Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

only 150km and already an oil leak

Got my brand new oxford white ST last week! Was super excited. Thought it was going to be a great little car based on the reviews and the test drive.
But should have looked more into reliability issues before i bought. Doing a little search, there seems to be a few posts about leaking oil and other issues.

No more then 150km into the break in i get an oil leak. Never drove it over 3000 rpm, Varied the rpm, etc. All the proper break in things.
I take it back to the dealer, of course they dont know where it's coming from. They add a dye to the oil. I bring it back to them a week later and they found the source to be a faulty camshaft seal.
And of course they dont have the part in Canada so they need to special order from the States. They say it will take 5 days to get the part then another day to put my engine back together.

I bought this vehicle 2 weeks ago and its been in the shop half of that. I understand things can happen but if Ford QC didnt catch a big ass oil leak before it left the plant im worried about the other things they missed. I bought this car and was hoping to keep it for 5-7 years but if things are going wrong already im worried what happens after warranty. Im sure a job like this would cost a small fortune if it wasnt covered.
This is my forth brand new car ive had a subaru, acura and a bmw never had any issues except with the beemer and that was after 5 years. I never thought id buy a Ford, really thought i never would, they are not really known for their reliability like some other makers, but it was just so fun to drive. Im really starting to think i made the wrong decision now.

Anybody else have an issue like this? Did it reoccur after it was dealt with?

This is my first post .... too bad it has to be negative :(

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Glad to see another BC FiST owner, however! I've taken my TB down to Vancouver twice, now, and hadn't seen any others.

My car had issues with the heater blower jamming from snow buildup, but a TSB-issued cover install fixed it. I don't expect you'll need to worry about that where you live. No other issues.

Minor issue to me, luck of the draw. 7,000 miles for me and zero issues.

Also, do you think you my be overreacting just a bit? I understand it's a new car, but NOTHING is perfect and you have a warranty.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Sorry for your issues I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction and the car go one from there without issue.. Not that it helps but others and by others i mean VERY FEW have had worse issues like a motor going south and yet others with clutch issues and axel seals leaking too so it is Sad for anyone with issues on a new car but it is only a machine built by man so it won't be perfect.. If it helps when I did my LSD install I had to source my diff bearings from the UK or wait till I pulled my trans apart to get the bearing number and then had to find a axel seal that fit as Ford did not have them listed yet either.. So I sorta feel your pain of waiting for parts..
Hope that wasn't too long winded ;)

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
Also, do you think you my be overreacting just a bit? I understand it's a new car, but NOTHING is perfect and you have a warranty.
I dont know maybe it is an over reaction but im sure you can understand my frustration. I bought a new car to drive it, not to drive a rental car. By the end of this week ill have driven the rental car for as long as my own car. That is extremely frustrating.

Maybe your used to buying cars that need to be brought back and fixed... ive never had to do that ever to a new car. I guess im mostly worried because Ford "Fix Or Repair Daily" still has that unreliability stigma attached to them and Im already dealing with issues at 150km so worried about what grief the car will give me at 80000km.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
Another reason this really sucks is because I have my Cobb stage II shipped and on its way already haha

I understand the frustration, I drove Honda's for many many years. What I don't understand is expecting things to be perfect on anything, especially a mass produced vehicle. You have a new vehicle with a warranty, ENJOY IT.

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
I understand the frustration, I drove Honda's for many many years. What I don't understand is expecting things to be perfect on anything, especially a mass produced vehicle. You have a new vehicle with a warranty, ENJOY IT.
Would if i had it ;)

He could also mean enjoy the warranty... there's a reason warranties are offered on new products...a lot has to do with the government knowing things that are new do break due to various reasons and not in all cases should the new owner be responsible for the issue....It does suck, absolutely. A warranty is something you never want to have to use, but it's better to have one than not. Also if it keeps having issues there is a no lemon law, so that is there to protect you as well. That aside, I am truly sorry you are experiencing the issue and I hope it gets sorted out for you quickly. You may possibly want to reach out to Meagan or one of the other FSRs on the forums (I know Meagan is one break right now, but there is someone covering for her) and just loop her in to the communication between you / the dealership CSM.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
I know new things can break too and i hardly think i am asking for perfection. To me it seems the car engine has been leaking from manufacture. It had 30km on it when i bought it. Youd think when they put together an engine they would maybe run it for a while and if something is leaking fix it there instead of letting the customer deal with it. I honestly do believe that someone did know about the oil though because when I checked the oil on the day i bought it, it was already over filled. Im assuming it was overfilled to compensate for the leak. Im assuming most fords dont come with overfilled oil.

Anyway its really comforting to have the warranty now but im concerned when the warranty expires and I dont have that protection.
Anyway I really hope i am over reacting and there isnt another issue but an issue that puts me out of my car for a week after a week of ownership, isnt really confidence inspiring.

I also paid my first car payment today... love paying for a car i dont get to drive... ya i got lots of problems haha.

Thanks for the info... i may have to reach out to Megan.

...You may possibly want to reach out to Meagan or one of the other FSRs on the forums (I know Meagan is one break right now, but there is someone covering for her) and just loop her in to the communication between you / the dealership CSM.
I'm back! Thanks for the shout-out. :)

...i may have to reach out to Megan.
Hi glen,

We have 2 Ford Canada reps on the forum (Kwasi & Nikki), you can reach out to them here.

Meagan

...No more then 150km into the break in i get an oil leak. Never drove it over 3000 rpm, Varied the rpm, etc. All the proper break in things. I take it back to the dealer, of course they dont know where it's coming from. They add a dye to the oil. I bring it back to them a week later and they found the source to be a faulty camshaft seal.
And of course they dont have the part in Canada so they need to special order from the States. They say it will take 5 days to get the part then another day to put my engine back together...

Allow me congratulate you on your recent purchase, glen. Please PM your VIN, full name, phone number, and dealer info; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager to assist further.

Kwasi

OP
G
Thread Starter #15
Allow me congratulate you on your recent purchase, glen. Please PM your VIN, full name, phone number, and dealer info; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager to assist further.
I'm already "talking" with someone but thank you for your reply. They tried calling once and left a message Ive called twice now left 2messages hopefully they will call back one day, but its not really necessary at this point. I actually just got my vehicle back yesterday, 8 days later. 5 days to get the part, I guess its too much to ask fed-ex over night or 3 day the part, and then 14 hours of shop labour.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem and I dont have anymore oil leaks. Ill update after 500km later.
Such a waste of my time. I'm pretty much over this car and Ford at this point.
Its already on craigslist. I should have got a Subaru to begin with, dont even know why I considered a Ford.

OP
G
Thread Starter #17
Good lord, all over an oil leak.
Exactly.

Such a simple little thing turns into such a long frustrating experience.
Dont want to see what a big thing turns into.

Thanks!

Your expectations are a bit over the top. You had an oil leak, they ordered the part needed. You grew impatient when things didn't go exactly as you wanted them to. News flash, you are not the only customer they have and much worse things happen with new cars every day.

OP
G
Thread Starter #19
Your expectations are a bit over the top. You had an oil leak, they ordered the part needed. You grew impatient when things didn't go exactly as you wanted them to. News flash, you are not the only customer they have and much worse things happen with new cars every day.

My expectations are over the top? Ya I dont think so. I expect my brand new car not to leak oil. I think thats a pretty reasonable thing to expect from a new car. Maybe your used to that sort of thing being a Ford owner for a while. This is my first and I'm not.

Ok so my brand new car is leaking oil. Sure lets say mistakes like that should happen. 5 days to get a seal? Give me a break. U cant tell me that thats not a long ass time to get a seal.

If Ford has so many bigger issues with new cars that they cant deal with my "minor" issue then that is a news flash.