Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

16" Rally Wheels?

So my build is Rally themed, and I'm gonna get some new rims whenever I get new tires. When doing that I want to drop down to a 16" wheel because its more rally car. I have a Magnetic FiST, so I'd prefer black rims- maybe white if it looked good but I haven't seen anybody with white on magnetic.

So far I've looked at these rims and have some problems with them:
OZ Leggenda- these are my prefered wheel but they only have them in 17"
Sparco Terra- Only in grey so thats meh to me
OZ Superturismo GT/WRC- Look cool but they don't have black in the US for our cars, and they're kinda heavy
Team Dynamics Rally wheel- only in 15"

Anyone know of any other rally style wheels or is this what I'm stuck with?

I'd go Sparco Terra or TD pro race 1.2
the TD pro rally wheels are only 6.5" wide I believe:(

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #5
If they made them in black id be on them like white on rice, and TBH unless I can get the Superturismos special ordered in black for a decent price I'll probably go with them. I just wish they came in black, I don't want to plastidip and powdercoating just seems like too much of a hassle. I'm not going to be swapping wheels until my treads are gone, so maybe something will come out between now and then.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
LSPR 2013 028 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Team ONeil Rally School 149 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

OZ makes these for MSport with 4x108 bolt pattern for the Fiesta R1 rally car. When starting a rallyish looking ST, think about if you want it to look like it is in tarmac or gravel trim. Wheels for gravel have very small openings to limit the amount of rocks and debris from entering the wheels. Tarmac wheels are larger in diameter, have smaller sidewall tires, and are more open for brake cooling. Take a look for Fiesta R2 rally cars and you can get a good idea of the wheels used for gravel and tarmac.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #7
OZ makes these for MSport with 4x108 bolt pattern for the Fiesta R1 rally car. When starting a rallyish looking ST, think about if you want it to look like it is in tarmac or gravel trim. Wheels for gravel have very small openings to limit the amount of rocks and debris from entering the wheels. Tarmac wheels are larger in diameter, have smaller sidewall tires, and are more open for brake cooling. Take a look for Fiesta R2 rally cars and you can get a good idea of the wheels used for gravel and tarmac.

Ideally I would get those wheels, the actually rally car ones but I don't think OZ sells them to the public, and I'm sure they would cost a pretty penny. I'd love the OZ Leggenda but I want to drop down to a 16" rim size and I think dropping to 15" for the team dynamics is just a bit much.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ideally I would get those wheels, the actually rally car ones but I don't think OZ sells them to the public, and I'm sure they would cost a pretty penny. I'd love the OZ Leggenda but I want to drop down to a 16" rim size and I think dropping to 15" for the team dynamics is just a bit much.
I know they are not selling the Leggendas to real, competitive, rally crews, but still, THAT style wheel is ONLY used for gravel (for the most part), and ONLY in a 15" diameter, so why OZed insists on selling them in a 17" exclusively, is beyond me. [???:)]

When watching the ERC tarmac rallies on you tube last night, the Ford Turkish Rally Team R2 Fiestas look for all the world to be running on Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3s with Pirelli tarmac donuts on them with a tread pattern very similar to the Trofeos, but who knows what they actually are (Speedlines, Dymags, real tarmac Superturismos without OZed labels, something else??). [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
LSPR 2013 028 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Team ONeil Rally School 149 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Is that at the Lake Superior Pro Rally (formerly known as the "Press On Regardless" Pro Rally), or is that a divisional event in that pic?

Also, I wish that Rally America could bring our national classes more in line with (if not EXACTLY the same as) the FIA worldwide rules.

Like, WHY NOT R1/R2 instead of G5? [???:)]

I know they were in the past, trying to keep the crazy co$tly sequentials from giving only the wealthy, or well sponsored competitors an unfair advantage, but they are now allowed anyway, correct?

I guess the fear of having 10-15 crew fields overtakes being in line with the rest of the world? [dunno]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yes, the top pic is from LSPR 2013 when my brother and I were on the service crew for Team O'Neil;

[video=youtube;QnazRrUkHpg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnazRrUkHpg[/video]

At LSPR, all the Fiesta's running in the 2013 were R2 spec cars, except for Block's WRCish car. The R2 cars had the NA 1.6L and sequential gearboxes. They are now running the 1.0L for both R1 and R2.

I believe all of the R1 and R2 Fiesta's from MSport use OZ wheels. R2 are 5-lug and the R1 is 4.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^So IF that R2 Turkish Ford European Rally Team was supported by M-Sport (and it seemed like they were from the looks of the service crews, except that they were wearing OMP branded uniforms/coveralls, whereas I thought that M-Sport used Sparco EXCLUSIVELY for everyone/everything?), those were OZed tarmac wheels, sans logos??

Those R2 Fiestas I watched were 1.0 turbo, not 1.6 turbos?? [???:)]

ALL THE MORE IMPRESSIVE for their pace on those tarmac stages!! [crazyeye] [driving] [twothumb] [raceflag]

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #13
So whats everyones thoughts on 15' wheels, I might look into the Team Dynamics Rally Wheels, I know my ride will improve but does this have any other benefits? Would I be better off at AutoX, or just faster with a 15' rim compared to a 16' rim? and how wide can I get my wheels on stock everything? Is 15x8 too wide?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
^^^So IF that R2 Turkish Ford European Rally Team was supported by M-Sport (and it seemed like they were from the looks of the service crews, except that they were wearing OMP branded uniforms/coveralls, whereas I thought that M-Sport used Sparco EXCLUSIVELY for everyone/everything?), those were OZed tarmac wheels, sans logos??

Those R2 Fiestas I watched were 1.0 turbo, not 1.6 turbos?? [???:)]

ALL THE MORE IMPRESSIVE for their pace on those tarmac stages!! [crazyeye] [driving] [twothumb] [raceflag]
The R2's are either normally aspirated 1.6L if they are pre 2015 and 1.0L turbo if newer. I have seen gravel wheels with logos without logos with some logos or anything in between. All of the R1 and R2 cars are customer cars, actually I think everything but the MSport Fiesta RS WRC cars with the MSport livery are customer cars. The service crews would be from the customer team and not from MSport.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
So whats everyones thoughts on 15' wheels, I might look into the Team Dynamics Rally Wheels, I know my ride will improve but does this have any other benefits? Would I be better off at AutoX, or just faster with a 15' rim compared to a 16' rim? and how wide can I get my wheels on stock everything? Is 15x8 too wide?
a 15" wheel with a lightweight and stiff side-wall tire would be better in autocrossing than a larger wheel due to the reduction in mass. Going smaller in tire diameter would also help. The trouble is going smaller on the wheel is the sidewall gets taller. A taller sidewall takes more time to react to the turning of the wheel. The more time is indicated by a "sluggish" or non precise turn-in. I had run a 15" wheel with BFG race tire on my Focus. The sidewall was crazy stiff and it was terrible on the street during the one time I left an autocross to grab lunch down the street. Most people I see running a 15" wheel for autocrossing have them with very short sidewall, low profile tires. If you look at production rally cars running on tarmac, they have smaller diameter wheels with low profile tires. WRC type rally cars run huge wheels on tarmac because they run much larger brakes on tarmac than gravel. Gravel cars have smaller wheels with tall sidewalls to protect the wheels from impact. Tarmac cars have larger wheels for brakes or smaller wheels with low profile tires if they are not increasing brake size. As I mentioned earlier, decide what rally look you are going for. Living in Michigan, I get to run a tarmac look in the summer and gravel look in the winter.

2015 Fiesta ST Spring Cleaning by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #16
a 15" wheel with a lightweight and stiff side-wall tire would be better in autocrossing than a larger wheel due to the reduction in mass. Going smaller in tire diameter would also help. The trouble is going smaller on the wheel is the sidewall gets taller. A taller sidewall takes more time to react to the turning of the wheel. The more time is indicated by a "sluggish" or non precise turn-in. I had run a 15" wheel with BFG race tire on my Focus. The sidewall was crazy stiff and it was terrible on the street during the one time I left an autocross to grab lunch down the street. Most people I see running a 15" wheel for autocrossing have them with very short sidewall, low profile tires. If you look at production rally cars running on tarmac, they have smaller diameter wheels with low profile tires. WRC type rally cars run huge wheels on tarmac because they run much larger brakes on tarmac than gravel. Gravel cars have smaller wheels with tall sidewalls to protect the wheels from impact. Tarmac cars have larger wheels for brakes or smaller wheels with low profile tires if they are not increasing brake size. As I mentioned earlier, decide what rally look you are going for. Living in Michigan, I get to run a tarmac look in the summer and gravel look in the winter.

2015 Fiesta ST Spring Cleaning by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr
I really appreciate your help, but all I can see in those two pictures is that absolutely drop dead sexy stripe.

...But I do think I'm going to stick to a 16, I'm just going to have to find something I like. I just wish Sparco would give me the Terras in black, maybe white. I've also been thinking about the TD Pro Race 1.2/3

I'm running TD 15x8s on my fist and I love it! I don't really notice any sort of downside. My wheel and tire combo is considerably lighter than stock and the ride is much improved. Many here on the forum are running 15s and are very happy.
Untitled by seanbonham69, on Flickr
Untitled by seanbonham69, on Flickr

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I really appreciate your help, but all I can see in those two pictures is that absolutely drop dead sexy stripe.

...But I do think I'm going to stick to a 16, I'm just going to have to find something I like. I just wish Sparco would give me the Terras in black, maybe white. I've also been thinking about the TD Pro Race 1.2/3
Ha, thanks. Rekliener vinyl graphics can make a similar stripe in any color combination. I designed it specifically for the Fiesta and Rekliener does the cutting.

16" is a good compromise size.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WRC type rally cars run huge wheels on tarmac because they run much larger brakes on tarmac than gravel.
...and yet, there are STILL many on here who would question why they are running 18" diameter wheels on them, even if those wheels are forged magnesium 18x8s, which make even their lightest 15x8s/15x9s seem obese by comparison! LOL

I am personally thinking of running the 16" 1.2s, but, being ONLY available in a 7" width (GET WITH IT Rimstock!! [mad]), and wanting to run a 215/45-16 on them, most will tell me they are way too narrow a wheel for that tire, even for exclusively dedicated street use. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The R2's are either normally aspirated 1.6L if they are pre 2015 and 1.0L turbo if newer. I have seen gravel wheels with logos without logos with some logos or anything in between. All of the R1 and R2 cars are customer cars, actually I think everything but the MSport Fiesta RS WRC cars with the MSport livery are customer cars. The service crews would be from the customer team and not from MSport.
The bolded above I knew, except that I thought that Tanak's D Mack sponsored/liveried car is still technically an M-Sport listed/run deal, but I guess it is really just a customer car?? [dunno]

The last sentence above I was not sure of, since I thought that Mr. Wilson 'loaned out' or sub-contracted service crews for some of the larger customer car teams competing in major (sub WRC level) championships.