Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When did you replace the timing belt

Hey everyone,

I'm still on my quest to track down the strange engine note I'm getting as of late and I'd like to take a quick survey on timing belts... In case you replaced the timing belt in your FiST, then:

* What was the mileage/kilometrage you replaced it at
* What state was it in on inspection?
* Was it making any sounds?
* Were there any other failure symptoms?
* How hard are you driving your car (daily/track/autox/etc)?

Cheers,

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I've been on this forum for two years and never heard of it. Factory interval is 150k if I remember right

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #3
I've been on this forum for two years and never heard of it. Factory interval is 150k if I remember right
Yes, you're right. There's also one Euro spec maintenance guide which suggests to do it after less mileage... I've seen a few videos centered around failing timing belts where the engine makes whining sound similar to mine does, so I thought to ask around.

EDIT: The maintenance schedule says
Every 62,500 miles

In addition to the items listed above, carry out the following:
  • Renew the timing belt and tensioner – 1.25 and 1.6 litre engines
Note:Although the normal interval for timing belt renewal is 100 000 miles or 8 years, it is strongly recommended that the interval suggested above is observed, especially on cars which are subjected to intensive use, ie, mainly short journeys or a lot of stop-start driving. The actual belt renewal interval is very much up to the individual owner, but bear in mind that severe engine damage will result if the belt breaks.
The latter part describes my car, short trips mixed with intensive autox.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I thought interval was 180k miles. I havent done so yet. ( i have a long commute and run the car hard occasionally) im at 124k. So i need to plan on it soon.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yes, you're right. There's also one Euro spec maintenance guide which suggests to do it after less mileage... I've seen a few videos centered around failing timing belts where the engine makes whining sound similar to mine does, so I thought to ask around.

EDIT: The maintenance schedule says

The latter part describes my car, short trips mixed with intensive autox.
This is good information, for those like me that only drive about 4,000 miles a year, obviously a 150,000 mile interval doesn't make any sense, so I figured I would replace it at the 8 to 10 year mark to be on the safe side. It should be remembered that this is an interference engine, so that if you break a timing belt you're in a world of hurt.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I just did one on a 2011 Fiesta SES (non ST) at 161k. Bought the tools and the Chilton DIY subscription. Not terrible to do.
The service manual refers to special tools that are required to do our timing belt, I think basically to hold things in place. Does anyone know whether a competent independent mechanic who doesn't have the special Ford tools can safely do the timing belt on our car?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also, for those of us who will NOT be able to do this ourselves (for whatever various reasons), what are the other 'might as well' change items to do while everything is apart, in order to avoid REPEAT sky high labor co$t$ in the future?? [dunno]

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #9
Also, for those of us who will NOT be able to do this ourselves (for whatever various reasons), what are the other 'might as well' change items to do while everything is apart, in order to avoid REPEAT sky high labor co$t$ in the future?? [dunno]
I'm guessing the water pump and everything on the accessory belt you have a budget for? It actually turned out the noise I was complaining above was from idler and tensioner pulleys, so the timing belt job is still looming at 10 yr mark.

Also maybe worth replacing the passenger side motor mount that's also in the same area.

The service manual refers to special tools that are required to do our timing belt, I think basically to hold things in place. Does anyone know whether a competent independent mechanic who doesn't have the special Ford tools can safely do the timing belt on our car?
I bought the tools on line for $100 complete kit.

You can probably do it without the tools, but for $100 I didn't want to try.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm guessing the water pump and everything on the accessory belt you have a budget for? It actually turned out the noise I was complaining above was from idler and tensioner pulleys, so the timing belt job is still looming at 10 yr mark.

Also maybe worth replacing the passenger side motor mount that's also in the same area.
So...What did you end up doing to remedy the issue?

At 161K I did the H20 pump, the alternator, the starter and replaced all of the seals (injector and TB).

I bought this car used and the parts were all original so likely needed them.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #13
So...What did you end up doing to remedy the issue?
Both idler pulley and tensioner got replaced (luckily, under warranty, few months before it ran out). Once out of the engine bay, they weren't in a terrible state (hence the difficulty getting the shop to hear anything) but you could tell the bearings deteriorated. Even with the belt still on, I was also able to deflect the idler by hand.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Both idler pulley and tensioner got replaced (luckily, under warranty, few months before it ran out). Once out of the engine bay, they weren't in a terrible state (hence the difficulty getting the shop to hear anything) but you could tell the bearings deteriorated. Even with the belt still on, I was also able to deflect the idler by hand.
Mileage?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #17