Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whining noise when taking off from an incline

FiSt200

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone had this issue or could shed some light as to what could be the issue.
I was taking off from a pretty steep incline when I began to hear this continuous whining noise, a bit concerned - I quickly slammed my clutch back in and stepped on the brake, and the noise went away. When beginning to take off once more, the noise reappeared. Once I had taken off (completely off the clutch) the noise disappeared.
When trying to replicate the issue I noticed the following. The noise only presents itself when I am taking off from a really steep incline, if I am on a more gentle/lower gradient incline or on flat roads - there is no noise.
This has happened to me twice thus far. I do not ride/burn the clutch.
The car is currently doing just over 93000 kms (58000 miles).

OP
F

FiSt200

Thread Starter #3
I would guess you are hearing the brakes from the hill holding feature.
I have the hill assist feature turned off. As long as the clutch was pushed in fully, there was no noise - only once I started releasing the clutch, the whining noise was present. Once I was off the clutch, it was gone again.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The timing of the noise is exactly when you hear the hill hold working.

If it's not from the hill hold, and it starts happening any time you start releasing the clutch, then worsens to any time you push the clutch pedal, it's likely one of the clutch bearings.