Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

Eventually I'll post a thread about it

Internal bearing failures

Very easy, Motul does not meet every specification that Ford wants with the trans. I'll venture out and claim I have more miles then anybody on this forum with Motul fluid. I drove 55k miles in less then a year. So my reasoning in my head is you guys don't have the same amount of miles I do.

My car is parked and sourcing all my parts and she will be back eventually.
Yes I can also be one of the few who had transmission problems but me being an over thinker, I'll only use OEM Ford in the trans this time around to let me sleep at night.

I understand this is not a popular post, but I also know this is my 10th car and my cars are maintained more them by other person I've ever know

My 350 would get driven two hours, raced all day and driven home with no issues. This car is known to overheat driving in traffic lol and the trans didn't even make it to 65k. Weather I blame the flood or not....this will likely be my last Ford
Just curious, were you running 300, or DCTF? I know people have been using both.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Very easy, Motul does not meet every specification that Ford wants with the trans. I'll venture out and claim I have more miles then anybody on this forum with Motul fluid. I drove 55k miles in less then a year. So my reasoning in my head is you guys don't have the same amount of miles I do.

Yes I can also be one of the few who had transmission problems but me being an over thinker, I'll only use OEM Ford in the trans this time around to let me sleep at night.

I understand this is not a popular post, but I also know this is my 10th car and my cars are maintained more them by other person I've ever know

My 350 would get driven two hours, raced all day and driven home with no issues. This car is known to overheat driving in traffic lol and the trans didn't even make it to 65k. Weather I blame the flood or not....this will likely be my last Ford
I hear you, but Ravenol MTF-2 meets EXACT Ford spec too... and like others have mentioned, did you use 300 or the DCTF from Motul?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

My OE trans went bad @26k....bearing failure....Ford didn't even wanna waste the time taking it apart....just said....it gets a new one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah like I said some cars did have trans problems and maybe I'm on of them. But I like to sleep at night so I'll stay with OEM junk. Plus my car is 5k over the miles so Ford doesn't want to help me out

I used
OE fluid 0k-12k
Motul 300 12k-40k
Motul DCTF 40K-64xxx

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This is why I usually go with oem, for better or worse. But the ravenol seems as close to oem more than anything else out there, so I might try that.

I know Dan (hey, it's Ivan from reddit) had issues with the stock stuff and 5/6 gear noise, but could be the underfill and not necessarily the fluid itself.
How much my '17 has is also a mystery, as some have drained 2L out of a factory fill, while other have drained 1.67L out.
One thing I can tell you, I experience zero gear/bearing noise and every gear feels like buttah!
I do get clicking and clacking at lower gear, but I am almost certain it's just the normal diff. slack being taken up as the clutch gets let out. Same like any other manual I have owned.

Regardless if I have issues or not, the fluid is getting swapped prior to hitting 7,500 mi. I would imagine that there's plenty of metal in there from natural break in. The same as when I had the diff in my mustang upgraded, new gears shed, plain and simple!

Whatever I put in, it will be 2 liters! And if that means I have to by 3 friggin quarts of oem to do it, so be it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This is why I usually go with oem, for better or worse. But the ravenol seems as close to oem more than anything else out there, so I might try that.

I know Dan (hey, it's Ivan from reddit) had issues with the stock stuff and 5/6 gear noise, but could be the underfill and not necessarily the fluid itself.
How much my '17 has is also a mystery, as some have drained 2L out of a factory fill, while other have drained 1.67L out.
One thing I can tell you, I experience zero gear/bearing noise and every gear feels like buttah!
I do get clicking and clacking at lower gear, but I am almost certain it's just the normal diff. slack being taken up as the clutch gets let out. Same like any other manual I have owned.

Regardless if I have issues or not, the fluid is getting swapped prior to hitting 7,500 mi. I would imagine that there's plenty of metal in there from natural break in. The same as when I had the diff in my mustang upgraded, new gears shed, plain and simple!

Whatever I put in, it will be 2 liters! And if that means I have to by 3 friggin quarts of oem to do it, so be it.
I'd go 10k miles for full break in on the trans, just so you won't have to do it for a long time after that and Ravenol MTF-2 does meet EXACT Ford spec, they can't void you using that. I personally feel better using actual manual gear oil over DCT fluid, but to each their own there... But good to see you on here man, hopefully see you around more.

redmoe

My biggest issue with the motocraft oem fluid is that it comes in 1 quart vs 1 liter. You need 2.11 quarts to get to the recommended 2L fill. Both the MTF-2 and the DCTF meet the Ford spec but the MTF-2 is a full synthetic and a little cheaper.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My biggest issue with the motocraft oem fluid is that it comes in 1 quart vs 1 liter. You need 2.11 quarts to get to the recommended 2L fill. Both the MTF-2 and the DCTF meet the Ford spec but the MTF-2 is a full synthetic and a little cheaper.
As in many other cases, the OEM approved alternative is simply better, period... the fluid that came out from OEM was watery, grey and nasty after only 12.5k when it's supposed to last 140k, LOL. No way I'm putting that garbage back in. Now with the oil filter I use the FL400S as it's been proven to be just as good as 3rd party premium brands, is cheap, and the larger size as it actually maintains pressure and temperature better as well.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been saying all along Ravenol MTF is the best fluid change I've done and that is very noticeable from the first test drive....and every time I drive it.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah guys I'm not one to forget that people have had transmission issues.

Maybe I just had a bad trans

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I'd go 10k miles for full break in on the trans, just so you won't have to do it for a long time after that and Ravenol MTF-2 does meet EXACT Ford spec, they can't void you using that. I personally feel better using actual manual gear oil over DCT fluid, but to each their own there... But good to see you on here man, hopefully see you around more.
Thanks! I will gladly take your advice and wait till 10k. This will give me more time to research (obsess over) which fluid to use. 🤔

I'm not particularly worried about warranty issues, provided the fluid meets Ford spec. But there has to be some reason why they went with a DCTF when they do have an MTF. Maybe it has something to do with syncro longevity. I remember reading up (forget for what car) that too slippery, even though good for gears, is bad for the synchros.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They had it on the Assembly line along with the normal fiesta with the DCT trans....Had extra and just threw it in ...IMO! [party] To save money!

Do these cars need to be on level ground to drain or can I do it on ramps? I plan to fill while leveled. Looks like the drain would be ok with the front jacked up just want to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do these cars need to be on level ground to drain or can I do it on ramps? I plan to fill while leveled. Looks like the drain would be ok with the front jacked up just want to double check.

You don't even need ramps or jacks....just turn the wheel and lay on a creeper...get a breaker bar or long handled 3/8 ratchet and let it rip....fill from above...way easier....what kind of fluid are you using also?

You don't even need ramps or jacks....just turn the wheel and lay on a creeper...get a breaker bar or long handled 3/8 ratchet and let it rip....fill from above...way easier....what kind of fluid are you using also?

Going with Ravenol MTF-2 since it meets spec and has been recommended by quite a few people including local guys that have used it in my climate year round. I can try doing it without it jacked up but getting under with it lowered proves to be a pain in the ass sometimes.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Going with Ravenol MTF-2 since it meets spec and has been recommended by quite a few people including local guys that have used it in my climate year round. I can try doing it without it jacked up but getting under with it lowered proves to be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Did you read my post on that fluid? I'd suggest doing so...its very helpful!

Last edited:
Did you read my post on that fluid? I'd suggest doing so...its very helpful!

I saw that you highly recommended it is that what you mean? I read a lot of different threads on different platforms that recommended it so I have two bottles sitting in my garage for this weekend :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I saw that you highly recommended it is that what you mean? I read a lot of different threads on different platforms that recommended it so I have two bottles sitting in my garage for this weekend :)
I'd do it on ramps, that gives you plenty of room... also recommend fill from the top with a tube funnel, I bought a pump to pump from the bottom up and wish I had just got a tube funnel to fill from the top, it was messier and more difficult to pump upward in my case.