Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

WinterContact Driving Trainings

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Was it sponsored by Conti??

Just trying to figure out WHY they call it that, and spell/state it exactly the same way that Conti does for their winter tires. [???:)]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Was it sponsored by Conti??

Just trying to figure out WHY they call it that, and spell/state it exactly the same way that Conti does for their winter tires. [???:)]
A little ironic that training events based around traction loss, would be named after such fantastically grippy street tires. I've had a set of WInterContact tires since 2016. Never a lick of trouble out of'em. Even had to use them temporarily during a warmer month. (which is potentially dangerous as they're not engineered for it) Even in a well worn state, they were better on the snow than a new set of Cooper RS-3 All Season tires. Recently acquired a set of their ExtremeContact all seasons earlier this year. This has also been a great tire so far. But they're wearing quick. Are curious about their potential for Winter performance. Should be finding out later as the Winter wears on through Jan, Feb, March and April.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am also considering the DWS06es as my next daily driver tire, along with the BFG g force Comp 2 A/S plus.

@tbaszi95; were any of the participants actually on the Conti WinterContact tires, seeking to find the ultimate dry limits of those donuts?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Read somewhere awhile back that the XL means eXtra Load. (presumably means stiffer sidewall and carcass)
This designation was aimed at SUVs or just vehicles that are much heavier than sedans and especially our vehicles.
I think the XL is beneficial given the extra sidewall that I have in the 215/45R17 size.
It is a heavier tire and will feel it, but with prior tires all it did was spin anyway.
It's a good match.

The WinterContact are fantastic on snow but too soft for a lot of tom foolery on the streets. It will slide but predictably so.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, that is why I always seek out XL rated tires, if at all possible in any given size.

Most especially for my winter/rally stage working setup, given the stronger side walls resistance to pinch flats/blowouts, and possibly even cutting from scraping against rocks on stage roads.

NOT a super thick, heavily reinforced, ribbed side wall like on the actual gravel rally competition tires, but the next best 'streetable', lasting for more than their 2K mile lifespan, affordable option for just bouncing down the gravel stages at less than half rally speeds. [wink]

I am also considering the DWS06es as my next daily driver tire, along with the BFG g force Comp 2 A/S plus.

@tbaszi95; were any of the participants actually on the Conti WinterContact tires, seeking to find the ultimate dry limits of those donuts?
Just finished a set of g Force Comp 2 A/S tires in 205/45ZR17/XL 88W size. They lasted me 38 197 km and when I changed to my winters this season, the front two were done done. Bought them in late July 2018. I liked them, they had good grip, no stress with driving in the rain, but they were quite noisy on the highway. Only lasted 23.7k miles too (5 summers), and I'm not driving around like a maniac either, 95% highway driving and commuting. I will be getting a set of DW06+ this time around. Hopefully, they will be less noisy and a bit more compliant over bumps.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
A little ironic that training events based around traction loss, would be named after such fantastically grippy street tires. I've had a set of WInterContact tires since 2016. Never a lick of trouble out of'em. Even had to use them temporarily during a warmer month. (which is potentially dangerous as they're not engineered for it) Even in a well worn state, they were better on the snow than a new set of Cooper RS-3 All Season tires. Recently acquired a set of their ExtremeContact all seasons earlier this year. This has also been a great tire so far. But they're wearing quick. Are curious about their potential for Winter performance. Should be finding out later as the Winter wears on through Jan, Feb, March and April.
It was a Continental event and training which used for road safety promotion with the hungarian police. So Continental used the WinterContact for marketing purpose.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10

I used Uniroyal tires on these events. So the Continental tires weren't necessary or mandatory.