Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Why lugging your engine is terrible for your car" , LSPI, video from Road and Track

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A must read for those not yet aware and those that are but tend to ignore it, far more critical for turbocharged engines as well.
(Not mentioned but it would seem a bit less of an issue but still very important for a DI engine but best to be on the safe side either way)

Not the most elaborate presentation but simple and easy to understand, based on a study by Toyota/Denso Research.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30431/lugging-bad-for-engine/?mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&src=nl&date=081916

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
Make sure to watch the videos shown at the end by clicking on them, very important info.

"5 things to never do to a turbocharged car"

"What is an oil catch can" Why you should use one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, most excellent find there Rick, THANKS! [thumb]

This also brings up the question I've always had about WHERE is that very fine line between lugging and damaging over-revving a COLD engine during a driving warm up, which most seem to feel is the ONLY way to warm up your engine (vs. a potentially harmful, fuel diluting/'loading up', idle warm up)? [dunno]

The whole small, direct injected turbo, LSPI issue is exactly WHY I have brought up the 'stout', high concentration (especially the very high detergent/dispersant pack ones), add pack 'boutique oils' (Red Line, Motul 300V, etc.) possibly being harmful to turbo direct injected engines in the oil thread. [;)]
This is also one of the main reason there are low 'SAPS' (Sulfated Ash Phosphorous and Sulfur) oils in Europe, along with the low sulfur content of their fuels there.

These can leave more deposits behind IF any oil gets into the combustion chamber in any way, and be the source of those glowing pre-ignition paticles cited in the video above. (Also why he suggested the whole oil catch can, or air/oil separator thing. ;) )

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I think the best video is the 1st one but the others are pertinent as well, glad R&T sent the link to me and more of us need to consider all off this as I certainly do not know it all, nobody does of course, learning is the key to advancing in any endeavor.

I need to do an oil change soon, Napa Wix filter always used though the double size one will not fit with my new boost tube so back to stock size.

I am really busy with a ton of stuff right now so no time to read through and get up to speed on the oil to use thread so please let me know what is the best to use so I can buy or order it in.

Rick