Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Where do you keep your Accessport?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
When you get out of the car, where do you put your Accessport? Just on the dash like when driving? In the glovebox? Do you take it out of the car? How does it handle sitting in a car when it is extremely hot outside, like 100 degrees?

Spork1569

I carry a backpack with me usually if I'm going somewhere so I just stick it in there. If I plan on leaving it in the car because it's a quick trip or I'm not taking the backpack with me, I put it in the center console.

It handles heat fine, I used to leave attached all the time before I started carrying it and had no issues at all.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I carry a backpack with me usually if I'm going somewhere so I just stick it in there. If I plan on leaving it in the car because it's a quick trip or I'm not taking the backpack with me, I put it in the center console.

It handles heat fine, I used to leave attached all the time before I started carrying it and had no issues at all.
Sounds good. Thank you.

HBEcoBeaST

Mine sits in the glovebox disconnected. I don't really monitor anything regularly and I keep it in the glovebox in case I have to emergency flash back to 91 if I can't find an e85 station (happened once). I used to mount it on my dash but when I got pulled over the cop knew it was an 'illegal modification'. I also don't need to give thieves a reason to break into my car.

Maybe its my PTSD but I don't need my AP in plain sight.

cxwrench

In the case down in the storage area of the door, by the bottle holder. If I'm going someplace sketchy I leave it at home.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Mine is in its place on the dash at all times. Handles 100+ degree weather no problem. I figure that given that this a married unit specific to the car model, there won't be much interest in stealing it. I'm assuming that people don't steal radios any more...

I don't go to sketchy places. We'll, define "sketchy".

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine sits in its magnetic holder in the Hvac vent to the Right of the Steering wheel for data monitoring and changing Maps/Tune. It never Leaves the Car unless I'm in an area I'm not familiar with. The FiST is parked in a garage most of the time.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Mine sits in the glovebox disconnected. I don't really monitor anything regularly and I keep it in the glovebox in case I have to emergency flash back to 91 if I can't find an e85 station (happened once). I used to mount it on my dash but when I got pulled over the cop knew it was an 'illegal modification'. I also don't need to give thieves a reason to break into my car.

Maybe its my PTSD but I don't need my AP in plain sight.
I’d be interested in the “illegal modification” bit - could you expound? Is this something state-specific? Any and all mods are between you and your state inspection station, I’d think. Are there laws against using AP? You could be just running the stock tune for all the cop knew - it can’t be illegal to monitor boost pressure or AFR???

Spork1569

I’d be interested in the “illegal modification” bit - could you expound? Is this something state-specific? Any and all mods are between you and your state inspection station, I’d think. Are there laws against using AP? You could be just running the stock tune for all the cop knew - it can’t be illegal to monitor boost pressure or AFR???
It's CA so you know, strictest smog laws in the USA. I'm pretty sure cops are well aware of what the AP does due to all the hooning WRX drivers that have one too.

Even if you say it's just for monitoring the cop can be a dick and ref you. I have yet to be pulled over in the Fist but my plan is to hide the AP in the glove box if so.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It's CA so you know, strictest smog laws in the USA. I'm pretty sure cops are well aware of what the AP does due to all the hooning WRX drivers that have one too.

Even if you say it's just for monitoring the cop can be a dick and ref you. I have yet to be pulled over in the Fist but my plan is to hide the AP in the glove box if so.
That’s nuts. What happened to the presumption of innocence? Would he know that you WERE running a tune? And if so, he’d have to administer an emissions check on the spot, just like sobriety one. I wouldn’t expect that ticket to hold up in court. You can say that it’s easier to hide it than tease the geese, but that’s just fascism. This needs to be challenged. That’s effing profiling.

Spork1569

That’s nuts. What happened to the presumption of innocence? Would he know that you WERE running a tune? And if so, he’d have to administer an emissions check on the spot, just like sobriety one. I wouldn’t expect that ticket to hold up in court. You can say that it’s easier to hide it than tease the geese, but that’s just fascism. This needs to be challenged. That’s effing profiling.
Yeah CA definitely has a pretty interesting vendetta against modded cars in some places. Ask @Clint Beastwood about how they target modified cars in his area.

Luckily they don't seem so strict everywhere(my area and parts of LA are better) but it does suck that basically a cop can make you pop the hood if he assumes you're running anything that affects emmisions(or give some BS reason about your exhaust or other mod as probable cause) . Refusing means getting possibly impounded so it's usually better to comply and get sent to the referee. At least then you can revert to stock and pass just fine.

HBEcoBeaST

While my ideals are inline with yours, let me elaborate on the situation. First week owning the car, going 90 in a 45mph, tinted windows, no plates and no registration (bought car online, waiting for mail). So the AP flopping around on the dash was just another thing to piss him off since I had nothing showing I owned it other than the delivery slip.

I got off pretty easy since I had to do the DMV inspection for out of state registration anyways. The lady was pretty thorough and even checked if it was turbocharged from the factory. I'm not sure if she could spot a hybrid set up but any big turbo kit would have been noticed.

And yes I've had my truck and car broken into in Santa Ana and Anaheim. For my trucks stereo and my FiSTs AP.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
While my ideals are inline with yours, let me elaborate on the situation. First week owning the car, going 90 in a 45mph, tinted windows, no plates and no registration (bought car online, waiting for mail). So the AP flopping around on the dash was just another thing to piss him off since I had nothing showing I owned it other than the delivery slip.

I got off pretty easy since I had to do the DMV inspection for out of state registration anyways. The lady was pretty thorough and even checked if it was turbocharged from the factory. I'm not sure if she could spot a hybrid set up but any big turbo kit would have been noticed.

And yes I've had my truck and car broken into in Santa Ana and Anaheim. For my trucks stereo and my FiSTs AP.
Jeebus. Y’all can keep your earthquakes and your mudslides. As if this weren’t enough for me to not move to Cali, this bullshit cinches it. I have issues with TX, but this kind of crap would NEVER fly here. Heck, I roll into my state inspection station with Cobb Stage 3 tune and a straight catless pipe, smelling obnoxious (the car, not me).

Pass every time. Because no emissions test and no visual inspection either. But I’d feel bad for the spotted owls, if we had any here. Heck, my firearm - chambered, safety on - is in the elbow rest cubby as they inspect. Yee-haw!

HBEcoBeaST

Profiling?!? Cops? NEVER! haha
Honestly where I live they usually are looking for drunk drivers or tourists being dumb. Since CA has a myriad of insane laws, if they really want to pull you over and check you out, they will. Front windows tinted? No Front Plate? Loud Exhaust? Loud Music? Loud Intake? BOV? Tires poking beyond body? Changing lanes too often? At any given moment they have a million reasons to pull you over.

I've reduced some pretty bad no-no's by being polite and having honest answers.

SrsBsns

Yeah, especially in HB, you're asking for it. They're bad out there.

I'm in San Diego and it's not so bad here. I was doing ~80 this morning when a CHP got onto the freeway and immediately pulled up next to me. We were doing 80 side by side and when I let off the gas, there was a distinct "whooosh" from the BOV, immediately followed by the "POP POP POP" from the crackle tune. I had the AP on a magnetic mount near the driver's side A pillar. The cop looked at me, I slowed down slowly, and he drove right off.