Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who else had to drive through the Chicago snow on all season tires?

pixelzombie

It was quite the commute tonight. That lake effect snow was screaming off the lake going from East to West. The Neo Gen tires are no match for Blizzaks, but thanks to ABS and Traction control for keeping things under control.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Glad you made it OK. I lived in Chicago for years, and I had some of the best times of my life there.

Most of you know this, but it's for those who may not: If you have an AP, it's time for low boost mode. ESC on.

God help you if you're on summer tires! :ROFLMAO:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It was quite the commute tonight. That lake effect snow was screaming off the lake going from East to West. The Neo Gen tires are no match for Blizzaks, but thanks to ABS and Traction control for keeping things under control.
Which size Neo Gens, how worn, and how deep was the snow??

I ask because I have them in 205/50-16s on Dekas as a daily driver setup, and have yet to have them out in even an 1/16" of the stuff. [wink]

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #4
Which size Neo Gens, how worn, and how deep was the snow??

I ask because I have them in 205/50-16s on Dekas as a daily driver setup, and have yet to have them out in even an 1/16" of the stuff. [wink]
I have the stock size for 17" wheels with maybe 6K miles on them, so plenty of tread. It was probably a good 4 inches of slick snow, the dry stuff would've been much easier to deal with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the stock size for 17" wheels with maybe 6K miles on them, so plenty of tread. It was probably a good 4 inches of slick snow, the dry stuff would've been much easier to deal with.
Thanks! [thumb]

It is impressive that they got through that AT ALL (let alone were able to move forward a foot, or brake at all!), at ANY speed, and even with all of the nannies engaged!!

I was fearful of taking them out in even less than a half inch of the frozen stuff, now I won't be IF I am forced to drive in it. [wink]

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #6
A
Thanks! [thumb]

It is impressive that they got through that AT ALL (let alone were able to move forward a foot, or brake at all!), at ANY speed, and even with all of the nannies engaged!!

I was fearful of taking them out in even less than a half inch of the frozen stuff, now I won't be IF I am forced to drive in it. [wink]
At some intersections I had very little traction, and it was also paramount not to make any sudden lane changes. I tried doing donuts at Costco, but that snow was more of a powder, so not as slick.

Not Chicago, but I've had my taste of snow in Columbus recently. Riken Raptors have preformed surprisingly well (on my 16x7 sparcos)... considering they're kinda meh, in ideal conditions. 5 inches of powder was actually a joy to play in

Glad you made it through Tuesday’s snow on Neo Gen’s — I think we’re going to get more tomorrow.
I changed to my winter setup (Michelin X-Ice3 on 15’s) a month ago, so I was excited to get out there on Tuesday night and work on some “car control.”

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #9
Glad you made it through Tuesday’s snow on Neo Gen’s — I think we’re going to get more tomorrow.
I changed to my winter setup (Michelin X-Ice3 on 15’s) a month ago, so I was excited to get out there on Tuesday night and work on some “car control.”
I don't have a spare set of wheels just yet, so switching over means a trip to the tire shop. I suppose Pep Boys would be cheaper than going to Discount Tire.

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #11
It probably depends on what you’re looking for, but if you’re just looking for winter beaters, I’d keep an eye on Craigslist. For example:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/wto/d/north-aurora-16-focal-winter-wheels/7254322568.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/wto/d/mequon-winter-wheels-tires-ford-focus/7224993198.html
Thanks for the heads up. So the focal wheel will fit the ST without any issues?

If that's the case, I need to sell my 17" blizzaks while I can.

Others on this forum know 1000 times more about wheel/tire fitment than I do—but I don’t see why they wouldn’t fit if they are 4x108 bolt pattern, 16”, and 40mm offset. Tire Rack’s website says the Focal F20 fits our cars, and I’ve never known Tire Rack to be wrong. Assuming you’re not lowered too much, I don’t think 195/50r16 would rub (and you’re probably not pushing a winter tire hard enough that it’s an issue).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They will be FINE (I just don't like the aesthetics of dual drilled bolt patterns, but that's just me being obsessive about wheels! LOL).

I lived in Chicago for 40+ years and never had winter tires. I always found that front-wheel drive and reasonably-treaded radials worked just fine. Big snow got plowed quickly, even in the suburbs, with plenty of salt. Plus, city driving is rarely faster than 30 mph, which is easily maintained and controlled. One thing: my '88 Mustang (5.0) back in the day was a JOKE in the snow until I got rid of the V-rated tires and got H-rated (still a bit of a joke). Once I was parked, level flat, with maybe an inch of snow, and the wheels spun slowly with the car in 2nd and the motor only at idle speed.

OP
pixelzombie

pixelzombie

Thread Starter #15
I lived in Chicago for 40+ years and never had winter tires. I always found that front-wheel drive and reasonably-treaded radials worked just fine. Big snow got plowed quickly, even in the suburbs, with plenty of salt. Plus, city driving is rarely faster than 30 mph, which is easily maintained and controlled. One thing: my '88 Mustang (5.0) back in the day was a JOKE in the snow until I got rid of the V-rated tires and got H-rated (still a bit of a joke). Once I was parked, level flat, with maybe an inch of snow, and the wheels spun slowly with the car in 2nd and the motor only at idle speed.
I never had them till last year. They were already on the FiST that I bought. The level of traction and control they gave was quite impressive and very reassuring to have.