Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter Cable Popped off

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
You have any of those fancy bar napkin type drawings of which way the bend should be on the adapted piece ? like towards the shifter lever or towards the firewall/radio

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
In the photos Russ put up, you can see the acute angle the Boomba shifter ball makes with the OEM socket. Lowering the ball should help, but it reduces the shorter throw due to a reduction in the lever arm. My idea might also not work depending on the angulation necessary to engage first and second. Spherical rod ends are limited in this respect. They are stronger than ball and socket, however. Are we sure that the shifter cable is not binding against the sheath and increasing the binding?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
This happened to me on a test drive of a stock dealership fist with 7 miles on it. I drove it 2 miles from the dealer, and started my "test methods", and it ended up stuck in 4th. It was an awkward drive back to the dealer, but I'd seen enough. I drove 4 hours a couple days later to buy a fist with recaros.

At the time, the car was not mine to tear apart. But after it started happening to my car at the track, I got really scared then when I found it, I was happy it wasn't anything major.

A doubled over set of zip ties in an "x" shape to hold it in would prob solve it.

Funny story... I had a saturn SL1 that I powered shifted ( I know... ) and I thought I broke the trans. I went and pulled a new trans for it 80 miles from home, the next weekend, cleared my Sat/Sun to get it swapped and.... Step #1 remove shift linkage inside car. Step #2.... Return trans to junkyard. Lol. I thought I broke the trans and it was just crappy linkage. Luckly, I didn't waste anything but time...

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #24
Update:

Popping off got worse even at gentle shifting and lower speed and since this was a daily driver, this was especially dangerous in China traffic. I decided to readjust the height and shift distance to 30% (position 2). Problem is fixed, but now it sucks having longer throw which is definitely noticeable. In this case I'm going to choose reliability before function.

MOFiST

Update:

Popping off got worse even at gentle shifting and lower speed and since this was a daily driver, this was especially dangerous in China traffic. I decided to readjust the height and shift distance to 30% (position 2). Problem is fixed, but now it sucks having longer throw which is definitely noticeable. In this case I'm going to choose reliability before function.
Did you try a cable tie fix? I haven't has the issue yet but I don't really hard shift hardly ever. It does make me want to revisit it though because it'll likely happen at the worst time.

Wow! Maybe Boomba or Mountune can come up with a countermeasure. I was considering a shift kit when I get my FiST later this year, but now I have concerns. [confused]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Those nylon bushing will deform more they popoff. It seems yours may have loosen some much that they cant remain connected.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am using Montune's short shifter and Boomba's handle in the shortest possible position.
I have had a cable pop off once at the track and it was my screw up.
Maybe you have a bad cable and it needs to be replaced.

Dave

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #29
Did you try a cable tie fix? I haven't has the issue yet but I don't really hard shift hardly ever. It does make me want to revisit it though because it'll likely happen at the worst time.
I can't find a way to cable tie it down, anybody got a picture of this? It always seem to slip off.

Those nylon bushing will deform more they popoff. It seems yours may have loosen some much that they cant remain connected.
I'm under that assumption as well. Progressively got worse.

I am using Montune's short shifter and Boomba's handle in the shortest possible position.
I have had a cable pop off once at the track and it was my screw up.
Maybe you have a bad cable and it needs to be replaced.

Dave
Will have to look into that, I'm not a fan of getting OEM items from the stealership.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Will have to look into that, I'm not a fan of getting OEM items from the stealership.
Contact Steve Powell at Tasca Parts.
800-598-1484
I think you will find the best price there.

Dave

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #31
Contact Steve Powell at Tasca Parts.
800-598-1484
I think you will find the best price there.

Dave
Don't forget I'm in the 5th highest import tax country in the world.

jayrod1980

I know this thread is old but would I run into much chance of popping off my linkage with just the fswerks short shift plate?

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #40
I remember seeing Rodmoe's fix for this on his build thread.
It looks drastic but I guess it's likely worth it if it's happened to you.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/590-rodmoe-s-Blue-by-You-Build?p=104972&viewfull=1#post104972
Xero did you ever resolve your issue?
Yeah, I readjusted the Boomba short shifter to Position 2 (middle position), which is only 30% reduction. Never popped off again. I do miss the extra 10% once a while though.