Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why 3rd gear dyno?

What's up everyone! So it seems to me that most people who get big numbers out of their ST's are dynoing in 3rd gear. My question is, why? Isn't 4th gear the 1:1 in our cars? Or is there something I'm missing? School me please!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You want to do 110-120 on the street? Granted that's not the only reason for 3rd gear logging. It can be done in 4th, but it's not needed. 3rd gear provides enough load throughout the entire rpm range for the tuner to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Was just gonna say this. Hard enough to do 90mph(typical redline speed on my tire/wheel set up) never mind 120. When I've tuned on an actual dyno it's typically done in fourth

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I completely understand street tuning in third gear as I've been there myself with my Honda. I was more referring to on a dyno, with numbers being posted. What I mean by that is, you could have lesser mods and dyno in 3rd, making the same numbers as someone with greater mods dynoing in 4th. Unless I'm missing something!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I completely understand street tuning in third gear as I've been there myself with my Honda. I was more referring to on a dyno, with numbers being posted. What I mean by that is, you could have lesser mods and dyno in 3rd, making the same numbers as someone with greater mods dynoing in 4th. Unless I'm missing something!
Who's dynoing in 3rd gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
Well, I was looking at the dyno graphs in the cyborg turbo thread and unless I misread them, it said 3rd gear. So I got to thinking, if you're looking to show power increase over stock, shouldn't you be running in 4th? But aside from that I've seen miscilanious videos on YouTube of people in 3rd as well and it just made me wonder. That's all!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Well, I was looking at the dyno graphs in the cyborg turbo thread and unless I misread them, it said 3rd gear. So I got to thinking, if you're looking to show power increase over stock, shouldn't you be running in 4th? But aside from that I've seen miscilanious videos on YouTube of people in 3rd as well and it just made me wonder. That's all!
I believe you're referring to vDyno, aka Virtual Dyno. It calculates WHP and WTQ by utilizing the cars rate of acceleration over time, gear ratios, tire size, and drag coefficient. It will also display boost and AFR. vDyno takes the gear you've used into account when calculating outputs. This is a user input, and I'd hope everyone was genuine enough to select the right gear...although, it would be very obvious if they hadn't.