Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014/2015 Suspension on 2017+?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can’t be the only person who has taken an ST up dirt roads, through snowstorms, and into places where it wasn’t really designed to go. Having extra clearance has definitely saved me from unwanted scrapes / rubs / plowing (more) snow with the air dam.
Oh, trust me, your not the only one lol! I've driven my Fist all kinds of crazy places in the nc mountains.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I can’t be the only person who has taken an ST up dirt roads, through snowstorms, and into places where it wasn’t really designed to go. Having extra clearance has definitely saved me from unwanted scrapes / rubs / plowing (more) snow with the air dam.

One of the biggest appeals of the FiST for me is that it can be used for so many purposes. I don’t want to go too far down a path of modifications that makes it a one trick pony.

Absolutely agree that there are benefits to lowering but there are also benefits to staying at stock ride height ✌️
Let these owners with lowered rides try taking their FiSTs down any of 7 Islands' forestry roads, or any of the rough gravel roads in your state, or eastern N.H.

They would not make it a half mile in without tearing off (or at least severely damaging/bending) the whole front subframe, bumper/air dam, holing the sump/gearbox, etc., and even with a skid plate to protect those items, they would high center and get stuck.

I FULLY agree that a sane/practical, geometry considered lowering, with less wheel well showing looks great, and absolutely does not negatively effect the handling, but actually helps it.

It is just not a possibility for me, given the way I use this car.

Even those on here who do lower, and then add in the 'requisite' front traction bars/multi-point braces complain when they ding, dent, bend or tear apart/off those add-ons, even on relatively smooth paved roads, but when going over speed bumps, driveway curbs/aprons, etc., or hitting ice chunks, 'road gators', rocks, or other shrapnel.

This car may not have been 'designed to go' on rough gravel roads, but, I do consider it much more of a rally car than a road course/autocross car, as internationally/worldwide it has had much more success, and many more victories in that arena than on any road courses (even though YES, it is more than capable in those venues as well). [wink] [driving]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I understand that 16s are likely objectively better from a performance standpoints on the ST.

Turn-in / on-center response though, is largely about feel. Even if a high performance 16 inch tire with stiff sidewalls has better turn-in than the OEM setup, wouldn’t that same tire on a 17 inch wheel have better steering feel? Or is there something I’m missing?

Also, regarding ride height…from a performance perspective, lowering center of gravity is certainly beneficial. But keep in mind that the stock height has a couple of advantages. Autocross (as you mentioned) and versatility as a daily driver. I can’t be the only person who has taken an ST up dirt roads, through snowstorms, and into places where it wasn’t really designed to go. Having extra clearance has definitely saved me from unwanted scrapes / rubs / plowing (more) snow with the air dam. Also, having taken a cross country road trip with a hitch bike rack, I needed every cm of clearance I had to avoid dragging the rack on uneven surfaces. One of the biggest appeals of the FiST for me is that it can be used for so many purposes. I don’t want to go too far down a path of modifications that makes it a one trick pony.

Absolutely agree that there are benefits to lowering but there are also benefits to staying at stock ride height ✌️
ok look like I said before I am delivering info I see both sides of this coin.

I have clearly stated facts about what the chassis was designed for the disadvantages running a 17 on our cars actually outweigh the one thing you seem to be hung up on turn in.
IMO

Fact is we can only run two tire sizes on a 17 on our cars without running into clearance and rubbing issues . A 16 does give more breathing room to make a metaphor and yes you can make turn in on a 16 match a 17. I run both size wheels on my car but tend to prefer 16 and feel 16 is better suited as do a lot of others here.
If want to run a 17 by all means run them. I choose otherwise and have knowledge enough to make those decisions having owned my car for almost 4 years now.
When the threa was started there was no clarification of sticking with stock ride height nor was there a fear of losing turn in due to wheel size that man
If you don’t want to lower your car more power to you, I am not telling you too all I did was speak up about the fact that…...Swift springs are great springs and they do not lower the car so dramatically as some who have not used them seem to think.
I am not telling you to lower your car I just pointed out some choices and alternatives and yes the factory shocks really are not that great. When you started this thread you asked simple questions about they suspension I pointed out the alternatives and possibilities.

If you ask for information expect to get it and learn from it. Otherwise why ask right?

Oh and M Sport ya we know you are a off-road pro rally guy at heart. I do not have any dirt roads or places I would be taking my car down anyways so ya some of us live in vastly different places and areas than you and its definitely not a one size fits all situation.
Have a nice day.