Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Yellow is the new Orange for Coolant

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Good to know! As I had mistakenly topped off my FiSTeroo with the Gold after my BT install! [ridinghorse]

I picked up 2 containers of coolant from the dealer last week and was told the same and what I got was the new yellow. I assumed the replacement order was from a while ago and didn't bother posting about it.

Glad to see the official info bulletin that also addresses the mixing of the 2. Thanks!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thanks for posting this, it's really helpful. It's especially helpful to have the documentation, because I would have also been suspicious of this if the dealer told me that, I would have thought that they were making a mistake. It's also good to know that you can top up with the new fluid, and that you don't have to flush the system before you drain and refill with the new yellow coolant.
Do you know why they switched from orange to yellow, and what, if anything, is supposed to be better about the new yellow coolant?

Last edited:
OP
mattw
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for posting this, it's really helpful. It's especially helpful to have the documentation, because I would have also been suspicious of this if the dealer told me that, I would have thought that they were making a mistake. It's also good to know that you can top up with the new fluid, and that you don't have to flush the system before you drain and refill with the new yellow coolant.
Do you know why they switched from orange to yellow, and what, if anything, is supposed to be better about the new yellow coolant?
No problem. The dealer told my buddy that he needed to get as much orange out as possible, but also told him Manual transmission fluid was fine to use (btw it isn't our cars use DCT fluid), so i don't trust what this dealer said at all.

I don't have any further detail beyond the document I linked, sorry :( . I found that document after doing a bit of searching, and it appears to be legit to me so I wanted to share. I was also sorta hoping we might have someone who is in the industry on the forum that could comment further on the change. (I am not sure who this would be)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No problem. The dealer told my buddy that he needed to get as much orange out as possible, but also told him Manual transmission fluid was fine to use (btw it isn't our cars use DCT fluid), so i don't trust what this dealer said at all.

I don't have any further detail beyond the document I linked, sorry :( . I found that document after doing a bit of searching, and it appears to be legit to me so I wanted to share. I was also sorta hoping we might have someone who is in the industry on the forum that could comment further on the change. (I am not sure who this would be)
I READ Specifications on the back of fluid bottles. If it meets ferd spec for the FiST its fine with me . I TRUST THE DEALER as much as I trust their quality of their PAINT .

I have 3/4 gallon of orange that I have used to top off at home. Can I buy a gallon of yellow and use both or do I need to buy 2 gallons of yellow for a coolant replacement?

OP
mattw
Thread Starter #13
I have 3/4 gallon of orange that I have used to top off at home. Can I buy a gallon of yellow and use both or do I need to buy 2 gallons of yellow for a coolant replacement?
According to the Motorcraft document. (I haven't seen anyone tell me it is a fake document yet :LOL:)

"Topping off, Draining and Refilling:
  • Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant can be used to top-off or entirely replace (drain and refill) antifreeze/coolant in vehicles factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant."
So you should be good to use either orange or yellow in the car, and sounds like they can be mixed.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I topped Mine of with Yellow by mistake after my Turbo install....Whoops...was like whatever...wasn't even like 3/4 of a quart...No issues 20k later!