Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter Link Cables chafing

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
OK so i forgot to post this last summer but it's here now.

The problem I'm having is the 2 cables that run from the shifter to the Xmsn are rubbing and have gone clear through the the cable housings. in my field of work ( aeronautical ) this is a big no no. not sure if this is a warranty claim or not. You should all go check on this if you have some decent mileage on your cars, the chafing is occurring right where the cables are held up by a metal tab. the lines cross and rub like hell. let me know if you guys are having this same issue.

cable rub 1.jpg

cable rub 2.jpg

Uhg, that's ugly. I'll have to check mine. Have you done any mods to shifter or linkage?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
OK so i forgot to post this last summer but it's here now.

The problem I'm having is the 2 cables that run from the shifter to the Xmsn are rubbing and have gone clear through the the cable housings. in my field of work ( aeronautical ) this is a big no no. not sure if this is a warranty claim or not. You should all go check on this if you have some decent mileage on your cars, the chafing is occurring right where the cables are held up by a metal tab. the lines cross and rub like hell. let me know if you guys are having this same issue.

View attachment 3706

View attachment 3707
Are you running an aftermarket RMM/ roll resistor?

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
[MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] i have poly filled my RMM and it has worked out great so far.

[MENTION=757]timboslice[/MENTION] Yes i have the boomba short shift adapter.

The issue is is i found this out while getting the car ready for the mods i was installing. it seems on my car the cables are crossed where they clamp ( not in photo as i disconnected the cables from xmsn to install xmsn parts ).

JPGC

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] i have poly filled my RMM and it has worked out great so far.

[MENTION=757]timboslice[/MENTION] Yes i have the boomba short shift adapter.

The issue is is i found this out while getting the car ready for the mods i was installing. it seems on my car the cables are crossed where they clamp ( not in photo as i disconnected the cables from xmsn to install xmsn parts ).
That's crazy and some pretty intense rubbing. I was just wondering about the RMM because I maybe thought that if you were still using the stocker that it may have caused that, lol. Imma go check mine now.

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
[MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] it was before i poly filled the stock mount.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Yikes! That is NO BUENO.

I need to get in there and wrap them where they touch eachother. Adding it to my list.

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
now i have 41000Km but then i probably had 30k km ish...
[MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]

Took it to ford and they said "thats fine, its not all the way through, there is nothing we can do" lol BS

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I would contact the Ford service rep on this board to do some investigation. Probably not an issue now but this is not normal wear and tear for sure.

now i have 41000Km but then i probably had 30k km ish...
[MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]

Took it to ford and they said "thats fine, its not all the way through, there is nothing we can do" lol BS
Wow. I'd hold the line on that one. "It's not all way through", that's a riot. It looks like it is already all the way through the protective sheath, now it will start damaging the cable. Maybe that is what they meant, it's only a problem when it has worn all the way through the cable. ;)

I'm with the above poster, take it up the chain. I forget if [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] is just US or North America but either way Meagan can probably get you in touch with the right folks. That issue needs to be taken care and is pretty blatantly a defect and not something you caused.

Good luck, keep us updated. I'll have to keep an eye on this when I get my Fist.

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
[MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] does this look like an issue to you? My dealer says no. But then again they also never seem to be of any help.
I think its linked to the soft torque mount in the car alowing too much movement with the cables.

Thanks

The canadian is [MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION]
Hey CanadianGuy, thanks for directing him to me! [twothumb]

[MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION] does this look like an issue to you? My dealer says no. But then again they also never seem to be of any help.
I think its linked to the soft torque mount in the car alowing too much movement with the cables.

Thanks
Hi lessard.dcj,

I'd say it's definitely a concern that should be looked into. [:)] Send over the year, current odometer reading, and your preferred dealer; I'll check it out.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

OP
lessard.dcj

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Send over the year, current odometer reading, and your preferred dealer; I'll check it out.

Nikki
Ford Service CA
The car is a 2014 41000km but was around 25-30k at time of photo, Murphy Ford in Pembroke ON. is nearest but they don't seem to take care of vehicles there as shop workers just pop in the car without putting any protection down on the seats, then they grind the car 2-3 times getting it into reverse then i don't even want to know about what is going on in the shop. then when i get my car back it's dirtier then when it went in... actually can i get an email address of the complaint department when this issue is done because i have a host of complaints about this shop.

Sorry i have lost my train of thought.

Thank you for your help Nikki.
Its nice to communicate with someone that cares a little about standing behind a product they sell.

MOFiST

I had a look at my 10000 km car today. No signs of chafing. Thanks for the heads up, will continue to keep an eye on it. Good luck getting this sorted. Curious if the guiding bracket has a sharp edge on it to cause this or perhaps it's just too tight?