Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which LSD?

anticon

I got the go ahead to get a lsd installed. I don't race or anything, just spirited driving on some local twisties for fun. But I get real tired of the one tire spinning when I want to get on it out of the corner. I typically am more of a value guy, so I want the best performance for the value with the least worry about maintenance. I assume install costs will be similar for all of them. So, is the quaife or kaaz worth the premium over the mfactory?

haste

1000 Post Club
Don't get the Kaaz. It has a clutch pack and would eventually require maintenance.

If you just need it for general everyday use and some spirited driving, the Mfactory should be just fine. I ended up with the Quaife because I got it for a great price from pumaspeed in the UK when the exchange rate was good.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I have the MFactory yeah. I’ve had it for quite awhile now with no issues. It’s the best performance mod I’ve done to the car without question. I bought it because they have a reliable reputation and the price is reasonable. It works really well with the factory torque vectoring control system. As soon as TVC kicks in it locks the diff which immediately makes TVC disengage. It saves front brake wear tremendously and the car will pull hard out of turns under heavy throttle. If you need a diff for a FiST, just buy the MFactory and be done. You can message them here to buy direct. Im sure the Quaife is just as good but it’s more expensive and does the same thing. I didn’t want a clutch LSD because they’re high maintenance and usually noisy.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The other one to consider is the Wavetrac which a lot of people run as well. I drove my buddies Wavetrac last week and loved it. It’s roughly $300 more than the Mfactory but its got a patented system that‘s pretty cool. Its also built here in the U.S. so you are supporting U.S. jobs.

The other one to consider is the Wavetrac which a lot of people run as well. I drove my buddies Wavetrac last week and loved it. It’s roughly $300 more than the Mfactory but its got a patented system that‘s pretty cool. Its also built here in the U.S. so you are supporting U.S. jobs.
In fairness, M-Factory is also an American company. Their design and R&D are US based and manufacturing is done in Taiwan.

Buying Wavetrac supports US manufacturing, both support US jobs.

Personally, I bought the M-Factory. Predominantly because I read Woods build thread and he tracks his car heavily and runs my home track. So I went with it. Still awaiting install...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
In fairness, M-Factory is also an American company. Their design and R&D are US based and manufacturing is done in Taiwan.

Buying Wavetrac supports US manufacturing, both support US jobs.

Personally, I bought the M-Factory. Predominantly because I read Woods build thread and he tracks his car heavily and runs my home track. So I went with it. Still awaiting install...
I am not sure why you quoted my post , I neither alluded to the fact that the MFactory was or was not an American company or where it was manufactured. I merely stated the Wavetrac was patented and designed and manufactured here so you are supporting U.S. jobs.
perhaps I should not have stated it was supporting U.S. jobs as it seems to have triggered a need by to respond that Mfactory supports U.S. jobs as well?
lol

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I wasn’t aware of Wavetrac. MFactory has a presence here which is how I heard about them. Their diffs seem to work really well in other platforms and the price and warranty were hard to pass up so I pulled the trigger and bought one from Whoosh. Turns out I could’ve saved more by buying direct but I’m cool with buying Ron dinner and a beer. I don’t particularly care where parts are made as long as they aren’t shit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You cannot go wrong with any of the Torsen type, worm gear style diffs, but I prefer the Wavetrac due to it's slightly different design.

One factor that would keep me from getting one of the clutch plate/friction type limited slips, besides the wear/maintenance, is that they require both a heavier gear oil (like at least Motul Gear 300 weight), and a friction modifier additive (either in the gear oil or added separately), which might have an adverse effect on the function of the synchros/blocker rings in the gearbox part of our transaxles.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wasn’t aware of Wavetrac. MFactory has a presence here which is how I heard about them. Their diffs seem to work really well in other platforms and the price and warranty were hard to pass up so I pulled the trigger and bought one from Whoosh. Turns out I could’ve saved more by buying direct but I’m cool with buying Ron dinner and a beer. I don’t particularly care where parts are made as long as they aren’t shit.
Oh I have no qualms as to where they are made. I just mentioned the fact that the Wavetrac was made here and mentioned the supporting U.S. jobs because there are some on the board here passionate about that kind of thing.
Truth be told I went back and forth and whether to buy the Mfactory or the Wavetrac. My inner frugal was like oh just spend less on the MFactory . Though my inner geek won out on this one with the whole design of the Wavetrac which I feel is brilliant design and others here have bought it reviewed it and liked it. After driving it first hand I am sold.

ronmcdon

I would say try to meet up with somebody who has it installed and see if you like it.

have quaife on my 240sx and really liked it. the wavetrack on my fiesta work well although I feel it's effects more notably on the track and at my first autoX with the car today.

Gotta say it's a real shame if you don't autoX or track the car. Its so affordable on consumables. cannot beat 2 gallons of gas used for a 20 min session and a set of 200tw tyres under 600.

I am not sure why you quoted my post , I neither alluded to the fact that the MFactory was or was not an American company or where it was manufactured. I merely stated the Wavetrac was patented and designed and manufactured here so you are supporting U.S. jobs.
perhaps I should not have stated it was supporting U.S. jobs as it seems to have triggered a need by to respond that Mfactory supports U.S. jobs as well?
lol
I wasn't triggered or emotional. You said:

"It’s roughly $300 more than the Mfactory but its got a patented system that‘s pretty cool. Its also built here in the U.S. so you are supporting U.S. jobs."

This drew a direct comparison between the two. If it wasn't intended that way, understood.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Actually to get down to the reasons and differences of the Two Wavetrac vs a Quaife or Mfactory this guy explains it with the exact reasons why one could choose the Wavetrac over the other ones.
scroll to around 7;19 for the exact reasons why the Wavetrac is a better design. The is also a few other reviews on the Wavetrac by FiST owners and are very own SirSinclair.
View: https://youtu.be/gCiWIBWnEVY

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I should start a YouTube channel so my opinions mean shit. What’s great about torsion diffs in the Fiesta is the TVC is actually helpful. It automatically locks the diff if a front wheel is raised. You don’t have to tap the brake since the electronics lock it automatically. I experience this regularly in T3 at Road Atlanta. I don’t brake hard in turns, just trail brake a little. I suppose the Wavetrac could be better in loose terrain though.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I should start a YouTube channel so my opinions mean shit. What’s great about torsion diffs in the Fiesta is the TVC is actually helpful. It automatically locks the diff if a front wheel is raised. You don’t have to tap the brake since the electronics lock it automatically. I experience this regularly in T3 at Road Atlanta. I don’t brake hard in turns, just trail brake a little. I suppose the Wavetrac could be better in loose terrain though.
You should, you have valuable experience that can provide guidance.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
You should, you have valuable experience that can provide guidance.
Man I wish I had the patience. I have a buddy who’s absolutely killing it as a YouTuber. I like SparkplugSteve a lot. He’s fun to watch.

Edit: go watch his last video and listen to his Diff before the additive lol. It’s hilarious.

Have had Quaife and Wavetrac. They're both a huge improvement on the road compared to the open diff. On track, they still help, but remain ineffective on low speed cambered corners where you lift a front tire off the ground or have very little load on it (for instance "Offramp" corner at Buttonwillow, I still spin inside tire on 2nd gear with both Quaife and Wavetrac).

IMHO the biggest *observable* difference between Quaife/Wavetrac/MFactory is the torque biasing ratio of each option. Depending on the ratio, you'll feel more or less straightening of the steering wheel on throttle. Which ratio is best will depend on how you will use the car, layout of local tracks and/or personal preference..