Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would love some opinions on a potential FiST

Hey guys -

Might be joining the owners' club soon. Found an 2016 FiST ST3 local to me. 46k miles, guy is asking $11k.

He seems to be an honest guy - 2nd owner. Car has a COBB catback and Bilstein shocks with Mountone springs, otherwise stock. When I asked him about previous mods, he said he did have a COBB intake and Whoosh intercooler and he ran it tuned on a custom JST tune for a year before going back to mostly stock and selling the AP.

I asked about oil consumption and he said that at the end of the 6k oil change interval, the oil is usually a bit lower on the dipstick, somewhere between 1/2 full and full.

What do you guys think? Good deal or stay away? Is there a "normal" range of oil consumption for these cars? Would the previous mods / tune be a deal breaker?

Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
These cars are not known to be oil consumers at all, and this is the first time I am hearing about this ever, including nothing about this even from very high power output/huge turbo setups which might be more prone to burn a little oil. [dunno]

Granted, mine only has ~30K miles on it, I don't open track it at all, and the oil gets changed between 3000 and 4000 miles every time, but it does not burn a drop at the end of those intervals.

Maybe he was using mineral based oil (like not even semi-synthetic) which is more volatile than a good full synthetic, or maybe he did not break it in properly in the first 5K miles (although some would claim that this is BS, and there is NO such thing as 'breaking in' a modern engine). [???:)]

OP
speedyspaghetti
Thread Starter #3
These cars are not known to be oil consumers at all, and this is the first time I am hearing about this ever, including nothing about this even from very high power output/huge turbo setups which might be more prone to burn a little oil. [dunno]

Granted, mine only has ~30K miles on it, I don't open track it at all, and the oil gets changed between 3000 and 4000 miles every time, but it does not burn a drop at the end of those intervals.

Maybe he was using mineral based oil (like not even semi-synthetic) which is more volatile than a good full synthetic, or maybe he did not break it in properly in the first 5K miles (although some would claim that this is BS, and there is NO such thing as 'breaking in' a modern engine). [???:)]
He says he does full-synthetic every 6k miles. Yeah I was a little stumped by that too - I mean I guess it could just be improper reading of the dipstick, but they really shouldn't be losing any oil, right?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My '17 is almost at 40k and I haven't noticed any oil consumption (other than the small amount collected in the catch can). I have only used synthetics (Mobil 1 and Red Line) and recently switched to 5/30.

I'd wonder if it's leaking or burning. Check the drain plug; it may just need a fresh crush washer.

The dipstick is hard to read, so it could be nothing.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So maybe 2 cups of oil in 6,000 miles yeah that is fine. Also the dipstick is hard to read. No vehicle manufacturer on the planet would consider two cups of oil in 6,000 mi oil consumption.
I must drive harder than everyone. Every vehicle I own gets some oil in between oil changes I like to keep it full though.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
speedyspaghetti
Thread Starter #6
Ok, that definitely calms my nerves. Thanks everyone. 2nd question is more about the mods - should I be concerned about buying a FiST that was tuned for a year with an intake + intercooler on a custom tune? He does have a photo with him at the Laguna Seca track in the car so it does seem like he tracked it at least once.

At least they seem to be up front about what they have done. I'd be more concerned if they simply said they never tuned or tracked whatever....I added an AP and bolt on parts to help enhance the performance of mine, I am probably pretty tame compared to some people and most of the time I baby it...BUT.... I do beat it up sometimes, so of course it's only my opinion but when a car has been tuned you might want to assume that at the least it has been treated the same.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What is the built date? In 2016 there was a change in suspension. The change happened in mid February so it would be interesting to know what the build date is.

OP
speedyspaghetti
Thread Starter #9
At least they seem to be up front about what they have done. I'd be more concerned if they simply said they never tuned or tracked whatever....I added an AP and bolt on parts to help enhance the performance of mine, I am probably pretty tame compared to some people and most of the time I baby it...BUT.... I do beat it up sometimes, so of course it's only my opinion but when a car has been tuned you might want to assume that at the least it has been treated the same.
Yeah the guy said he's 42 and used to be a BMW mechanic, so at the very least it doesn't seem like a car a teenager ragged on, but the tracking/modding does worry me a little bit. It does however seem like these cars are pretty reliable even tuned so maybe it's not a bit deal. 46k miles is pretty low all things considered and the price is a bit lower than KBB (although KBB is a scam, don't get me started on that)

OP
speedyspaghetti
Thread Starter #10
What is the built date? In 2016 there was a change in suspension. The change happened in mid February so it would be interesting to know what the build date is.

If its a 2016 model, wouldn't the build date be somewhere in 2015? I'll ask him for the vin though so I can check the vin date. The suspension (at least the struts/shocks) is aftermarket though.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The suspension change also included a stiffer rear torsion beam, and a thicker sway bar.