Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's normal for misfires and knocks?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I have been keeping an eye on the data that AP provides on the misfires and knocks. My numbers - over more or less regular commutes, mostly highway, about 40 miles each way, averaging 60 mph - bounce around 9-15 for the misfires and 1-2 for the knocks. Is this typical? Reasonable? And if not, what would these point to?

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I will start monitoring mine for comparison.

What fuel are you using? Top tier 91 octane or above? How old are the plugs?
I use 93 (it IS Texas, after all). Sparks are quite new, maybe a couple of thousand miles. I have 1 step colder NGKs "custom gapped" by @whoosh.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
AP has one that I think is called Knock count or smth like that

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I believe that there are individual gauges for knocks on each cylinder. I need to RTFM, dammit.

Just monitor ign corr cyl 1,2,3,4. Knock sensors are very sensitive and give false knock feedback.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I believe that there are individual gauges for knocks on each cylinder. I need to RTFM, dammit.
I turned on the Knock Detection and Misfire gauges. I commute 15 miles each way, mostly freeway.

Morning: 0 knocks, 4 misfires
Evening: 0 knocks, 6 misfires

In the evening 3 of the 6 misfires occurred before I even got out of the parking lot.

I run E30 on a fairly regular basis, including today, so I would have been really surprised to see any knocks. As far as the misfires go, my plugs are only a few months old, standard temp. If my commute were 40 miles like yours, I think I'd probably have the same number of misfires, so I'm guessing (hoping?) that's not unusual.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I will look into individual cylinder values. Cobb has some tech info on the ignition timing and learning.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
IMG_20220610_145753821.jpg
Do y'all think this is too many misfires for a 20 mile drive on mostly highway? I was monitoring misfires because I have some other issues rn.

idk about misfires, but I never get more than 1 knock event. I monitor on the 3rd cylinder. I think I've read somewhere that the 3rd one is more likely to knock. It happens early in the drive (first 10min?) but never again until the engine is cold.