Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6L versus 1.5L

I see Ford has gone to 1.5L Ecoboost engines in the Escape and Fusion. I gather this gets them under a restriction for the export market to China.
Any chance the Fiesta might get this smaller engine down the road? Looks like it has similar power, but would hate to see this change.
Just wonder if Ford would continue to build too very similar engines long term.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Given the current WRC regulations, I assume the 1.6L will stay in the Fiesta

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I see Ford has gone to 1.5L Ecoboost engines in the Escape and Fusion. I gather this gets them under a restriction for the export market to China.
Any chance the Fiesta might get this smaller engine down the road? Looks like it has similar power, but would hate to see this change.
Just wonder if Ford would continue to build too very similar engines long term.
I wouldnt hesitate to say we will see smaller engines in the future.
Given the current WRC regulations, I assume the 1.6L will stay in the Fiesta
Ford wantas to sell cars before anything else.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Ford wantas to sell cars before anything else.
They can sell all the 1.0L and 1.6L non turbo Fiestas they want. The 1.6T will stay in as long as they are in WRC and the regulations apply.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
They can sell all the 1.0L and 1.6L non turbo Fiestas they want. The 1.6T will stay in as long as they are in WRC and the regulations apply.
The 1.6 will die off probally in the next few years. CAFE regulations take affect soon. Like I said racing is second selling cars and making profits are first.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The 1.6 will die off probally in the next few years. CAFE regulations take affect soon. Like I said racing is second selling cars and making profits are first.
I understand, but I'm pretty sure they sell something like 2 1.6T Fiesta ST's to 20 normal Fiestas. They can afford to keep the 1.6T for homologation purposes.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I understand, but I'm pretty sure they sell something like 2 1.6T Fiesta ST's to 20 normal Fiestas. They can afford to keep the 1.6T for homologation purposes.
They ould but they most likely wont. My dad has been a gm, fleet gm for 30+ years and even he said this engine will probally be gone in a few years.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
They ould but they most likely wont. My dad has been a gm, fleet gm for 30+ years and even he said this engine will probally be gone in a few years.
Well who knows what the WRC homologation rules will be in a couple years, maybe it will be 1.5L instead of 1.6L and that is why they are moving towards it. ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would imagine they will just get better and better working out how to make the most power out of the least fuel so a much more modern 1.5 could end up better than the getting older 1.6 they now have.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I guess the 1.5L is supposed to be a 1.6L with a little less displacement ( duhh ), but with a lot of the tech that makes the 1.0L so fuel efficient.