Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

aftermarket seats...

Pete

Thanks for the info but that didn't answer my question as I was talking about the base model seats compared to the recaro optioned seats. May be a little confusion.

JP
Both recaros and standard seats have airbags. I bought my car with the recaros then sold them for cash plus the base seats. They boths have airbags.

Not trying to be unpopular here, as I know a lot of folks have the Recaros. I personally think the Fist Recaros are the worst of any I've sat in. My EvoX would be a close second. I like the Recaro brand, but I have a trim build, and I just couldn't deal with these as a DD. I have no idea how the bigger guys do it. Track car, of course. But not as a commuter for me. Recaros can certainly differ quite a bit between vehicle applications.

Luckily, I had access to a Recaro Fist (and a Fost) before I purchased and chose the standard seats instead. So glad.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Too be perfectly honest I have kinda a love hate with them, love them drive spritely, hate them after unlimited wings Thursday's lol! Wish we had the option to get the Recaro RS seats

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not trying to be unpopular here, as I know a lot of folks have the Recaros. I personally think the Fist Recaros are the worst of any I've sat in. My EvoX would be a close second. I like the Recaro brand, but I have a trim build, and I just couldn't deal with these as a DD. I have no idea how the bigger guys do it. Track car, of course. But not as a commuter for me. Recaros can certainly differ quite a bit between vehicle applications.

Luckily, I had access to a Recaro Fist (and a Fost) before I purchased and chose the standard seats instead. So glad.

Unlike most on here, I just do NOT trust Recaro as a company, since I feel they have screwed me over, despite their seemingly glowing rep everywhere.

I have one of their SPD (Speed now) recliners in the driver's side of my current (not a FiST) car.
Although I will admit it is somewhat comfortable for a highly bolstered seat, it started FALLING APART not even two years from brand new (bolster cushions crushed, 'Avus' material thread bare and wearing right through to the foam, the bottom suspension TOTALLY snapped to the point where I had to 're-string' it with stainless tie wire, etc.).

I am neither overly heavy, nor massive, and was manically OCD about how I got into and out of the car, in order to 'save' the bolsters/cushions/cover.
Recaro would neither warranty this seat, NOR even sell me replacement cushions or covers for it, so I basically threw away ~$750.00

Now I know that comparing their aftermarket products to their OEM supplied stuff may be oranges to kiwis, and yes, it is covered by the warranty for a while, but, I do NOT feel like handing them $2000.00 for seats after MY experiences with them, so I will also be one of the few who swap out the standard seats for either a good shell (Racetechs), OR a good recliner (Cobra Daytona alcantaras). ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I installed a Sparco Grid seat in my ST this last month. I didn't use rails so I had to drill into the seat base I bought from Sparco. I'm the only person who drives my car so I am okay with the seat not being adjusted. I really love the seat with my 4 point harness which has the asm in the right strap to make it street legal. Also their is a hole on the bottom of the seat for a five/six point harness which conveniently is just above an ac vent. So I have an ac seat now :) I daily drive my car and the seat is very comfortable for me. It took a week for my leg muscles to adjust pushing the pedals at different angles but that was it. Also the seat base from sparco was a direct bolt in and has an attachment point for the inner harness belt. I had to use side mounts for the seat as well.
The harness is attached to the stock rear seat belt points while I design a rear 4 point rollbar for them to strap to later.

THANK YOU!! [thumb]

I want to do the same, but maybe with one of the non 'halo' type of Racetech seats.

What did you do to turn off, or cover up, the resultant AIRBAG dash light when you disconnected the connector, install a resistor into it, or have someone 'write it out' of the BCM, etc.???

Do the factory 3 point belts still work (contact your thighs and chest/shoulders) with the Grid??

Pete

THANK YOU!! [thumb]

I want to do the same, but maybe with one of the non 'halo' type of Racetech seats.

What did you do to turn off, or cover up, the resultant AIRBAG dash light when you disconnected the connector, install a resistor into it, or have someone 'write it out' of the BCM, etc.???

Do the factory 3 point belts still work (contact your thighs and chest/shoulders) with the Grid??
I didn't bother with the factory seat belt as I would have had to remove the bottom buckle from the oem seat. As for the light it is on but doesnt bother me. I'm used to it from my track days when I remove the passenger seat. I do plan to go to the wrecking yard and cut off the plug for the seat and make a resister for it one of these days. Just been busy with summer stuff as of late.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Grids are definitely side mounts only, correct, or are they one of their street friendly either/or (side OR bottom mount) seats?

Don't you get ALL kinds of S**T in Cali for ANY kind of dash light on during inspection, even if it is not an engine/emissions related light or DTC?!?

Pete

The Grids are definitely side mounts only, correct, or are they one of their street friendly either/or (side OR bottom mount) seats?

Don't you get ALL kinds of S**T in Cali for ANY kind of dash light on during inspection, even if it is not an engine/emissions related light or DTC?!?
Correct the grids are side mount only. And since the airbag is not emissions related we don't get hassled for it when it comes time for smogging the car. Also police don't have an issue with the seat as I've been pulled over twice in them and they were more concerned of my no front plate.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Correct the grids are side mount only. And since the airbag is not emissions related we don't get hassled for it when it comes time for smogging the car. Also police don't have an issue with the seat as I've been pulled over twice in them and they were more concerned of my no front plate.
OK, COOL! [cool][driving]

Given how draconian the gummint is there in the Republik Of Kalifornia, I thought they would go out of their way to LOOK for ANYTHING they could nail you on.

With my luck here in Pennsyltuckey, the damned MANDATORY privatized garages, which over-change for just the inspection to begin with, will try and fail me just so that they would have an excuse to try to charge me $1000.00 to put the stock seat back in. [}(]

anyone know how much the cloth basic fiesta st weigh? i wanna do an after market seat install too to save some weight and have better bolstering. i know the factory recaro st seats weigh alot

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
anyone know how much the cloth basic fiesta st weigh? i wanna do an after market seat install too to save some weight and have better bolstering. i know the factory recaro st seats weigh alot
+1

I may pull one out of my car and weigh it, once I take delivery. ;)

My factory non-recaro passenger seat is 48lbs. This is plus or minus two pounds because I used the bathroom scale.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Both recaros and standard seats have airbags. I bought my car with the recaros then sold them for cash plus the base seats. They boths have airbags.
Yes, we can thank good old Joannie Claybrook for that, for if she had her way, and soon it will come to this, the WHOLE DAMNED CAR will be one GIANT, moving, exploding whoopee cushion to "save us from ourselves". [nono] [mad]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My factory non-recaro passenger seat is 48lbs. This is plus or minus two pounds because I used the bathroom scale.
YIKES, that much?! [crazyeye]

I guess Rick was wrong since that is a good deal more than almost any aftermarket recliner seat, including the bases, mounts, etc. (let alone a LIGHTER race type shell, including it's alloy side mounts, etc.!), and I'm sure the much beloved Recaros weigh a good deal more than the base seats!

Even though I am 61 myself, I can 'live with and endure' a little "discomfort", and "inconvenience" (last I checked these were NOT 'luxury cars' LOL) to save that overall weight (yes, even if it is saved in the "wrong place"), as well as be held in place much better than even the vaunted, 'sacred' Recaros. [wink]

YIKES, that much?! [crazyeye]

I guess Rick was wrong since that is a good deal more than almost any aftermarket recliner seat, including the bases, mounts, etc. (let alone a LIGHTER race type shell, including it's alloy side mounts, etc.!), and I'm sure the much beloved Recaros weigh a good deal more than the base seats!

Even though I am 61 myself, I can 'live with and endure' a little "discomfort", and "inconvenience" to save that overall weight (yes, even if it is saved in the "wrong place"), as well as be held in place much better than even the vaunted, 'sacred' Recaros. [wink]
I weighed it 3 times b/c i thought it was off, but my 45lbs kettlebell weighed accurate on the scale. The nice part is that the seat took literally 2 mintues to take out. Four t45 or t50 Torx bolts and a plug. Good info for any track day bros

Original J-Pat

Yeah I'm good with my non recaro seats then it's my daily driver and I don't want no airbags in my seats and I'm sure no aftermarket seats come with airbags lol