Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh hybrid turbo - Does it whistle?

After going back and forth on whether or not to upgrade the turbo on my FiST, I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade. I've got a hybrid in mind, because I don't want to lose the low end grunt, and want the power to continue past 4.5k rpms. I was looking at the Pumaspeed X37/47, but it's come to my attention that these hybrids are notorious for whistling. I don't want my car to sound like a teapot.
So my question is this: Does the Whoosh hybrid turbo have the same whistle as the X37/47? I'd like to get feedback from anyone that's run one of these turbos.

Thanks

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just look at it this way.....not having a Hybrid and getting a Big Turbo you save the shock on the drivetrain with all the Torque downlow and it being moved up the RPM. Plus.. not to mention Tires.....I get better mileage now than I did with my Stocker on the Highway with a BT. FOod for thought....and you always have room to GROW if you wanna move up the food chain....if you get what I'm saying.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Redhedmetalhed
Thread Starter #3
I get what you're saying, but I don't like having to be at 4k+ rpms to hit full boost, and I don't like having to use braided aftermarket line for oil/coolant, which almost all non-OEM framed turbos require.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Journal bearings Vs. Ball bearings....something to think about also. The braided lines plug into the rubber OEM lines that used the hardlines also. All Turbos whistle BTW. Some are just louder than others. My Gen2 does it....but it is faint.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
After going back and forth on whether or not to upgrade the turbo on my FiST, I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade. I've got a hybrid in mind, because I don't want to lose the low end grunt, and want the power to continue past 4.5k rpms. I was looking at the Pumaspeed X37/47, but it's come to my attention that these hybrids are notorious for whistling. I don't want my car to sound like a teapot.
So my question is this: Does the Whoosh hybrid turbo have the same whistle as the X37/47? I'd like to get feedback from anyone that's run one of these turbos.

Thanks
the whistle you mention has a lot to do with the intake system you have on your Fiesta
with a closed box type it will be barely noticeable but if you have an open element intake short ram type, yes you will hear a whistle sound when ramping up boost
The sound is something most enjoy and isn't unappealing in any way
I'm only speaking of our hybrid of course

One of our Fiestas has the Turbo Technics S280 installed for testing. That turbo whistles louder than any other I've heard on a Fiesta and frankly I love it

Woods247

2000 Post Club
My X47 whistles. Rumor has it, the large Pumaspeed turbo inlet gets rid of it. I have one awaiting installation.. I’ll post results here after it’s installed. FWIW, I have an ITG intake and the whistle is loud. It used to drive me crazy but I don’t even notice it now.. @jeff has the stock airbox and doesn’t hear it at all. He also proved there is virtually unnoticeable power loss after going back to the stock airbox from the CPE.

My buddy’s MRX whistles under acceleration and so does another friend’s 1st gen 2860. Noise happens when you move a lot of air I suppose. The extra power is worth it.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
ITG intake + 2860 = sex
I had a lady jump in front of my car flailing her arms and yelling “Slow down!! I have kids!!” a few days ago. I was in 1st gear accelerating to 2nd SLOWLY after a speed bump (because I have kids too and never, never speed in hoods) and she thought I was hammering it. I politely explained why she is an “asshole” and whooshed my way on down the road, past her Model X and Leaf.

OP
Redhedmetalhed
Thread Starter #12
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about regular turbo spool sound. I love that. The hybrids from Pumaspeed have a very distinctive high pitched whistle that makes the car sound like a teapot for a certain rpm range and it's god awful.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about regular turbo spool sound. I love that. The hybrids from Pumaspeed have a very distinctive high pitched whistle that makes the car sound like a teapot for a certain rpm range and it's god awful.
it's from the tons of extra air being pulled into a relatively small hole combined with a fabricated metal inlet - all combined it makes this sound when ramping boost
again, as mentioned before it depends which intake you have installed. Closed air box type systems like ST200, stock, cp-e, Mishimoto will not be noticeable
open air filter types like Injen, MAP, itg, RAMAIR, etc etc etc etc will be more noticable

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
it's from the tons of extra air being pulled into a relatively small hole combined with a fabricated metal inlet - all combined it makes this sound when ramping boost
again, as mentioned before it depends which intake you have installed. Closed air box type systems like ST200, stock, cp-e, Mishimoto will not be noticeable
open air filter types like Injen, MAP, itg, RAMAIR, etc etc etc etc will be more noticable
Scratch CP-E off your list. The x47r whistle is very loud with mine.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Run a stock intake if you don’t want to hear it. Not sure how to be more specific than that. A high-flow filter in the stock intake is fine. I’ll install the larger inlet this week and post an update here.

Edit: the rpm is 3000. I was pretty f’n annoyed by it but like I said before, it doesn’t bother me at all now. It’s definitely NOT a reason to avoid purchasing a Whoosh hybrid.

jeff

2000 Post Club
The X47 whistle happens around 3,000rpm. It had something to do with the way the fins were clipped. I think that whistle that everyone complained about only happened to that one model. The Whoosh and others, I suspect, are only going to give the usual extra intake noise which is part of having a non-OEM setup.

As others have said, keep stock airbox if you want it quieter. I tried various things and I'm not one for intake noises, I want to hear my motor and exhaust. I'm on the stock box with panel filter and upgraded crossover and induction hoses, and a big mouth as well, and I barely hear the X47 whistle or any intake noise for that matter. Just the roar of V8s as I accelerate past them...

Se7eN

I can tell you first hand it does whistle, it's not too loud and i can be sorted out depending on your intake. But hey what's a little noise if you're gonna make good power?

anywho, if you don't want whistle then you should just got Big Turbo

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I posted earlier about the Pumaspeed large inlet eliminating the whistle on my X47. It definitely DOES NOT eliminate the whistle. My cracked intercooler eliminated it.. Now that it’s fixed the whistle is back and louder than ever. The ITG intake amplifies it.