Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh hybrid questions

I’ve looked through the alternate threads and some questions I have aren’t really answered.

1. What is the difference between the 11 and 14 wastegate actuator and which one is the best choice?

2. How is the real world reliability on these, daily driving, no track time but occasional spirited driving.

3. Is it worth it to get the tubular manifold, and does it still install on the motor as it would with the stock manifold?

4. I’m in Arizona and it gets very hot here in the summer. I drive normal in the summer, but will it still be too hot for the hybrid, do I need to get the coating Ron offer for a few hundred more, or is that strictly for autocross/circuit track conditions where obviously I’m working the system for long periods of time?

I’m aware of the whp numbers and limitations vs the s280, but I’ve always been a fan of ease of maintenance/user friendly products. Currently have Mountune radiator, hot/cold ic pipes, step lower plugs, mAp IC, TS symposer BOV, mishimoto intake, vellasotech(sp) big mouth, tuned by dizzy. I’d probably want 2 maps, 91, and the other an e30 which is why I’ve asked about the wastegate actuator, thanks!

-Derek

Last edited:

Business6

I'm going to say if you ever have the option to ceramic coat something before it's shipped to you do it. Controlling heat is of the utmost importance in these cars when they're stock let alone when you're swapping turbos and modding.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I don't think any of the other hybrids were coated, did anyone have trouble with those? It does look cool though.
Nothing specific other than the hybrid generating more heat. I figure if more heat is coming off of it I mine as well try to deflect as much as possible. Once its in you will probably only see the color if youre down in there messing with the blow off valve. Makes me wonder though would "locking" more heat in with a coating make the turbo more susceptible to heat related damage? I dont know. But keeping it out of the engine bay on its own would probably be a net positive.

OP
dwilkens
Thread Starter #8
Nothing specific other than the hybrid generating more heat. I figure if more heat is coming off of it I mine as well try to deflect as much as possible. Once its in you will probably only see the color if youre down in there messing with the blow off valve. Makes me wonder though would "locking" more heat in with a coating make the turbo more susceptible to heat related damage? I dont know. But keeping it out of the engine bay on its own would probably be a net positive.
True, I remember when I had my 2002 Celica(in 2002) they came with functional hood scoops. These would connect to a small duct that would be used to send cooling air to the exhaust, was neat.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Ever heard of a turbo blanket?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Yes. I heard they can cause corrosion issues due to moisture build up. I would probably prefer the coating, based off nerding out on the internet.
You're concerned that your turbo that runs over 1000 degrees is going to trap moisture and cause corrosion in a blanket designed to keep it running hotter for longer.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Not while its over 1000 degrees but yes.
If moisture is condensing on your turbine housing you’re running your car too rich. This could cause your turbine to seize up with ice in the winter time. Try running step hotter plugs and leaning out your tune.