Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

front end clunk

Anybody else having this issue? when I pull into parking lots, speed bumps etc. there's some sort of clunking in my front end, I think it's on the right front. also notice it when im braking, but that could just be the brakes and my paranoia. Not sure what it could be. When it was on the lift to put my winters on didn't notice anything but it's going to ford on Thursday to get looked at as its only getting louder, it also needs an alignment so might as well get both done at the same time. Could it be because I'm on lowering springs. The guy who put them on also broke my passenger side sway bar end link as he said it was loose and tried to tighten it but it snapped? but he replaced it so I'm not sure if its that either. Any ideas?

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Did you just get it lowered recently? Wouldn't surprise me if its some how related to the spring install.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The biggest problem after changing the suspension is getting the end links torqued correctly.
If your installer had used a torque wrench, he would not have broken one.
More then likely he was then gun-shy and now they are too loose.

Dave

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The biggest problem after changing the suspension is getting the end links torqued correctly.
The biggest problem? C'mon now. If you are a moron, maybe. I don't torque wrench shit except for lug nuts and it is for sure not my biggest problem.

I'd worry more about alignment and making sure bolts aren't loose.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The biggest problem? C'mon now. If you are a moron, maybe. I don't torque wrench shit except for lug nuts and it is for sure not my biggest problem.

I'd worry more about alignment and making sure bolts aren't loose.
Your comment is uncalled for.
Although you may be correct as I believe that you are far more knowledgeable than I.

This very problem has been seen many times before and almost always the same fix.
The issue was a clunk noise.
Although you are correct, an alignment should be done after any suspension change.
However alignment being off a little should not cause a clunk.

The last part of your comment does validate my statement.
I also do not use a torque wrench that often.
But many do not possess the skills that you have.
The use of a torque wrench was only suggested so as to approximate the skills you have naturally.

Dave

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
well I brought it to Ford and I'm not sure if they took it for a drive or not but they replaced both my front stabilizer links as they were loose and had a bit of play (under warranty at least). but that hasn't solved the problem as it's still clunky. As soon as I pulled away from the parking spot I heard it and all I could think of was "great". Maybe it's just something I'll have to learn to put up with or do a bit more research on but apparently that's all they could find.

I have noticed it seems to be only clunky a) at slow speeds b) while turning, going at normal driving speed, straight, hitting bumps and pot holes I hear nothing..it is strange.

me32

1000 Post Club
Are you still on the stock struts an shocks with your lowering springs?

Lesson learned. Never lower a Fiesta ST or any car for that matter. I think the car sits perfect straight from the factory. But to each their own. Good luck though.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Lesson learned. Never lower a Fiesta ST or any car for that matter. I think the car sits perfect straight from the factory. But to each their own. Good luck though.
I personally have lowered both of my Fiestas.
In fact the suspension components have been changed many times on my FiST as I have been testing for Eibach.
I know of quite a few others that have also put lowering springs on their Fiestas now and never had any problems.
Noise was experienced twice however and in both cases it turned out to be the end links not being tightened correctly.

Dave

With the roads I drive on, the stock suspension is borderline OK. This is my DD though, and not a track car at all. I've just seen too many lowered cars around here with cracked up front bumpers.

Dave, your car looks sweet. Nice job.