Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which wheels AND tires are right for my goals?

So I’ve been looking into a few different types of wheels and tires. Initially I was looking at the RPF1’s in 16x8’s but hate how the wheels make the car looks like a Honda Fit with how small they are. Another choice I came to is the good old Konig Hypergrams 16x8’s with 205/40/17’s or 215/4017’s.
I’m torn because now I’m back to wanting the 16x8’s but I’ve read of people running so many different tread widths and heights for different reason.
Car will do maybe 2 autocross events in a year, a hill climb, is a dd, and gets driven on twisties. In the next 2-3 months car will be fbo with a hybrid turbo.
I’ll be running Swift springs this year and going to ST coilovers or FA’s.
Tires will be Falken Azeni RT615’s or Toyo R888’s. I’ve ran both and have had good luck with both. I like how the Azeni’s don’t do bad in the rain. Tires will only be ran in the spring/summer/part of fall.

Thanks everyone

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I’ve been looking into a few different types of wheels and tires. Initially I was looking at the RPF1’s in 16x8’s but hate how the wheels make the car looks like a Honda Fit with how small they are. Another choice I came to is the good old Konig Hypergrams 16x8’s with 205/40/17’s or 215/4017’s.
I’m torn because now I’m back to wanting the 16x8’s but I’ve read of people running so many different tread widths and heights for different reason.
Car will do maybe 2 autocross events in a year, a hill climb, is a dd, and gets driven on twisties. In the next 2-3 months car will be fbo with a hybrid turbo.
I’ll be running Swift springs this year and going to ST coilovers or FA’s.
Tires will be Falken Azeni RT615’s or Toyo R888’s. I’ve ran both and have had good luck with both. I like how the Azeni’s don’t do bad in the rain. Tires will only be ran in the spring/summer/part of fall.

Thanks everyone
16x8 will not fit well with 17 inch tires* is it a 17x8 that you mean? If so 215s better choice....wider look*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #3
16x8 will not fit well with 17 inch tires* is it a 17x8 that you mean? If so 215s better choice....wider look*

I’m torn between 16x8’s and 17x8’s. I’m torn between tires for both because of function, cost, and tire choice.

Sorry thread is all over the place, just woke up lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’m torn between 16x8’s and 17x8’s. I’m torn between tires for both because of function, cost, and tire choice.

Sorry thread is all over the place, just woke up lol.
I'm always awake....Never woke* I'd roll with the almost stock size 17 wheel in a 215 to keep the handling characteristics * I have 215s on my Stockers now....ill never go back to 205s.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #5
I'm always awake....Never woke* I'd roll with the almost stock size 17 wheel in a 215 to keep the handling characteristics * I have 215s on my Stockers now....ill never go back to 205s.

That’s what I’m leaning towards, but my mind keeps going back and forth on wheel and tire sizes lol. I’m pretty sold on the Hypergrams.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you ever plan on running a very big aftermarket brake kit in the future, the 17" options will clear more of them, but yes Ron's (Whoosh Motorsports) various sized kits do fit the smaller wheels, albeit still requiring spacers for most.

Most on here diss the 17s due to un-sprung weight concerns, but some are relatively light for their size. [wink]

Slightly [offtopic] yes, but; Which sanctioning body there in the PacWest allows you to do hill climbs without at least a solid roll bar, if not a cage, as well as other obligatory safety equipment?? [???:)]

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #7
IF you ever plan on running a very big aftermarket brake kit in the future, the 17" options will clear more of them, but yes Ron's (Whoosh Motorsports) various sized kits do fit the smaller wheels, albeit still requiring spacers for most.

Most on here diss the 17s due to un-sprung weight concerns, but some are relatively light for their size. [wink]

Slightly [offtopic] yes, but; Which sanctioning body there in the PacWest allows you to do hill climbs without at least a solid roll bar, if not a cage, as well as other obligatory safety equipment?? [???:)]
I’m pretty sure the Hypergrams are a few pounds lighter per wheel than stock and are the closest in size? Lol

NHA makes you have a hans and rollbar at minimum depending on the tires you’re running. Idk why tires make a different lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, the Konigs are light for their size, but there are also a few other 17 x 7.5s/8s which are right at, or even a bit under 17 lbs. each (forgot which ones they are now).

The tires might come into play because they feel you are more likely to roll from '3-wheeling/2-wheeling' on a very sticky tire, than on a 300+ tread wear 'street' tire, albeit a spin at the wrong spot could be just as deadly/destructive (like going off of the hillside/mountain into a deep ravine). [dunno]