Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Won't start, won't crank

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
So, the car has been sitting for quite sometime, what with the coronavirus and all...

I did drive it a couple of weeks back, and the batter was on the weak side, but it started without too much trouble.

Today - clicked a few times and that was it. The battery is 5 years old, so I figure - might as well. Bought a Group 96R AGM one from Advanced Autoparts. Put it in - and, bupkes, won't click even... [werd]
The dash lights up, the battery shows 12.6V - but, this time no cranking at all...

Starter? Or is there a switch that we have that goes bad? I know that 2014s (with actual key) sometimes had this issue - don't know if we have something along these lines in the steering column (not likely).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
So, the car has been sitting for quite sometime, what with the coronavirus and all...

I did drive it a couple of weeks back, and the batter was on the weak side, but it started without too much trouble.

Today - clicked a few times and that was it. The battery is 5 years old, so I figure - might as well. Bought a Group 96R AGM one from Advanced Autoparts. Put it in - and, bupkes. [werd]
The dash lights up, the battery shows 12.6V - but, this time no cranking at all...

Starter? Or is there a switch that we have that goes bad? I know that 2014s (with actual key) sometimes had this issue - don't know if we have something along these lines in the steering column (not likely).

Thoughts?
Answering my own question... It is a relay in the fuse box. There are two of them that are the same, and swapping the second one in started the car.
There is also a 7.5 amp fuse that can be bad. The YTers are quite helpful:

The relay can be had here: https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Function-Relay-8T2T-14B192-AA-F-250-SUPER/dp/B081W4BBLN (says for F150 but the part number is the same).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocEfFUO4h64

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Glad you got your problem fixed. when you initially said you had a click / no start issue, my first thought was that it was a starter, that's usually what a starter going bad does.
I've seen other videos by that guy, he is quite helpful.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Glad you got your problem fixed. when you initially said you had a click / no start issue, my first thought was that it was a starter, that's usually what a starter going bad does.
I've seen other videos by that guy, he is quite helpful.
I should have been more accurate with my description - after the new battery went in, the was no sound at all - no clicking, nothing. Just the dashboard would light up.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
So the Relay was your problem or the 7.5 fuse?
The relay, natch. First I replaced the fuse, and that didn't produce any results. Swapping in the other relay (I wonder what that one does, considering that it is identical to the one that caused the trouble) started the car. Amazon is delivering the new one tomorrow; all of $11.