Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Year 2 owning a FieST in California... CARB sucks. New to the forum!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You could probably run a ST200 intake box without issue since it looks exactly like the stock box with a second inlet near the foglight. I doubt they'd ever notice it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Even if they did, it's an OEM part so I don't think they could do much about it. Hell, Mountune's MP215 intake and tune are CARB compliant for the 2013-2016 FiST and that's essentially the same intake but with an aluminum bottom.

OP
GingerST

GingerST

Thread Starter #7
You could probably run a ST200 intake box without issue since it looks exactly like the stock box with a second inlet near the foglight. I doubt they'd ever notice it.

I bet your right, I should look into that since I've been wanting an intake with a little more flow. How is that model on induction noise?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I bet your right, I should look into that since I've been wanting an intake with a little more flow. How is that model on induction noise?
Slightly more than stock but hardly noticeable. Whoosh sells those boxes. Used ones come up for sale on the forums from time to time too. I thought someone recently listed one for sale.

im running the ST200 box and it makes everything more noticeable than stock, especially with the induction + crossover upgrade.

And welcome!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Slightly more than stock but hardly noticeable. Whoosh sells those boxes. Used ones come up for sale on the forums from time to time too. I thought someone recently listed one for sale.

When I swapped out the factory air box for the ST200, I started hearing the GFB Diverter Valve, (albeit NOT all of the time, and it is muted when I do hear it), whereas with the factory unit, it was dead silent (this is with BOTH using the thick factory Motorcraft paper filter, BTW), if that is any indication.

This is with all other intake piping pure factory stock.

But still far far quieter than any of the noises a 2J Racing, ITG, or any of the other 'open element' systems would produce. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
When I swapped out the factory air box for the ST200, I started hearing the GFB Diverter Valve, (albeit NOT all of the time, and it is muted when I do hear it), whereas with the factory unit, it was dead silent (this is with BOTH using the thick factory Motorcraft paper filter, BTW), if that is any indication.

This is with all other intake piping pure factory stock.

But still far far quieter than any of the noises a 2J Racing, ITG, or any of the other 'open element' systems would produce. [wink]
with crossover pipe and intake tube and j pipe and ST200 airbox my stock factory bpv sounded like an aftermarket i.e you could hear it let off.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
with crossover pipe and intake tube and j pipe and ST200 airbox my stock factory bpv sounded like an aftermarket i.e you could hear it let off.
I have an as of yet uninstalled Mountune j-pipe and charge hose system I will install when I install my CP-E intercooler.
I suspect that I will hear slightly more DV sounds when that happens. [wink]

Even if I ever go to an S280, I plan on retaining the factory intake piping and crossover, for the mentioned in another thread heat soak issues as well as a factory stock 'stealth' appearance under the hood.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have an as of yet uninstalled Mountune j-pipe and charge hose system I will install when I install my CP-E intercooler.
I suspect that I will hear slightly more DV sounds when that happens. [wink]

Even if I ever go to an S280, I plan on retaining the factory intake piping and crossover, for the above mentioned heat soak issues as well as a factory stock 'stealth' appearance under the hood.
Iā€™ll have a S284 kit for sale soon

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
CARB does not suck. I lived in LA in the 80's.
I lived there again in the 2000's.
Even though there were more people, driving more cars, the air quality never made me blow black snot into a Kleenex like it did in the 80's.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Even though there were more people, driving more cars, the air quality never made me blow black snot into a Kleenex like it did in the 80's.
Some people will never understand. They only think about themselves.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Welcome!

Ive been running open element filters (currently running and old school HKS foam pod filter) for extra noise fir a few years now. I kept my factory air box just in case though.

Also been running an aftermarket tune with backfires for years, never had an issue. Cops dont care much as long as I don't drive like an a$$hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I think CARB started with some great intentions but got lost along the way. Make sure people's cars aren't barfing soot? Great! Make sure everyone has a catalytic converter? Awesome! Ticket someone because their Cobb intake was approved for 2016, but not 2017? That's ridiculous. Just bring back the sniffer tests and get rid of the visual bullshit other than verifying catalysts are intact and there's no diverting of harmful gases, but failing smog because an OEM rubber hose was replaced with an aftermarket silicone/metal one? That's pretty nitpicky.

Full disclosure - in my youth I did my fair share of disreputable things that weren't great for the environment, but I got better as I got smarter.