Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1,800rpm start. Access port reads -16f oil temp. Temp outside was 48f

Drove my 2015 St 7 miles back from the auto shop after waiting in their lobby for approx 1 hour for my oil change. (Also checking out a leaky tire). I’ve taken my cars here over a dozen times and was in a hurry to get home so I forgot what my receipt. (I will be calling in the morning for that) I haven’t drove the car since my 7 mile journey home after it’s oil change. I was going to run to town an hour ago and the temp outside was 48f. I go to start my car and it hesitates for about 2 second and then fired up roughly to 2,000rpm like it never has before. Then down to 1,800 which is still absurdly high. Approx 30 seconds after start up I get my Cobb access port plugged in and once it booted up it was reading my oil temp being -16f and there is just no way. After about 60 seconds of idling with my car at 1,600rpm and access port now reading -8f oil temp, I fearfully shut it off. Then once I sitting in there after shutting it off, I turn the dash on my pressing the start/stop button without my foot on the clutch and it sounded like I could the the electricity, in a not so pleasant way. Sparked plugs were changed approx 2,500 miles ago with stock plugs gapped by myself to 0.028. Oil change was done roughly around 6,200 miles. Car is on a stage 1 Cobb OTS tune with just a Cobb filter and Mountune induction hose. Bought at 53,xxx, currently at 69,xxx. Car has been running the stage 1 ots tune for approx 20,xxx miles smoothly and reliably. All fluids changed around 10k miles ago. Until I get a receipt I cannot rule out the shop putting the incorrect oil in my car but even then, I have a hard time seeing incorrect oil causing a 2,000rpm rough start and access port reading -16oil temp. Please anyone offers there insights, especially if you’ve experienced anything similar. Could not find ANY information on this occurring with our cars

Last edited:
Drove my 2015 St 8 miles back from the auto shop after waiting in their lobby for approx 1 hour for my oil change. (Also checking out a leaky tire). I’ve
I done every oil change myself.. can't trust anyone to do it right IMO. Plus they will probably put shit oil in.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
I have a gravel drive way and no garage or grass. So I typically stay away from going under. Definitely has me reconsidering though! Scared shitless right now

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
If all they did was change the oil and fix a leaky tire, nothing should have changed. Your battery is old if it's the original. This car hates old batteries.

I would reflash the same tune and see if that fixes it.

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
If all they did was change the oil and fix a leaky tire, nothing should have changed. Your battery is old if it's the original. This car hates old batteries.

I would reflash the same tune and see if that fixes it.
My battery is fairly new. Don’t see what that would have to do with the idle and oil temp. Was thinking about re flashing in the morning though.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The oil temp. is inferred; there's no oil temperature sensor so the computer interpolates given coolant temp. (there's a sensor for that) so something is really pissing the computer off. The wrong oil weight or shitty oil wouldn't cause any of the symptoms that you're seeing. I bet that they knocked a connector off or broke it, maybe even the coolant temp. sensor. Pull the engine cover off and look around for dangling connectors. Is the CEL light on?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I've taken my battery to the store twice thinking it was dead. Both times it turned out to be corrosion making a poor connection to the point the alternator wasn't charging the battery.

I would clean the terminals first, and make sure the ground wire is making contact then jump/run the car to charge the battery and see if that makes a difference.

Ford Community Posts