Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

215/45R17 Feedback - who's run this size, pros and cons?

OP
Fish Freak
Thread Starter #21
[QUOTE

So looks like the Nitto NeoGen is the last one standing in 215/40R17. Any good/bad feedback on this tire? Any feedback on road noise? Turn-in sharpness?
I can only comment on the stock size of the NeoGen. It is a great value for a well handling tire. The road noise has not been much of a factor, would definitely buy them again.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it would be fine for me, non auto X, only found thread where someone was negative on the Neogen, and with my Nor Cal climate, I think they'd be fine. Pixelzombie, did you find any drawback to them in scorching summer heat? Any greasy feeling?

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-the-michelin-a-s-3-and-nitto-neo-gens.19818/

pixelzombie

I can only comment on the stock size of the NeoGen. It is a great value for a well handling tire. The road noise has not been much of a factor, would definitely buy them again.
Sounds like it would be fine for me, non auto X, only found thread where someone was negative on the Neogen, and with my Nor Cal climate, I think they'd be fine. Pixelzombie, did you find any drawback to them in scorching summer heat? Any greasy feeling?

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-the-michelin-a-s-3-and-nitto-neo-gens.19818/[/QUOTE]
They were rather sticky tires in the summer, not greasy at all. I could not get them 'break traction' despite my best efforts. I was nervous to go beyond the numbers you see on the screenshot below.

Attachments

OP
Fish Freak
Thread Starter #23

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-the-michelin-a-s-3-and-nitto-neo-gens.19818/
They were rather sticky tires in the summer, not greasy at all. I could not get them 'break traction' despite my best efforts. I was nervous to go beyond the numbers you see on the screenshot below.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing, .99 g's, isn't that? Is anyone going past 1 g's on streetable or a/s tires?

pixelzombie

They were rather sticky tires in the summer, not greasy at all. I could not get them 'break traction' despite my best efforts. I was nervous to go beyond the numbers you see on the screenshot below.
That's amazing, .99 g's, isn't that? Is anyone going past 1 g's on streetable or a/s tires?[/QUOTE]
It certainly felt amazing as they were newly paved and they bank inwards. You have to allow for some error on those readings. The Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz GPS receiver is good for the price but I don't think it's considered high end.

TemecFist

Dont forget that a 215/45r17 is a taller tire than stock, which changes the gear ratio, which can make the car a little less "snappy" on the throttle, and a little more sluggish.

TemecFist

That's amazing, .99 g's, isn't that? Is anyone going past 1 g's on streetable or a/s tires?
It certainly felt amazing as they were newly paved and they bank inwards. You have to allow for some error on those readings. The Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz GPS receiver is good for the price but I don't think it's considered high end.[/QUOTE]

I've gone 1.4 g's on RT660's on the street, they are "streetable".....you just wont get alot of life out of them. I've also been 1+ g's on RSRR's, and Toyo r888r's on the street, it took more effort tho, but they definitely last longer.

Not sure if this link will work, but heres a video. R comp tires are noisy, something else to think about.

View: https://youtu.be/65o0KWcYTOk

Last edited:

pixelzombie

It certainly felt amazing as they were newly paved and they bank inwards. You have to allow for some error on those readings. The Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz GPS receiver is good for the price but I don't think it's considered high end.

I've gone 1.4 g's on RT660's on the street, they are "streetable".....you just wont get alot of life out of them. I've also been 1+ g's on RSRR's, and Toyo r888r's on the street, it took more effort tho, but they definitely last longer.

Not sure if this link will work, but heres a video. R comp tires are noisy, something else to think about.

View: https://youtu.be/65o0KWcYTOk[/QUOTE]
That looks very smooth, is that the stock suspension?

Dpro

6000 Post Club

That looks very smooth, is that the stock suspension?[/QUOTE]
ah no he is on MeisterRā€™s I believe GT1ā€™s to be exact. Temec correct me if I am wrong.

TemecFist

That looks very smooth, is that the stock suspension?
ah no he is on MeisterRā€™s I believe GT1ā€™s to be exact. Temec correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

Dpro, you are correct my friend. Those are the MeisterR GT1's.

Lays

If you don't mind me asking, what size are your RT660s?

I've been wanting a set to try, I loved my RE71R but from my understanding, the rt660 is a bit cheaper and similar? What has been your favorite out of all of those so far?

@OP I'm on 205/45/17's on my 17x8 hypergrams, and I have minimal rubbing on MeisterR zeta's, the rears don't rub at maxed out low, and the fronts are low enough so there's no gap, I get very light rubbing when I go into driveways on the liner, and occasionally when I smack really large bumps, the drivers side tire rubs the liner. I could raise it up 1/2 an inch and probably fix it though, just too lazy lol.

Last edited:

TemecFist

I've been wanting a set to try, I loved my RE71R but from my understanding, the rt660 is a bit cheaper and similar? What has been your favorite out of all of those so far?

@OP I'm on 205/45/17's on my 17x8 hypergrams, and I have minimal rubbing on MeisterR zeta's, the rears don't rub at maxed out low, and the fronts are low enough so there's no gap, I get very light rubbing when I go into driveways on the liner, and occasionally when I smack really large bumps, the drivers side tire rubs the liner. I could raise it up 1/2 an inch and probably fix it though, just too lazy lol.[/QUOTE]

They are 215/40r17 and I'm lowered, so non-lowered will have no problems fitting a 215/40r17. The RSRR's were 215/40r17 and I had no problems, and those run wide.

My favorite so far is the RT660 for the street (they warm up faster than a track tire), and the Toyo r888r (205/40r17) for the track (they withstand the heat alot better than the RT660's on the track, but take longer to heat up). The RT660 is definitely quieter than the Federals or the Toyos. I believe they are the exact same tire, even the tread pattern is almost identical. If you like the RE-71r's, get them now. I heard they are discontinuing them.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

@OP I'm on 205/45/17's on my 17x8 hypergrams, and I have minimal rubbing on MeisterR zeta's, the rears don't rub at maxed out low, and the fronts are low enough so there's no gap, I get very light rubbing when I go into driveways on the liner, and occasionally when I smack really large bumps, the drivers side tire rubs the liner. I could raise it up 1/2 an inch and probably fix it though, just too lazy lol.

They are 215/40r17 and I'm lowered, so non-lowered will have no problems fitting a 215/40r17. The RSRR's were 215/40r17 and I had no problems, and those run wide.

My favorite so far is the RT660 for the street (they warm up faster than a track tire), and the Toyo r888r (205/40r17) for the track (they withstand the heat alot better than the RT660's on the track, but take longer to heat up). The RT660 is definitely quieter than the Federals or the Toyos. I believe they are the exact same tire, even the tread pattern is almost identical. If you like the RE-71r's, get them now. I heard they are discontinuing them.
This sounds like I will be real happy with the RT660ā€™s.

Last edited:

TemecFist

This sounds like I will be real happy with the RT660ā€™s.[/QUOTE]

I think you will be as well. It's the best street tire I've found so far.

TemecFist

The RT660s are NOT the exact same tire. But Falken absolutely benchmarked the RT660 against the RE71R for the entire development cycle.

Oh boy.....here we go.
Yes, you are right, they are "technically" not the same tire......but they are pretty dang close. The RE71r was only slightly SLOWER than the RT660.....its close enough.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The RT660s are NOT the exact same tire. But Falken absolutely benchmarked the RT660 against the RE71R for the entire development cycle.
I did not say they were the forum fucked up Temecā€™s quote and made it look like I wrote what he posted. :ROFLMAO: if you look carefully at the post you will realize that I am trying to edit it now to avoid more confusion.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Oh boy.....here we go.
Yes, you are right, they are "technically" not the same tire......but they are pretty dang close. The RE71r was only slightly SLOWER than the RT660.....its close enough.
Tires being close in performance is not the same as "exactly the same tire". I guess I just took your post to mean that the RE71R and RT660 are the same rubber compound produced from same mold, etc. Or that the RT660 is the RE71R re-branded (which Bridgestone would never do as they are not the same company).

I love the RT660 though. got a lot of life out of my set last year on my Scion. Running a fresh set this year on both my Scion and Fiesta

TemecFist

No
Tires being close in performance is not the same as "exactly the same tire". I guess I just took your post to mean that the RE71R and RT660 are the same rubber compound produced from same mold, etc. Or that the RT660 is the RE71R re-branded (which Bridgestone would never do as they are not the same company).

I love the RT660 though. got a lot of life out of my set last year on my Scion. Running a fresh set this year on both my Scion and Fiesta

No worries my friend. I was speaking more along the lines of performance. To me, performance wise, they are the same. Tread pattern, rubber compound, etc all that stuff does not matter to me. I care about performance. If someone made a tire out of plastic, and it performed like an RE-71r... to me, they would be the same. Lol. I get what your saying tho. No worries!!!

OP
Fish Freak
Thread Starter #39

Holy CRAP it looks like you're hauling ass right there Temec!! Is that sped up at all? Wait, is that what I think it is on the shoulder? Snow?? Great you got a roll cage, hope you won't need it. Wait, do you, or is that my imagination?

Not that I wouldn't LOVE getting 1.4 g's in this fiesta, but I know I'll likely never get close to that, at least on the street. For me, some extra wear mileage and quiet leans towards my needs. Now my '68 Mustang build? That one might get a set of Falken RT660's! It might have a roll cage someday too.

OP
Fish Freak
Thread Starter #40
Dont forget that a 215/45r17 is a taller tire than stock, which changes the gear ratio, which can make the car a little less "snappy" on the throttle, and a little more sluggish.
Yes, and that was actually a reason I was considering this size, add some cushion and wheel protection, close the gap a little with stock ST springs. The increase the ratio is something I was worried about the most, and for that reason, after making this post, I've decided that the 215/40R17 will be the perfect solution, never mind the limited tire selection, I'll go with the Nitto Neo Gen because it's checking all my boxes. ...and thanks all you guys for your feedback, love how interactive FiST guys are about simple things like tires. Race tires may go on another set of rims if I ever do some road course trials.