Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Winter tire shenanigans

PunkST

2000 Post Club
IMG_20201011_174137_331.jpg
Lol its plastidip right over the crusty rusty winter wheels. I was really bored during my limited contact weekend thanks to a coworker in my plant's office bringing the covid in. ( even though i never interact with said person, im being safe)

Yes it has overspray, it'll come off eventually.

View attachment 35153
Lol its plastidip right over the crusty rusty winter wheels. I was really bored during my limited contact weekend thanks to a coworker in my plant's office bringing the covid in. ( even though i never interact with said person, im being safe)

Yes it has overspray, it'll come off eventually.
This makes me want to do something like stencil the rpf 1 pattern onto my steelies. Lol

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
This makes me want to do something like stencil the rpf 1 pattern onto my steelies. Lol

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
May as well. They are boring steelies otherwise. Its all in fun anyhow.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Bit early for Winter tires here. I usually wait until the last week or day when it's forecasted. Hopefully will get at least another Winter through early-Spring out of my Continentals. Where are you posting from? Also, whatcha ride'n? Based on the headlamp, I'd guess an older model Honda?

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Northeast wisconsin.
And that is an 88 vtr250. Which im having a bear of a time finding parts for. It needs a full service, and valve lash adjustment. And to get plated for me to ride it legal. So far it just terrorizes my yard. Lol

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Indeed. Neon-cheese colored Wisconsin wheels. 😉
1602557605465.png

There's an "A" and an "AC"... maybe the 'C' is the Cali model?
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle_1988/parts
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053e3abf870021c54be1fc5/1988-vtr250-a-parts

You won't find commonly wearable items like brake pads or valve caps on that site. But most everything else they have.

But it being an 88 with a carburetor, probably going to be too much trouble. Just for shts though, looking at tires (expensive), valve lash caps (cheap), brake pads (cheap), oil (cheapish). Possible items are chain, sprockets, anything rubber on the engine, fuel tank/pump/filter/carburetor-jet if bike wasn't prepped for long-term storage.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Correct. Cali models had an evaporative canister not used on 49 state models.

That was true on my '88, too. Single cylinder, dual exhaust. Looked so cool.

NX 650 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Id have to look at the vin to see if its a cali model... It runs ok. Just needs a good thorough service over this winter. ( i usually store it inside my house where the temp stays even. Lol).

SPhilli911

This is what happened after 5 years of using steel wheels in the winters of Connecticut. The state drops chemicals on the roads that destroys cars. :mad:

I ended up leaving my steel wheels and winter tires on the curb so someone would take them and I picked up 15" Sparco Terra wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is what happened after 5 years of using steel wheels in the winters of Connecticut. The state drops chemicals on the roads that destroys cars. :mad:

I ended up leaving my steel wheels and winter tires on the curb so someone would take them and I picked up 15" Sparco Terra wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires:
That's why I won't use steelies at all.

Even though most view them as 'disposable' if they get bent, out of round, or rusted out, they cost at least half of what you can get some inexpensive alloys for even new (let alone used/Craig's list, etc.).

Even though the car will not handle very well with winter tires on it (although the Altimax Arctic 12s (195/60-15s on 15x7 Method MR501VTs), when pumped up with lots of pressure do impress me on dry pavement for an actual winter tire [driving]), I still want it to at least look decent even in the winter, or when working rallies. [wink]

SPhilli911

That's why I won't use steelies at all.

Even though most view them as 'disposable' if they get bent, out of round, or rusted out, they cost at least half of what you can get some inexpensive alloys for even new (let alone used/Craig's list, etc.).

Even though the car will not handle very well with winter tires on it (although the Altimax Arctic 12s (195/60-15s on 15x7 Method MR501VTs), when pumped up with lots of pressure do impress me on dry pavement for an actual winter tire [driving]), I still want it to at least look decent even in the winter, or when working rallies. [wink]
I will never do steelies again, lesson learned for cheaping out on winter stuff. Honesty can't remember why I decided on steel wheels to begin with, the Sparcos I ended up getting were barely more expensive and will look a hell of a lot better. Hell, I am thinking of getting another set of the Sparco Terras for the rest of the year, too.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Honestly thats not terrible. Some time with a wire wheel and pb blaster will clean that up. Ive seen worse rolling around.

I picked up these focus alloys, 16x6 for $50. I bought it from an old retired ford mechanic. Amazing deals do come up, although rare, but I consider this to be one of the best deals I ever got on fb marketplace/ craigslist etc. They're currently wrapped in some sumitomo htr as po2 tires. Excited to see how they'll do this season. I barely had enough ride time on them last season due to covid bringing the snowboarding season to an early close. Hopefully this year will be better. However, in the little time I had on this setup, the sumitomo do excellent in snow traction and just driving around is a blast but the stopping ability in snow, is the biggest downfall to these tires.. They're m+s rated but they don't have a snowflake symbol. But in BC the minimal requirements for a winter tire are m+s.

76967173_218384472494037_7167375387632279062_n.jpg 77077820_155610295724635_1057049495934342303_n(1).jpg

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Honestly thats not terrible. Some time with a wire wheel and pb blaster will clean that up. Ive seen worse rolling around.
The wheels themselves actually don't look bad at all. The end of the axle shaft sticking through it, is another story though.

It would be soooooooooo nice, to be able to buy a FiST that wouldn't rust out though; even if it cost 50% more up front. Rust proofing gets seriously mixed reviews and never know who/what to believe. It comes down to not just the paint, but the quality of the metal beneath it.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Or find a dust cap off an older car that will fit.