or drive one at 10/10ths, but can modern FWD compete with old RWD or are the dynamics just too different?

SST

i know you mentioned 5 years, but i always like the MRS, with engine swap, it has some potential. otherwise, toyota is rumor to come out with a new mid engine car again.

I agree on the MR-S, just sold mine 2 weeks ago and already miss it. Otherwise id have to say ND.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
the nd handles really well but it *feels* really soft. The 124 Abarth “feels” sharper, but it’s really close. I’d like to drive one of the newer higher hp nd’s, sounds like just enough extra power to make it great to drive.

I think the real question is what car comes closer to the original Miata that captures the spirit of the Lotus Elan, which is what the MX-5 was designed to be in the first place. Light weight with forgiving springs but well controlled (not stiff) shocks. The original Miata did a pretty good job of replicating the Elan, but was heavier, even though it was light by today's standards. I had an Elan S4 on long term loan from a friend of mine back in the last century, and the only cars I have driven/owned since that that gave the same impression of comfort and good handling at the same time were the Miata (driven, note owned) and my Acura Integra GS-R (would have killed for the Type R),which I owned.

I say the ND, smaller, lighter, closer to the NA then the NC which was going in an odd direction. I still have my 91' NA, base model, had since new, turned 28 this year! Several mods and constant additions, still drive it when weather permits since I only drive it with the top down. In fact, off tomorrow and will be changing out a cracked tombstone center dash piece as well as taking a look at the exhaust. I don't think I will ever sell my NA...also still love my daily Fiesta of course!