Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Should I wait for RMM before running stage 1 93 oct Cobb tune?

I do not launch the car and I'm under the impression that's when an RMM upgrade is required.
I am trying to pick an RMM now, want one that has the least amount of increase in NVH or change in drivability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
If you feel the wheels hoping when you put power down that is likely the RMM. If you hear a hard knock when shifting hard (not just launch but a quick 1 to 2) that is the RMM. You don't need it but it helps. Here is a video.[video=youtube;SfQUrLCX-MM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQUrLCX-MM[/video]

Zormecteon

These things can be done in nearly any order as the $$$ become available... BUT .. even with no tune, my car would scrabble. Not just from a dead stop launch, but in first and also in second gear IF I was really nailing it. The Cobb AP removes the hp limit in those gears, so the effect (would be, I never had the Cobb, jut the mountune 215) even worse... . .. an LSD would help, but I personally don't want to spend that kind of $$$. The RMM fixed it.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!

Can't hurt but my first impressions are ok so far with the stock motor mounts coming from a FoST. Like stated before if you are getting wheel hop or feel excessive engine movement then go for it.

I was originally planning on all 3 mounts, now that has changed to just the rear and re-evaluate. This will be my next mod and some chassis bracing. I already have a Tune+ tune and MAP intake.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
So far so good but I have not hard launched the car. Based on what I've read the '16 model like mine may have a slightly better RMM from the factory. I will still replace it in the future though.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You don't need it. I have the Cobb RMM, MR coilovers, and a 2pt brace and STILL get wheel hop. In my experience there's no eliminating it totally. FWD and lots of torque is what it is. If i had to do over again, I'd still get the RMM for the added benefits of better shifting and more connected feel. But not to eliminate wheel hop.

Zissou

I do not launch the car and I'm under the impression that's when an RMM upgrade is required.
I am trying to pick an RMM now, want one that has the least amount of increase in NVH or change in drivability.

You don't have to get the RMM before doing stage 1, but I recommend doing them about the same time. I bought my first and second RMM after doing that same stage 1 tune.

Based on what you're describing the RMM that is best for you is honestly just the stock one. But if you do want to stiffen things up with the slightest increase in NVH then I recommend the Cobb or Mountune.

The Boomba is the opposite of what you want. I've had both the Boomba and Cobb. I'm loving the Cobb. Here's my review of both: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7995-Cobb-and-Boomba-RMM-Review