Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So, you think the OEM system is terrible?

Not so fast.

I actually think it's pretty good. And to confirm, I decided to RTA and FFT my base system. Although... I do have a sub in the car, it's crossed at 63hz.

Averaged measurements taken at the driver's headrest.

That's not too shabby!

Little higher resolution FFT.

So, I honestly don't know what you guys are hearing that I'm not. There is a bit of a hump in the vocal region that I'd rather see smoothed a bit, but it's definitely not the worst curve I've ever seen by a long shot.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I'm personally happy with my Sony system but at the same time I don't really blast my music either.

felopr

i am not a music expert or anything but i think so too that the sound on this car is good
2 changes that i could do is:
1) To hear the sound good (volume wise) you have to turn it up alot, so maybe change the speakers to a higher wattage? ( or is it me that i am going deft lol)
2) i little bit of bass, since there is no subwoffer on the car, quick remedy to this without doing the whole mess of putting a subwoffer on the car is to change the rear speakers for ones that are more tuned for bass instead of vocal

i hope i am expressing it right and you guys can understand me

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
The low end is actually pretty decent for a stock system. The problem lies with a lack of power. That, and the resonances created by the door card.

Some door treatments would go a long way toward cleaning up the low end response.

And of course... adding an amplifier for more, clean power.

I just installed (in a temporary spot) a Focal class D 6 channel and I am really enjoying it- as well as the stock speakers.

felopr

where are you getting the RCA signal from?

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
What kind of sub do you have in your FiST?
At the time of that RTA... it's a 70lb monster 12" in a gigantic box that I hate. But I happen to be in the middle of auditioning several 12's for a review that I'm doing. The box is almost 3 cubic feet and takes up the entire stinkin hatch.

Seen in the background of this pic is the small sealed I use normally while I finish out the spare tire area. BUT... sealed doesn't quite have the low end reinforcement that we need to overcome the factory EQ that pulls voltage below ~ 35hz.

I scoped and DMM'd the output voltage of my sub amp and after ~ 35hz... the output voltage takes a nose dive.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
where are you getting the RCA signal from?
I tapped into the factory speaker wires behind the HU. My amp accepts high level inputs into the RCA's so all I did was solder bare RCA ends onto the speaker wire and straight into the amp. You can do the same thing with $20 LOC's though.

I tapped into every channel with speed wire, then fed it from the amp back to the harness to utilize the factory wiring to power the doors from my new amp.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
And speaking of finishing the spare tire well...

I'm 'glassing the whole thing in for a sub box and amps rack.

Taped up.

Mocked up.

'glassed and ready for construction.

FocusMike

You just earned my subscription haha. Will this box be for one sub?

And speaking of finishing the spare tire well...

I'm 'glassing the whole thing in for a sub box and amps rack.

Taped up.

Mocked up.

'glassed and ready for construction.

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
You just earned my subscription haha. Will this box be for one sub?
That's... kind up in the air. But I believe it will be. I am thinking about a single 15" sub. Or perhaps (4) 8" subs. That would be pretty cool.

My plan is to compete in sound quality competitions with the car, but I also compete in SPL (with my other car) so I might chase points in the FiST sometimes.

I had the front stage all planned out too.

I was *going* to do rear door dedicated midbass from ~ 60-300hz, put 3" wideband midrange in the front doors and replace the tweeters. This is the Melodic Acoustic Euphoria Trilogy.

I also had my amps. One for each side. Zed Mikro IV. Teeny tiny and lovely. And autographed by the man himself.

I'll have plenty of power on tap for the sub as this is the smallest amp I own. Lol. Temporary spot while I finish the amp rack and what not. (don't mind the mess).

Or maybe I'll use this one? Lmao.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome aboard Taylor, very impressive setup you have there. Are you doing the sub testing for a company or personal blog?

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
While I had the dash torn apart for OEM integration, I decided to make a little better use of the most useless dash pocket I've ever seen. Lol.

Bass knob, power/clip indicator and a voltmeter. It's not perfect, but it's sort of temporary because I'm not sure I want to stay with that voltmeter. Or at least that color.

Something I have noticed since installing a dash mount voltmeter is... our cars don't charge!! It seems perfectly happy at 12.2v-12.6v. It only really charges back up to 14.4v during downshifting or coasting in gear. Which is particularly annoying to a car audio guy like myself. This, I assume, is a fuel saving measure. And I *hope* the alt will kick in during times of heavier draws from my sub amp.

But I have my voltage/amperage supply problems on lock with my new lightweight battery anyway.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
Welcome aboard Taylor, very impressive setup you have there. Are you doing the sub testing for a company or personal blog?
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't work in the industry, if that's what you mean. But I do a TON testing of various audio components. Amplifiers mainly. But there has been a new crop of up and coming subwoofer companies lately and I decided to see how they were.

I currently have seven different 12" subs to listen to and test. They will all be companies you're not likely to have heard of other than perhaps Sundown Audio (which will serve as my "control").

I post about my testing on FB and car audio forums. But if the FiST community is interested, I can certainly post my results here as well.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Yes please do, this is really great stuff you are compiling and I'm always eager to learn more about car audio. I've come accross Sundown Audio on NewEgg while searching for computer parts, but never really looked into the brand, definitely interested in your results.

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't work in the industry, if that's what you mean. But I do a TON testing of various audio components. Amplifiers mainly. But there has been a new crop of up and coming subwoofer companies lately and I decided to see how they were.

I currently have seven different 12" subs to listen to and test. They will all be companies you're not likely to have heard of other than perhaps Sundown Audio (which will serve as my "control").

I post about my testing on FB and car audio forums. But if the FiST community is interested, I can certainly post my results here as well.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I think it sucks:)

But, the tiny chip amp is part of the issue, a major part, and no sub is a major part, not found of the tweeter location as well but I no longer have an RTA(used to have the Audio Control one)

Since my car is a combo including TT race car I have to really watch the weight gain so simple two way, sub, 5 channel amp, little processor...minimal but effective sound deadening is it.

Looking forward to your progress on this, sure it will be great:)

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
I think it sucks:)

But, the tiny chip amp is part of the issue, a major part, and no sub is a major part, not found of the tweeter location as well but I no longer have an RTA(used to have the Audio Control one)

Since my car is a combo including TT race car I have to really watch the weight gain so simple two way, sub, 5 channel amp, little processor...minimal but effective sound deadening is it.

Looking forward to your progress on this, sure it will be great:)
I've seen you mention the tweeter location before. And not to be contrary but... I think it's fine. Physical location of the HF driver is primarily for stage height and the factory location does it adequately. Enough so that I think doing custom pillars is unnecessary UNLESS you want to add a larger tweeter to increase sound power response.

I got these little spheres to perhaps audition a larger tweeter here.

I would just drill them out to the size of whatever tweeter I decided on. They would wind up looking like this.

And as some of you may know a sphere is an excellent baffle shape. Especially for tweeters where the very earliest diffractions are the biggest concern. They're also a little higher, little deeper and you have the option of aiming them to suit. It's also very little modification to the car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have only heard one top notch competition system with the tweeters in the doors that I liked, mine sound like they are right beside me. I have not competed or judged in many years and only did it for a year but beat a prior world champ, twice, became a judge at an invitation only 10 vehicle, all prior championship cars, winner takes all event, 10 judges, got to co judge all ten so I do know what sounds right and good to me so maybe stuck in my ways a bit;)

The one vehicle that I liked with tweeters in the doors was a Vanagon, either in it or later a Sprinter he won a championship so I guess it can work:)

My favorite location is mids and tweets in the kick panels but it does not work in some vehicles, pillars is a simple and effective way to raise and center the stage and put it out in front. I have done many installs like that because I like it and it is easy, I usually just cut holes in the pillars, tight fitting, wrap grill cloth around them, pull them through, tighten the cloth, glue in place. The hardest part is insuring they aim correctly, at each other, sometimes tilted up slightly, never back at me.

I have heard some incredible dash pod, mid and tweet, competition installs that were incredible but I never wanted to look at them in my installs.

--------

I like your spheres:)

And your amps:)

--------

Ever do horns? I have a couple of times, love them when done right and I have a 3-way horn system in my house on a little 10 watt tube amp, takes two 15's to keep up the bottom end, Oppo 83SE player.

--------