Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1,000 miles on a failed tire

I just put 7,000 miles on my 2019 FiST, driving two round trips between Prescott AZ and Chicago within two weeks around the holidays -- picking up a granddaughter and returning her to school. I've raved before out what a terrific road car it is -- smooth, quick passing on two-lane highways and EXCELLENT brakes/steering (a repair truck pulled in front of me on the Kansas Turnpike and I stomped hard, making a very accurate and quick stop while steering between the truck and the median guardrail, but the brakes stopped me before I needed that space).

Elsewhere on this trip, I hit a pothole or big bump or something on the driver's side, and noticed circumferential tear beginning where the tire mounts to the rim on the front tire, and lesser so on the rear. Having a full-size spare (but only one), I drove on about 1,000 miles from home, a little more gently and hoping if the tire blew suddenly I'd maintain control.

I was within 15 miles from home when the tire pressure warning light came on. I stopped and the "rip" had started leaking. I pulled over instantly (it only takes seconds to find yourself ruining the rims with these low-profile tires), changed to the spare and made it the rest of the way without incident. It's amazing that I made it so far.

The OEM tires were the Michelins, and will be replaced with Generals at Walmart shortly. Of course I had to order them (did so from the road the day I saw the tear), having had to replace a tire due to a simple unrepairable flat earlier in the car's life. They were due anyway, treadwear-wise, after nearly 40,000 miles.

That's complaint #1 -- a size nobody has in stock.

Complaint #2 -- such low-profile tires are a joke when faced with any kind of pothole, and even in Arizona where I now live, there are threats of potholes. As much of my recent driving was in Illinois, which should be renamed "The Pothole State" instead of "Land of Lincoln," I'm sure I'd have had to replace them way before this.

I know these low-profile designs let me execute gee-whiz super fast turns, but that's not my driving style. I try to avoid rallies and track events, too (actually, I completely avoid them!), and wish I had a bit better protection against imperfections in the road surface.

But speaking of the car and having lived in it five long days in a row on the returning-to-school trip, I have never owned one better than this FiST. It's a hot sports car with a back seat and trunk!

A Chicago pimp was once buried in his Caddy, seated behind the wheel. I think I'm going to make the same request with my FiST.

:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I blasted out the OEM Michelin passenger front on a near the shoulder CRATER right turn which I did not see in the pitch black, un-lit, night of early last spring.

The OEM setup was just a temporary daily driver thing for me anyway, since even besides the ridiculous 'rubber band' profile sidewalls, I just am NOT enamored of the looks of the factory wheels on this car (one of the only things I do not like about it's aesthetics [wink]), unlike many on here who LOVE them, and they were getting replaced soon anyway for daily use, and sold when it is fully paid off.

IF Ford gave us the much better looking to me, 'EAP'/Ford Racing multi-spoke 17x7s (especially in black) from their parts bin, instead of what we got, I most likely would have held onto them. [wink]

I then ordered a set of bronze Konig Dekagrams (16x8) wrapped in Nitto Neo Gen 205/50-16s, problems solved, easily. [thumb] [:)]