Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

245 too wide for 8" wheel?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Tire place said they couldn't mount a 245/45-16 r888r on a 16x8 rpf1. I know it's wide.but I'm surprised. Not that they wouldn't but they couldn't, it was "floating around on the wheel" - anyone have any thoughts?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That sounds strange, as the OEM factory standard setup on my 4th gen Z28 was a 245/50-16 on a 16x8 wheel, and I put up to a 255/50-16 on it no problems at all (albeit yes, not 'ideal' for turn-in response/handling). [???:)][dunno]

Some tires don't like specific wheels, and some workers don't know exactly what they're doing... I'm going to guess it's the latter in this case. A 245 should not be stressing anywhere close to the limits of an 8.0 wheel, and as M-Sport pointed out it was a common stock sizing for GM.

Dialcaliper

Tire place said they couldn't mount a 245/45-16 r888r on a 16x8 rpf1. I know it's wide.but I'm surprised. Not that they wouldn't but they couldn't, it was "floating around on the wheel" - anyone have any thoughts?
That’s super weird, it varies by tire and manufacturer, but the Toyo published specs both on their website list 7.5-9.0” width range, with 8.0” as the standard “measured width” which is the mounting they use to determine the other specs (tread and section width, diameter) which change depending on the rim mounting.

Take the Toyo or Tire Rack spec sheet to them and show it to them. 8.0” is not just in the range, it’s standard fitment for R888Rs in that size, and the tire shop is way off. Tell them you want normal mounting, not hellaflush stretched tires.

Did they actually say it’s too wide, or just that they couldn’t get them to seat on the bead? They’re probably just complaining because R888Rs in all sizes are fairly stiff XL tires which like runflat tires are usually a pain to mount and seat compared with SL standard load tires.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-r888r/
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR6R888R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Otherwise, find a new tire shop.

Last edited: