Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why 4th gear pull?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
4th is the closest to a 1:1 drive, so it's the most accurate for measuring actual power at the wheels. Of course, you get going quite fast doing that, so it's not really safe on public roads.

Lays

My tuner had me switch because 3rd gear was going to spin when we started turning it up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My tuner had me switch because 3rd gear was going to spin when we started turning it up.
Yup we have the same tuner. I was doing 3rd gear pulls on pump gas with my S280 and was at the bleeding edge of tire spin . I am about to start tuning for E30 and he will probably tell me to switch to 4th gear pulls as I am sure I will have tirespin in 3rd. :LOL:

Lays

Yup we have the same tuner. I was doing 3rd gear pulls on pump gas with my S280 and was at the bleeding edge of tire spin . I am about to start tuning for E30 and he will probably tell me to switch to 4th gear pulls as I am sure I will have tirespin in 3rd. :LOL:
Weird, I only experience spin in part of second gear on pump, on e40 it'll definitely light em up thru all of second and some of third, lmao!

haste

1000 Post Club
It also puts a heavier load on the engine than 3rd gear which gives better engine data for the tuner.