Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Worn passenger side motor mount?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Wondering if my catback banging against the tunnel while engine braking, or shifting gears, or big bumps. Could be a symptom that the mount is worn. I have an upgraded rear mount, and stock upper mounts. Its at 83k currently. All my hangars are still connected.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
It is possible. See how hard it is to move the engine by hand. You can also expose the joint (following the procedure to replace it) and look at it. The bolt that runs thru it has also been known to break.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
What type of hangers? I had issues with my catback banging till I went with a longer rear hanger from kartboy for an sti.It helped make rear section sit little lower and also get exhaust tips off rear bumper.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
3 cobb and 1 stocker near the front. It always mildly bumped around. ( thinking of replacing them all with mountune polys) but its gotten really noticeably bad.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
The front OEM hanger is the weakest of the bunch. I'd definitely start there. One of the three OEM hangers that you replaced could solve the issue because they're more solid than the front one (at least that was the case on my '17)

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
3 cobb and 1 stocker near the front. It always mildly bumped around. ( thinking of replacing them all with mountune polys) but its gotten really noticeably bad.

Try using an 12mm kartboy xl hanger. Can get off eBay for
Little over 10 bucks. Try using it on very back hanger to give exhaust little more room. Stock hangers are 10mm so this will fit slightly looser but can use a collar if needed or a large zip tie to hold from going side to
Side. I used a zip tie and works perfect. I was ready to put stock cat back on but this solved any noises.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
^ ill try both of those suggestions out. I can see the stock front hanger being crap already as its got an engine and the whole weight of the exhaust to resist.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Wondering if my catback banging against the tunnel while engine braking, or shifting gears, or big bumps. Could be a symptom that the mount is worn. I have an upgraded rear mount, and stock upper mounts. Its at 83k currently. All my hangars are still connected.
if your mounts are worn and need an upgrade the Vibra-Technics side mounts have been extremely popular. Durable and the "Fast Road" formula does not make the car feel like you have solid side mounts.
as for the exhaust hangers, we don't suggest replacing the downpipe hanger from OEM unless you have a stiff rear motor mount due to the amount of engine movement
replacing the other 3 shouldn't be an issue even if you use the Cobb/Torque Solution brand
We personally prefer using Powerflex on all 4 hangers under the Fiesta including the downpipe because the Powerflex hangers are not soft like stock but also not rock hard either. Perfect middle of the road solution for your exhaust.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I do have a mountune rear mount ron. And ill be checking out those items and potentially making an order this weekend.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Probably feels about the same.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I feel that a purpose built stiffer mount is better than a mount that is modified to be stiffer. I went with the Vibra-Technics for this reason.