Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3rd Gear Feels....Rough

So I'm not sure how to describe this other than my title, sometimes third gear just feels rough. Especially when the car is not up to temperature, sometimes going into 3rd feels like a fight. I will admit if I grind a gear its usually 3rd, but that maybe happens once or so a month when I'm feeling lazy, or so I think. Every time I've grinded it, its after a spirited pull in second and I think I have the clutch all the way in, but apparently the transmission doesn't and sometimes it just wont take 3rd.

I'm not really sure what It could be, I'm going to do transmission bushings soon, and probably change the transmission fluid. But the car only has 7k, and I assume its more user error, but it seems to only be 3rd that will grind on me, sometimes second but not usually. I'm sure I'm just missing it more than anything but it happened this morning and now I'm worried. kinda. This isn't my first manual car and I take care of it. Just wondering why sometimes 3rd feel like its hard to shift into. Is this worth taking to the ford dealership for them to tell me they wont do anything? Is it normal, do I even need to worry?

Well... 3rd is smooth (the fiesta is probably the only car I didnt grind gears on), 1 once or so a month is frequently grinding if you ask me... so how long did you have this car for that 7k miles?

Dont be lazy, do not grind gears.
I would change the fluids and see how it goes. one thing at a time. and a SS kit will make the lazy grinding (EDIT) LESS prevalent for some people. Since the it is easier to match the timing of clutch in-out while sliding into gear.

There are times I have to sort of double clutch before 3rd will take. I shift into 3rd, let out the clutch, quick grind, stick pops out of 3rd, press clutch, put back into 3rd. What I have noticed is the lever goes about halfway, it feels like it has slotted in, but it hasn't. Of course it happens so infrequently I can't get the car to do it when I take it to the dealer.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #4
Well... 3rd is smooth (the fiesta is probably the only car I didnt grind gears on), 1 once or so a month is frequently grinding if you ask me... so how long did you have this car for that 7k miles?

Dont be lazy, do not grind gears.
I would change the fluids and see how it goes. one thing at a time. and a SS kit will make the lazy grinding (EDIT) LESS prevalent for some people. Since the it is easier to match the timing of clutch in-out while sliding into gear.
I don't think I'm getting a SS kit, I want to get the gated shifter whenever that comes out. I've only had the car for about 4/5 months, and this hasn't happened frequently it just happens sometimes. How bad is grinding gears though really? It seems to only ever happen in third, and this:

There are times I have to sort of double clutch before 3rd will take. I shift into 3rd, let out the clutch, quick grind, stick pops out of 3rd, press clutch, put back into 3rd. What I have noticed is the lever goes about halfway, it feels like it has slotted in, but it hasn't. Of course it happens so infrequently I can't get the car to do it when I take it to the dealer.

This is my exact problem. Maybe its just a thing our cars do? It happened last night, after a 2+ hour drive home in a fair amount of stop'n'go, and I cant really think of the last time it happened, it just has before. Obviously I try not to take lazy shifts, but sometimes it just wont take 3rd, for no real reason.

uhm... i cant speak for everyone but my 3rd is about my favorite gear. its very smooth and no issues of grind or popping out. gear grinding is almost never normal unless youre driving a tractor trailer.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #6
uhm... i cant speak for everyone but my 3rd is about my favorite gear. its very smooth and no issues of grind or popping out. gear grinding is almost never normal unless youre driving a tractor trailer.

I mean 2nd & 3rd is where all the fun is with this car, and I agree grinding isn't normal or welcome. But someone else has the exact same problem as me, so maybe its just a quirk. The only mod I have that could affect it is the RMM, have you done anything to your car?

i have the cpe rmm and stage 1 ots flash... for now. got stuff coming by mail lol...

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #9
i have the cpe rmm and stage 1 ots flash... for now. got stuff coming by mail lol...

Well after reading the other threads and seeing that this is a semi common problem I ordered the shifter bushings so when I take the thing apart to see whats what, I can tighten up the shifter at the same time.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Have you changed the tranny fluid yet? The break-in tranny fluid will seem to grind more if it hasn't been changed.

The 3rd gear is pretty smooth. Just in case you didn't already know because we do have some new to manual drivers here, the transition from 1st to 2nd is quite different than from 2nd to 3rd. If you do it the same that may also cause some grinding.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #11
Have you changed the tranny fluid yet? The break-in tranny fluid will seem to grind more if it hasn't been changed.

The 3rd gear is pretty smooth. Just in case you didn't already know because we do have some new to manual drivers here, the transition from 1st to 2nd is quite different than from 2nd to 3rd. If you do it the same that may also cause some grinding.

Sent using Tapatalk
I haven't changed the fluid I was planning on doing it at 10k, I think its the cable linkage because all of my forward gears seem to have a shorter throw than the aft gears. I ordered some Al bushings, so well see if that helps when I get them

Had a half shaft replaced due to a torn boot (under warranty, barely, since I was less than 30 miles from 36,000) and I am looking at the paperwork. Looks like they put in $35 worth of transmission fluid. So... Maybe it was low from factory? Something to check. Hopefully that solved it for me.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #13
Had a half shaft replaced due to a torn boot (under warranty, barely, since I was less than 30 miles from 36,000) and I am looking at the paperwork. Looks like they put in $35 worth of transmission fluid. So... Maybe it was low from factory? Something to check. Hopefully that solved it for me.

I have an appointment for Friday for some other stuff, so I'm gonna have them check this out too.

When they pull an axle, they MAY leak fluids, so they might have topped you up.

Second thought is standard procedure to change your fluids at the given mileage and working on replacing axle.

It almost sound like a lawsuit if the car was under filled.

When they pull an axle, they MAY leak fluids, so they might have topped you up.

Second thought is standard procedure to change your fluids at the given mileage and working on replacing axle.

It almost sound like a lawsuit if the car was under filled.
Okay. Maybe it leaked a bit. Not enough to warrant the quart they listed though, I hope. That sounds rather excessive for a half shaft removal. The scheduled mileage for trans fluid change is at 150k miles. I don't think I am waiting that long. I'm thinking of doing gaskets, belts, and fluids at 60k.

And maybe a quaife diff and a spec clutch and flywheel. We'll see how the economy is doing in two years.

man if i get a solid raise, id jump all over a lsd. for now i broke the bank on some intercooling goodies. lol

Or save for retirement.

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]