Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Speed wobble and loose front end

Hi all, noticed the past few weeks that I’ve begun to have a bit of shutter in the front end when going 75 mph+.

I figured it might be due to the tires being out of balance, so I got them balanced. Nope, still does it.

Then I thought it might be the hubcentric rings I got, and read some forums debating their usefulness and precision. Nope, not that either.

Unless the tire shop did a poor job, balancing, which seems unlikely because that’s really easy, I’m at a loss.

I also noticed that my front steering feels a little bit loose and not as connected as it used to. I had winter tires on that were out of balance for the first two weeks last winter, but I got those balanced, and it seem to iron itself out. Not sure if that loosened up some bushings or the end links or what.

I’ll be getting an alignment next month, but if that doesn’t smooth things out, I’m at a loss. Should I plan on installing new bushings in the front? have others had to do this?

Thanks!

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #5
Checked the torque specs on things up front. A few things needed more tightening - the lower attachments on the endlinks were slightly off (torqued them to 35 lbs/ft). The lower control arm ball joints were all good (my main concern). But the tie rods ends were also a bit off (torqued to 35 also iirc).

Took it for a quick drive, and seems better. We'll see if it's truly fixed on the drive the the National Tour autocross this weekend in Peru, Indiana!

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #7
BENT Wheel* Or Balance of the wheels are off/ Lost weights.
I mean I just had them balanced 2 weeks ago so I hope it’s not that - seems like a pretty trustworthy shop as I had them flush my brake and clutch system too and they knew how to use Forscan. But who knows

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I mean I just had them balanced 2 weeks ago so I hope it’s not that - seems like a pretty trustworthy shop as I had them flush my brake and clutch system too and they knew how to use Forscan. But who knows
Road force or static balance? I road force all the time as it simulates road driving.

Fiestig

Nothing wrong with having them double check. They should re-balance at no cost to you. While you are poking around you can also check your steering shaft bolt which from what I understand can become loose over time. I have never had this in any of my FiSTs but no harm done to just peek.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #10
check your steering shaft bolt which from what I understand can become loose over time. I have never had this in any of my FiSTs but no harm done to just peek.
Not heard this was an issue, but I’ll take a look next time it’s up on stands

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #11
Update: ran up to Peru IN for the national tour autox event (more on that later) and it seems to be mostly sorted. Much much better than two weeks ago when I was running to a different event and going faster than usual, around 85 miles an hour.

Still has a very slight wobble, so I’ll recheck the end links and see if the local shop will check their work on tire balancing. But much improved.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #12
Still has a very slight wobble, so I’ll recheck the end links and see if the local shop will check their work on tire balancing. But much improved.
Wobble is still there…

Out of town, but I’ll check that all is torqued to spec again when I get back. I also have some new-to-me wheels and tires en route, so we’ll see if that makes a difference.

I’m really hoping it’s not something weird with the front end from having unbalanced tires on before - might have to do new bushings all around if that’s the case. We’ll see

Fusion Works

Lift vehicle off ground one side at a time. Grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock. Rock back and forth. If play there, wheel bearing, ball joint, strut shaft bushing at seal head, or upper strut mount. Now switch hands to 9 and 3 o'clock. Rock back and forth. Play here will be inner or outer tie rod ends, rack bushings, steering shaft hardware, or possibly lower control arm bushing its its really that toast.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #17
Follow up - installed some new-to-me Enkeis with 200tws last night. Took it up to 90 briefly on the highway - and the speed wobble is completely gone now.

Called the place that balanced my 1552s and they are going to have another go at it, but relieved it’s not something more major in the front end.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #18
Nothing wrong with having them double check. They should re-balance at no cost to you. While you are poking around you can also check your steering shaft bolt which from what I understand can become loose over time. I have never had this in any of my FiSTs but no harm done to just peek.
@Fiestig for the win

Follow up - installed some new-to-me Enkeis with 200tws last night. Took it up to 90 briefly on the highway - and the speed wobble is completely gone now.

Called the place that balanced my 1552s and they are going to have another go at it, but relieved it’s not something more major in the front end.
I no longer use my 15-52 Podium SuperTouring wheels after only two sets of tires (RT660s). Road-force re-balance only temporarily quelled the wheel shimmy. Never have this problem with my older TD1.2 nor the newer Sparco FF1 wheels. 15-52 wheel problem coincidence? (Also PB FiST, charcoal Podium, but with optional blue hub nuts)…..Not from my experience.

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #20
I no longer use my 15-52 Podium SuperTouring wheels after only two sets of tires (RT660s). Road-force re-balance only temporarily quelled the wheel shimmy. Never have this problem with my older TD1.2 nor the newer Sparco FF1 wheels. 15-52 wheel problem coincidence? (Also PB FiST, charcoal Podium, but with optional blue hub nuts)…..Not from my experience.
Interesting. These came on the car, and I like the look well enough, but it’s a hassle taking the hub nuts and center plate on and off every time I change the tires. That and they’re heavy. I’ll see if what the tire place says tomorrow when they balance them…