Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When you're finally done modding your car

jeff

2000 Post Club
Was thinking today as I browsed the threads....thought I'd post some thoughts and hear other's perspective.

I've had my Fiesta ST nearly 4 years now. I plan to keep it until I can't drive anymore (hopefully many more decades). It's a 2015, I bought it with 4k on it and it now has 34k. The car is about flawless, I keep it garaged...should preserve well.

I spent maybe the first 3 years building the car and I got it to where I want it power-wise, suspension-wise, etc. Did my wheels, appearance mods, tuning on all the fuels. No need for more power, I'm quite happy with it where it is. Sure I could chase more power or an LSD or a better this or that but I feel the car is at a reasonable place of balance. I've spent $28,000 on the car total including purchase price to get it where I want it.

So for about the last year I have felt I'm done modding. I add a little piece here or there but for the most part I just enjoy the car. I don't feel it needs anything else and the mod bug went extinct about a year ago...sure there are ten more braces I could add but at this point for my driving style I feel it's the law of diminishing returns. Alot of it, honestly, is just the fun of improving the car - I enjoy the means (the process of research, saving money for parts, install) just as much as the end. But I get my creative juices flowing doing other things. It's not that I'm bored of the Fiesta; I still love every single drive and can't believe what a great car it is. I'm just done wrenching on it.

Wondered if anyone else felt this way...honestly in all these years of cars and with all the builds I've done (an SE-R, an STi, a TSX, a Corolla, a Civic, a Prelude) I've never felt this way, I always kept looking for stuff to add to the car. But with this car I feel done. Maybe it's just the season of life I'm in and less about the car.

I still hang around here, enjoy conversation with you guys, and get little bits now and then for the car, but the mods have about ended for me on this one. And it's a good thing.

Anyhow I wondered if anyone else had thoughts on this.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My approach to mods has mostly been about "feel" and "fun". If something makes me giggle, I do it. Pops on a tune? Sometimes! Big turbo? Not in California!

Turbo noises!
Exhaust!
Sharpening up the shifter!

I don't really care about big power - a stock power tune with stratified's progressive throttle map would've been enough, tbh.

That's pretty much the same way I feel about my Focus. Only thing that I could do to it , would be going turbo but I've spent to much on it as Naturally aspirated.

SrsBsns

I always wonder if I'd ever get to a point like that. I feel like I always need something to tinker with and I'll always be modding something.

Have you thought about selling the FiST and moving on to a new project? It's not to say anything about the Fiesta, but more about the feeling of progress on a project car.

I keep telling myself that I'm done modifying the Fiesta. I have a 95 M3 with a blown motor that I'm going to start building, so I'll be busy with that eventually, but I can't stop myself from doing more to either the FiST or the bike.

I have a good amount done to the FiST, but I can always do more.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I always wonder if I'd ever get to a point like that. I feel like I always need something to tinker with and I'll always be modding something.

Have you thought about selling the FiST and moving on to a new project? It's not to say anything about the Fiesta, but more about the feeling of progress on a project car.

I keep telling myself that I'm done modifying the Fiesta. I have a 95 M3 with a blown motor that I'm going to start building, so I'll be busy with that eventually, but I can't stop myself from doing more to either the FiST or the bike.

I kinda want to do another v8 fiero :)

According to my math my car has $4,300 worth of mods from the previous owner, when I bought it two weeks ago, from a dealer, no less. (And I even got the stock wheels, that I'll put winter tires on.) The only thing that I'm going to add on to it is a Whoosh rear motor mount. I have the 14/15 evap line going on this weekend. The Dizzy Stage 2 tune, which is much better than the Cobb Stage 2 tune that was on there is very nice and I'm done. The car pulls double-duty twisties and commuting, so reliability is a pretty big deal.

So I don't plan to chase HP, Autocross or the track. It is damn fun, but I'm a motorcyclist at heart, and the bike on the track is just more fun. Keywords 'lean angle' With it's mods the bike is at 155 horsepower at the crank on a 450lb bike. Nothing mind-blowing, but PLENTY fast. I got the car because of how fun I heard it was and less and less people are riding.

I am a motorcyclist who lives in an increasingly wet climate and wanted something for those 30 to 40% isolated days where the rain ruins my twisties on a bike. Rain in the car on the twisties is an issue, but not even remotely as much of an issue as it is on the bike. (Wet painted lines are fun on a vehicle with the contact patch of an egg.)

Great car, though. I'm glad that it's modded, but I would have never spent all that money on it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
According to my math my car has $4,300 worth of mods from the previous owner, when I bought it two weeks ago, from a dealer, no less. (And I even got the stock wheels, that I'll put winter tires on.) The only thing that I'm going to add on to it is a Whoosh rear motor mount. I have the 14/15 evap line going on this weekend. The Dizzy Stage 2 tune, which is much better than the Cobb Stage 2 tune that was on there is very nice and I'm done. The car pulls double-duty twisties and commuting, so reliability is a pretty big deal.

So I don't plan to chase HP, Autocross or the track. It is damn fun, but I'm a motorcyclist at heart, and the bike on the track is just more fun. Keywords 'lean angle' With it's mods the bike is at 155 horsepower at the crank on a 450lb bike. Nothing mind-blowing, but PLENTY fast. I got the car because of how fun I heard it was and less and less people are riding.

I am a motorcyclist who lives in an increasingly wet climate and wanted something for those 30 to 40% isolated days where the rain ruins my twisties on a bike. Rain in the car on the twisties is an issue, but not even remotely as much of an issue as it is on the bike. (Wet painted lines are fun on a vehicle with the contact patch of an egg.)

Great car, though. I'm glad that it's modded, but I would have never spent all that money on it.
Not being able to ride ultimately lead me to the FiST. I started with an Abarth which was a *great* bike replacement when it worked (it's so little you can move around in your lane without crossing over, like a bike), but I needed a car that started at least every other time I tried. Then after FCA bought that car back from me I bought the FiST, found it kinda boring and did what I could to add a few "rough edges" and have been generally happy with it since.

Not being able to ride ultimately lead me to the FiST. I started with an Abarth which was a *great* bike replacement when it worked (it's so little you can move around in your lane without crossing over, like a bike), but I needed a car that started at least every other time I tried. Then after FCA bought that car back from me I bought the FiST, found it kinda boring and did what I could to add a few "rough edges" and have been generally happy with it since.
For sure. Away from bikes the Fiat 500 Abarth, Fiesta ST and Miata are popular choices. I'm 6ft 6. Miatas are right out, and I just like the Fiesta's looks better than the Abarth. (Not even sure I could fit in the Abarth, too.)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
For sure. Away from bikes the Fiat 500 Abarth, Fiesta ST and Miata are popular choices. I'm 6ft 6. Miatas are right out, and I just like the Fiesta's looks better than the Abarth. (Not even sure I could fit in the Abarth, too.)
The Abarth had significantly more passenger room than the FiST believe it or not! I'm about 6'3" and my wife is 6'1" and we were much more comfortable in the Abarth. Much more legroom, and the back seat was actually more usable. My wife used to call it the Tardis lol.

SrsBsns

It's funny, when the motor on the M3 went, I was looking into something like a Tacoma or a Prius, thinking that I could just scratch the need for speed with the bike. I kind of stumbled on the FiST after looking a bunch of different hatchbacks and fell in love with it.

It definitely doesn't replace the bike, but on Sunday mornings when I'm about to go do a canyon fun run, I do often finding myself trying to figure out if I'm taking the bike or the FiST.

Sad thing is that I have the mod bug for the bike too. I think it was stock for about 2 weeks before I started going pretty crazy with swapping things out. I still have more I want to do, but it will come in time.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's funny, when the motor on the M3 went, I was looking into something like a Tacoma or a Prius, thinking that I could just scratch the need for speed with the bike. I kind of stumbled on the FiST after looking a bunch of different hatchbacks and fell in love with it.

It definitely doesn't replace the bike, but on Sunday mornings when I'm about to go do a canyon fun run, I do often finding myself trying to figure out if I'm taking the bike or the FiST.

Sad thing is that I have the mod bug for the bike too. I think it was stock for about 2 weeks before I started going pretty crazy with swapping things out. I still have more I want to do, but it will come in time.
Get an SV650! It's basically the perfect bike, as it comes.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Prepare to drop some serious cash! Lol M stands for Money. ;)
I will do some more stuff to my FiST will go larger Turbo. I am actually going to sell my M3 and I plan on getting back into a S30 240z first full on sports car I owned. Would like one to have and no will not sell it after I get it. I had many in the past and sold them all.
I will do a resto mod route . I do not want to own a museum piece I want to own cars I will drive. Thats means stock engine or engine numbers do not matter clean interior , clean body and then update suspension and engine.
Oh wait this is about the FiST:ROFLMAO: I do see a point where modding it will be finished and thats a year or so out max maybe less.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I will do some more stuff to my FiST will go larger Turbo. I am actually going to sell my M3 and I plan on getting back into a S30 240z first full on sports car I owned. Would like one to have and no will not sell it after I get it. I had many in the past and sold them all.
I will do a resto mod route . I do not want to own a museum piece I want to own cars I will drive. Thats means stock engine or engine numbers do not matter clean interior , clean body and then update suspension and engine.
Oh wait this is about the FiST:ROFLMAO: I do see a point where modding it will be finished and thats a year or so out max maybe less.
Have been half-assedly shopping around for the following cars:
- Porsche 914-6
- DeTomaso Pantera (pre smog car with the post smog nose and tail)
- Clean, original 240z, hopefully with a rocketbunny kit
- 1976-1977 Toyota Celica GT (its almost a 240z - had one, super fun mini-mustang)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I figure I'm into the 4k range also....Aux. fuel going in @ CP-E next week & DYnoed. Driving from Mn to SoCaro by myself. It will be an interesting trip. After that I will be Putting the suspension on and letting it destroy some egos for a while. Plus the Typhoon has been severely neglected for the past 4 years and needs to be driven more. I'll bet I've driven under 300 miles on it maybe even less in the past 4 years. I'll possibly create a journey thread from MN to Spartanburg...
Maybe hit up the Dragons tail.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

I learned on an SV. I have an XSR900 that I really love. It's based on the FZ/MT09 and it has a ton of low end torque which is perfect for hooligan riding, but it's also well balanced and aggressive enough for the canyons.

I do miss my CBR1000RR pretty often though and I'm trying to talk myself out of going back to a 1000cc super sport. It was just pure excess. There's no need for that kind of power.

SrsBsns

I know! The good news is that the body and everything else is in pretty good shape. I'm just debating which route I want to go.

I'm thinking LSx... but that's going to be a lot of $$.

My other thoughts are to go with a 2JZ-GTE (reverse Supra lol) or upgrading to the S54 from the E46 M3.

Either way, should be a fun project.

Used to have a 2005 Marble Rakis Red SV650S. Put on new fork springs, fluid and an 05 ZX10R shock (common mod) and it was a peach. Redlining that some bitch all up and down the mountains with that 72hp.

Se7eN

I don't know if I'm 100% done modding. I do plan on keeping it and the 300+whp is more then plenty for now. I guess I'd do suspension mods to finish it as it is on stock suspension. I don't really do autocross and the roads here are horrible.

My other car (Camaro), I knew I was done modding after the the engine, trans and diff where all 0 mile rebuilds and if I added more power they'd all blow up again. So it just sits there in a garage getting maybe 500-1000 yearly.

Guess with the upcoming responsibilities of being married and such I've been slowing down my car spending. Although I'd love having a Coyote or putting a Hong Kong spiny boy or 2 on the old LS.